PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives to DynaMat?

pendejo
10-22-2004, 08:21 PM
OK, I have 2 12" JL Audio W3's in a 1.5cu ft ported enclosure powered by a single Orion 225 HCCA amp(In case you don't know, this amp was designed to have a low power rating but is capable of pushing more than 600 watts, for comps ya know). My trunk, among other things, rattles like a mutha. Anyone have any cheap alternatives to dynamat? Thanks.

Ludi Mali
10-22-2004, 08:23 PM
you get what you pay for in that area, second skin and edead are both good alternatives, their liquid products are supposed to be great too. theres brownbread, fatmat, raamat, and a whole bunch other that i can't remember. my stuff rattles awful too but since i can't hear it in the car i don't really care.

z3bra
10-22-2004, 09:59 PM
:lock: actually in some hardware stores they sell stuff that can work exactly like a dynamat, except you buy it in length, and its usually about a foot wide and however long you want it, i think its used for sealing roofs and whatnot, and its wayyyy cheaper, you just peel the tape off the back, and apply it to ur trunk

its also alot easier to work with because you dont have one big sheet

ill try and look for it and give you a link to it

ok its kinda like this: well the link isnt working, but here is what it looks like

http://www.homedepot.com/cmc_upload/HDUS/EN_US/asset/images/eplus/161459_4.jpg

just go home depot and search foil and youll see that

Strugglebucket
10-23-2004, 03:06 AM
there's raamat, which i have used and personally think is better than dynomat extreme.
only available in a big roll (62.5 sqft), but for $99 it's WAAAYYYYY cheaper than what you would pay for that much dynamat.

http://raamaudio.com/products.htm#

Mike's89AccordLX
10-23-2004, 07:02 AM
z3bra I have used that stuff on roofs and man that would probably work. It's basically strips of tar. I just put in a pretty large system into my 94 prelude and inside it sounds amazing but outside the trunk rattles and doesn't sound too good.

I have 2 12" Kenwood Excellon subs 1200watt peak power each. And I have them powered by a 1000 watt kenwood 2 channel amp. Then my in car speakers are amped by a 600 watt 4 channel amp and I have a 2.0 Farad capacitor that's digital. And a dual sealed box (it was the only none custom box that I could find to fit into the prelude trunk :( I had a box and it didn't fit so I had to spend another $100 and some odd dollars for another box.

So yeah I'm glad this thread came up b/c I need some dyna mat or knock off stuff for my car too :)

z3bra
10-23-2004, 02:47 PM
yea my cousin put some in his trunk and it worked like a charm, not only that but its 16" wide and 25' long, for 14.99 at home depot. Cant beat that, and thats more than enough to cover your trunk.

Ludi Mali
10-23-2004, 04:57 PM
i tried that roofing stuff, and it stuck too the floor of my trunk, but it fell off on all the vertical surfaces, some within a week and all of it by the first time it froze.

AccordEpicenter
10-23-2004, 05:41 PM
i used alot of greatstuf (spray foam) and it worked good but it traps moisture against the metal and can make it rust so be careful...

z3bra
10-23-2004, 06:12 PM
well for one, you shouldnt need to stick it to the floor of ur trunk (the more of it you use the more it deadens sound), and actually its not made to be removed, it has a tar backing just like dynamat

you must have been using something different, because when we used it we tried pulling it off a little and there was no way it was coming down, and my cousin has had it in his trunk for months now

actually ur suppose to put it out in the sun for a little, to heat that tar up so it really sticks

Mike's89AccordLX
10-23-2004, 06:18 PM
Well I went to my Home Depot and they don't carry it there but the manager said he will try and order some rolls of it from another store. I wonder if they don't carry it here b/c it freezes in the winter and the stuff might not work so well. Like that guy said it fell off when it froze out. I heard you can use a heat gun to heat it up and then it should stick good. I have a pretty decent heat gun I use for making clear lights and stuff.

Ludi Mali
10-23-2004, 07:22 PM
it was about 90-95 out when i put it on, and it would barely peel off when i tried right away, but after a while it all eventually came off the sides and trunk lid. I think the reason its good enough for roofs is that it isn't a 90 degree incline, usually more like 20-45, so it doesn't have to stick as well. the reason i put it on the floor was to try and block some of the waves from hitting all the loose crap on teh bottom of the car as it was rattling really bad down there.

Mike's89AccordLX
10-23-2004, 08:22 PM
So basically get a roll of this roofing stuff for the floors and get the good stuff for the walls and underside of the trunk lid.

pendejo
10-24-2004, 01:01 AM
Hmmmm... I think I'm gonna try that Home Depot stuff, since it's only $14.99, rather than $149.99 for dynamat!! Maybe if I use some extra adhesive of some sort, the stuff will stick better? Any suggestions on that? Also, my rear license plate used to rattle really bad, so I used some double sided tape (the stuff that holds molding on your car) behind it, think I could just put that in some key areas of the trunk where there is metal to metal contact to eliminate the rattle?

z3bra
10-24-2004, 08:04 AM
im pretty sure you wont have to worry about it falling off so fast, you can kill me later if i lied, but im telling ya we used it and it never came off, we couldnt even pull it off enough to reapply it where it wrinkled when we were putting it on

however if it does come off im sure you could use like gorilla glue, thats stuff is pretty strong, you can glue 2 bricks together with that stuff

blahblahblah
10-25-2004, 11:51 AM
FatMat $100 for a 100^3ft....Thin stuff, But its so cheap, put two layers on....

ivanfbi
10-25-2004, 02:32 PM
peel'n'seal from lowe's...really cheap, but better put 2 layers

Ludi Mali
10-25-2004, 03:36 PM
shove cigarette butts behind teh corners or your lisence plate, works like a charm.

shepherd79
10-25-2004, 04:56 PM
on my old accord, i did the whole trunk with dynomat. cost me a shit load too. but it was worth every penny.
to stop the trunk rattle, you have to remove every panel on the back. even the lights and put that stuff where there is direct connection between any object.
i covered the back dash, the sides of the trunk, the floor of the trunk, the openings for the lights, the trunk lid itself. and most important the middle lights opening.

after that i unstalled dynomat in all the doors, and i was saving money to do the whole floor, but i got rear ended.

the purpose of this post is that i spent over $400 on dynomat products, i had a chance to enjoy them for about 1 year. and the car got junked after that.

you can use that roofing stuff, but i since it is a tar product, it may give out some smell when it gets hot. to get that stuff to stick you have to actually use a roller and heat gun to melt the tar to the metal. this will create the strongest bond. also, since it is melted to the metal it will keep the metal or any other parts from rattling.

it is not as easy as you think to install this stuff properly. expect to spend sometime with heat gun and cutting knife. it took me 2 days to do my trunk, and another day to do my doors.

Ludi Mali
10-25-2004, 05:02 PM
true alex, it does take a long time to do it right, thats why i've always favored the liquid deadener, takes an hour or 2 to put it on, then you do another coat the next day, etc. and in my experience it works just as well as the mat based products too.

Bryan
10-25-2004, 06:37 PM
Second skin all the way.

Ludi Mali
10-25-2004, 07:12 PM
their new stuff, spectrum, is supposed to be amazing, its still in pre-order tho.

Mike's89AccordLX
10-25-2004, 09:18 PM
Hey Ludi Mali is that brush on sound deadenor stuff that Spectrum ? Or whats the name of that liquid stuff you were talking about and what's the price of that? I know I saw dynomat spray in the summit catelog but I dont remember how much it was. I think the brush on stuff would be the easiest to apply. How well did it work? Oh and where can you get that stuff at?

-Mike

Bryan
10-26-2004, 03:47 AM
There is a liquid stuff called cascade.

ryotto
10-26-2004, 04:51 AM
i put fatmat (http://fatmat.com/) in my car i like it, and it does'nt fall off not even in -30 degrees F. It's only $100 for 100 sq. ft. plus $25 shipping. I put 2 layers in both of my doors and 2 layers in my whole trunk.
before when you knock on the outside it sounds all hollow, but now its just a thud, it makes the thin sheet metal seem alot thicker.

if your looking between brand to brand its all basicly the same thing, the only factors are if it has aluminum outer sheet or not and the thickness. so just get the cheapest stuff you can find thats made for cars, and double up if its thin.

Ludi Mali
10-26-2004, 09:42 PM
spectrum is the liquid stuff from second skin, there also edead v3 which is from elemental design audio. im pretty sure you have to get both online. i just heard second skin was chosen to be used on pimp my ride this season, so thats gonna be a big sales boost for them.
heres a link to where you can order spectrum at a reduced price, not sure how long he's gonna keep it on sale tho:
http://www.secondskinaudio.com/specialpricing.html

heres a link to edead v3:
http://www.edesignaudio.com/edeadv3.htm

i've seen the edead stuff used at my buddy's shop, and it seemed to make more of a difference than the mat style deadeners especially since its easier to apply many layers. And from what i've read of reviews of spectrum it sounds like its even better than edead.
Oh yeah! Spectrum has a much nicer color, its a dark grey, whereas edead is smurf blue(i guess its easier to see if you missed a spot)

heres a link to a review of spectrum:
http://www.v6performance.net/forums/archive/index.php/t-33156.html

Brentm
12-04-2004, 01:12 AM
Does that fatmat stuff work as well as the dynamat extreme stuff? ebay has 100sq feet of fatmat for 100 bucks, and like 36 square feet of dynamat for about the same price, would I be better off to get 100square feet of fatmat or spend the extra cash and get 100 feet of dynamatt? I plan on doing my doors, floor and trunk. thats about it. how much would the doors and floor and trunk take? im guessing doors would be about 5-6 sq feet.

Mike's89AccordLX
12-04-2004, 02:35 AM
I bought 3 gallons of spectrum v2 and he messed up my order and sent the mat stuff instead. He let me keep the mat stuff and sent me 5 gallons of spectrum v2! The guy was very nice and I would definately do business with him again.

Ludi Mali
12-04-2004, 10:58 AM
yeah, ant's a reallly cool dude. post up a review when you get the stuff on, i can't find a good one anywhere on the net. As for fatmat, i heard that they were closed due to volume or something, so i'd assume its good stuff.

Nate2310
12-05-2004, 11:26 AM
rating 1-10

I had dynamat xtreme throught my entire accord (old car) was amazed w/ the results, better bass, less rattle, and it was just a louder system after that and road noise was way down
10!

fatmat did whole car (current car) happy w/ the low road noise but the results were not as good w/ the bass and rattle. it is cheaper but you get what u pay for and it wouldn't stick to the trunk lid very well, i reccomend the dynamat xtreme, i'ts the best stuff you can buy
5!

blahblahblah
12-08-2004, 08:58 AM
Get a heat gun (http://search.ebay.com/heat-gun_W0QQfkrZ1QQfromZR8) for like $10 off ebay and 1 of the fatmat 100^ft (http://www.fatmat.com/fatpaks/100.htm) and 1 of the 36^ft Rattle Trap (http://www.fatmat.com/Rattle%20Trap/Bulk%20Paks/36%20sq%20ft%20bulk%20pak.htm) for the trunk. You will have more then enough to put a layer of each in the trunk. Make sure the "Rattle Trap" is on the metal. The stuff works better than most I think. Only if you take more time and put it on right...I had my dash, carpet, seats, rear deck, you name it out of the car for 3 days doing this...Its quit like a caddy now and the stereo sounds great....

ryotto
12-31-2004, 10:05 AM
fatmat is made the same way as dynamat to my knowage. for the price of one layer of dynamat you can do like 3 layers of fatmat. if you dont want your mat deadener to fall off, you have to apply it in warm weather like on a 90-100 degree day or you might need a hair dryer. (tip. let the mat deadener sit in the sun for about 30 min before you start, because it will stick better) when i did mine it was about 90 degrees out and i dont have any problems with it falling off. but on my next car im going to do a liquid sound deadener because its easyer to apply. something like edeadv3

Ludi Mali
12-31-2004, 03:56 PM
i heard a really good trick for doing the floor of your car is to find a place that does spray on truck bed liners and get them to do your floor. Supposedly helps with roadnoise tons.

blahblahblah
01-24-2005, 08:13 AM
fatmat is made the same way as dynamat to my knowage. for the price of one layer of dynamat you can do like 3 layers of fatmat. if you dont want your mat deadener to fall off, you have to apply it in warm weather like on a 90-100 degree day or you might need a hair dryer. (tip. let the mat deadener sit in the sun for about 30 min before you start, because it will stick better) when i did mine it was about 90 degrees out and i dont have any problems with it falling off. but on my next car im going to do a liquid sound deadener because its easyer to apply. something like edeadv3
Or you can just us a heat gun to make it stick...

pendejo
02-03-2005, 01:12 PM
Update:

I just put in some of that stuff from Home Depot, and to my surprise it actually works fairly well. It doesn't stick very well though, so I don't know how long it will last, but it definitely reduced outside vibration noise, and it sounds 100% better inside now. I also put some along the edge of the trunk lid and the "rear deck"(for lack of a better word), where the rear speakers are. For $12, it's worth a shot. Now all I have left to do is "the big 3" and my system will be done!

Oh yeah, use 2 layers!