PDA

View Full Version : 86/87 to 88/89 2 stage intake conversion

Accordtheory
07-28-2002, 03:14 PM
Has anyone done this conversion? I already have an 88/89 2 stage intake manifold and I want to know if it is easier to change the wiring, vacuum lines, ecu, etc to make this work on my 87 lxi, or to adapt the newer manifold to work with the existing setup using an rpm activated switch to control the butterfly valves...By the way, I know this manifold is worth 10 hp compared to the 86/87 style, and mine has been ported (as well as modified to accept 4 additional injectors to work with my turbosystem) so it should be worth a little more hp. If you know about this conversion, let me know, don't hold the 3g back!

A20A1
07-28-2002, 04:06 PM
sounds like you're getting ready for some serious modifications...

YK86
07-28-2002, 04:46 PM
I'm not sure about this but doesn't the dual stage manifold just change the curve and not really add power?? I thought most of the 10HP came from the higher compression pistons and to a smaller extent, the dual stage manifold and better header design???

jteuton
07-28-2002, 04:56 PM
i sure as hell ain't getting involved again

1988starter
07-28-2002, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by jteuton
i sure as hell ain't getting involved again :lol :lol :lol I remember last time.

Jims 86LXI HB
07-28-2002, 06:50 PM
Brian from the original board knows every little detail in doing the conversion. I don't remember word for word. But when he was done telling me everything I needed to do, I figured it made a hell of a lot more sense to buy are car that allready had it. It would seem like a cheap way to get 10 hp, but since like Yasu say's, part of the power increase came from a higher compression, and changing that could geteven more expensive.

POS carb
07-28-2002, 08:01 PM
it'll be good for 2 hp tops if set up properly

monsonhonda
07-29-2002, 09:19 AM
naw, in the high rpm,s it helps out alot, it worked really good in my 89 after honda cleaned the car up, the thing would go and then at somewhere between 4000 and 5000 rpm's the seccont set opened and the car grew another set of balls, like it would break the tires loose sometimes going up hill. my fucked up 88, with the 87 tb and intake manifold, dont ask, doesnt grow extra balls. i will be putting the 89 head, thermostat, distributer, throttle body, and intake manifold on the 88, once i get my cam and get the stupid error code #6 fixed. but yeah, it makes a difference, i always thought of uptting it on mechanical actuation, like the last inch movement of the pedal, so that you could keep the tourque in the low rpms, and then matt it at bout 3500 rpms, and get better power.

god i ramble too much

peace

fussell

GreenMachine
07-29-2002, 04:20 PM
I heard it is harder to turbo a dual stage intake manifiold is that true ?

MoonScryer
07-29-2002, 05:03 PM
Justin removed the dual stage system from his 88 hatch, so I'd say it's a pain.

Jims 86LXI HB
07-29-2002, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by GreenMachine
I heard it is harder to turbo a dual stage intake manifiold is that true ?

Well more importantly it make no sense what so ever on a turbocharded application. The purpose of the dual stage intake is to use a set of longer runners that inhance swirl in the combustion chamber, improving fuel atomization for improved burn and IMPROVED TORQUE. AT a certain rpm level that longer intake runner can't effectively deliver allot of air. So thats the reason for the other shorter intake runner that gets switched over to.

Turbo chargers are known for inhancing low end torque, so why would you want a longer more restrictive intake runner to inhance low end torque, that's what the turbo is going to do.