PDA

View Full Version : best type of paint?

accord3Gkidd415
10-22-2004, 04:06 PM
i've done some moderate research and found three tyes of car paint; urethane, lacquer, & enamel. i think that is also the order of from 'best to worst'. someone please correct me if i'm wrong. i need some suggestions & tips becasue i want to buy some good, quality paint and bring it to earl scheib (or macco if worst comes to worse) for paint. any good brand-name paints? i may also do some of the prep work myself to save some extra cash (just the easiest of the prep work like sanding). someone please help because i just want to get the best paint job for the cheapest that i can afford (for now), but i don't wan't to go to macco and waste money if it's just gonna get fucked up after a year....

DeeJay
10-22-2004, 05:32 PM
i think that urethane is for plastic only and lacquer is for metal, enamel i dont know what that is used for.

Headnoise
10-22-2004, 06:09 PM
I dont know about the types of paints... but the best brands... House of Kolor and Dupont...

They are expensive... But they are the best... it's what you can expect... A friend just painted his truck kameleon (purple/green/blue)... I'll find out what brand of paint he used and what type it was...

Of course... Those are good if you are painting the car yourself... I dont know what you would be better off with with any other company...

1 more thing... Macco can do a better job than the ambassador service... but you are gonna have to be willing to pay an extra price.. I think the whole job would be about 500 bucks... If you paint it yourself... you'll expect to pay ALOT less....

accord3Gkidd415
10-22-2004, 08:52 PM
DeeJay - "i think that urethane is for plastic only and lacquer is for metal, enamel i dont know what that is used for."

i believe that urethane can be used on cars, but i may be wrong.... anyways, anyone knows if this (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2496107398&category=63702) would be illegal to paint your car with (because the reflection may blind/distract other drivers?)? if it isn't i may want to paint the lower half of my body (from the side moldings down) with it or just paint my moldings all around...

anyone else have more info about paint to help us newbies out?

88Accord-DX
10-23-2004, 01:51 AM
Urethane paint isn't "just for plastic".

Tell you what, you want to get you car painted. I'll give you some insight. If you're paying someone to do it. Do all the "prep" work yourself. Sure you don't have air compressor and etc. IF you want to hand sand it or w/e, 320 grit or 360 will work. You can start off with a 150 grit, but finish off with 320.
I have urethane paint & clear. (2 weeks old)

88Accord-DX
10-23-2004, 02:02 AM
?

88Accord-DX
10-23-2004, 02:12 AM
Repost edit. Glitch

Urethane paint isn't cheap. I suggest go with acrylic. I used acrylic/urethane.

Robs89LXi
10-23-2004, 03:55 AM
Wow, that Hyperblack is cool looking. I'd love to see that on a car.

86lxihatchback
10-23-2004, 10:39 AM
Here is a few tips I learned when I painted my legend last fall. First of all make sure you use a good primer a cheaper one will work but after a few years the primer can shrink causing some problems. The best would be one that needs a hardener to cure. It is kinda pricey. I used a cheaper one though that just got mixed 1 to 1 with a paint thinner. Paint I just used a somewhat cheaper brand called Limco Supreme. Now for a real nice shiny surface I would use a urethane clear coat. That cost me around 120 for a gallon plus the hardener for it. I wouldn't skimp on the clear coat though cause all your shine comes from the clear, none from the paint whatsoever. With the gallon of clear I was able to put on three coats of clear on a four door legend. Your best bet would be to go to a local automotive paint supply store and have them help you. The one I went to was more than willing to help me out.