PDA

View Full Version : Light Weight Crank Pully

86LXItooFAST4me
10-24-2004, 10:49 AM
most of you know im looking for a Crany Pully and i dug up this old site i found a while back.

http://www.indigospeed.com/GTPullies.html

my question is does either one of the 88-91 Prelude 2.0L SI SOHC and/or the 90-91 Prelude 2.1L SI DOHC fit our cars???

86LXItooFAST4me
10-25-2004, 05:02 AM
BUMP, come on peps!

Vinny
10-25-2004, 05:10 AM
Old news, its been in the FAQ section forever :D

Are Underdrive Pulleys Available? (http://3geez.com/showthread.php?t=234)

86LXItooFAST4me
10-25-2004, 05:25 AM
lol, i know vinny, thats where i found the link smart ass :D but it doesnt say anything about the 86-89 accord. my question was does the prelude pullys work??

Vinny
10-25-2004, 05:31 AM
They had the accord one listed when I added the link to the FAQ. Maybe they dont have it anymore. I dont think the lude one will fit since its for an 88-91.

Answer you pm :D

86LXItooFAST4me
10-25-2004, 06:06 AM
ssshiieet, i guess ill call or email them then.

smufguy
10-25-2004, 07:57 PM
if you can contact Unorthodox racing, do so and tell them if they can machine you a new one resembling the old one that u are gonna mail them. UOR does all their pullys CNC and its not gonna be hard for them to do ours.

i was gonna go to them for mine next year.

Volitech
10-26-2004, 04:55 AM
I have tried contacting indigo speed about their under drive pulliey at least 20 times but they never reply!

Oyvind Ryeng
10-26-2004, 08:19 AM
Nobody cares about the harmonics that will kill the oil pump and all the bearings in the bottom end?

86LXItooFAST4me
10-26-2004, 10:10 AM
Nobody cares about the harmonics that will kill the oil pump and all the bearings in the bottom end?

these engines are internally ballanced so they dont have a harmonic ballancer. they are simply just crank pullys. no weight disribution on them. take one off and look at it. then send it to me :D

Oyvind Ryeng
10-26-2004, 10:26 AM
Really? I did not know that. Then the A20 scores one in the war againt the B-series.

smufguy
10-26-2004, 02:35 PM

yeah the A20 is pretty awsome-ly balanced crank from the factory. and dont worry harmonics, when you rebuild the engine with these pullies, the shop will take care of balancing it. ;)

SHURIK
10-26-2004, 02:41 PM
toofast is u want i can hook u up with a pully of my bs1 motor
u will only need 3 liters of gas to clean it but other then that its cool

SHURIK
10-26-2004, 02:57 PM
toofast is u want i can hook u up with a pully of my bs1 motor
u will only need 3 liters of gas to clean it but other then that its cool

Sean
10-26-2004, 03:58 PM
these engines are internally ballanced so they dont have a harmonic ballancer. they are simply just crank pullys. no weight disribution on them. take one off and look at it. then send it to me :D
even though the a20a is internaly balanced and has a nuetral balance 180* throw crankshaft it would be most unwise to use a lightweight crank pulley. i did find out from an engineer recently that the reason the flywheel is stepped was to reduce crankshaft harmonics becuase this little motor sports and almost 3.75 inch stroke. theres not a big enough journal on that length of stroke to have good journal overlap journal to throw and the big dampening ring that the clutch sits in serves to recude crank harmonics. also the pulley it self does dampen them out a tad as well.

ACE_14
10-26-2004, 04:46 PM
I called up indigo, and just like everyone else, they discontinued production of parts for the 3g. It sucks, just when we find out they make parts, they stop.

Robs89LXi
10-27-2004, 12:17 AM
I think you guys are confusing balancing with harmonics. Our crank pulley is heavy for a reason; I wouldn't mess with it. Listen to Sean, and look here:

http://www.overboost.com/story_intro.asp?id=1283

smufguy
10-27-2004, 05:12 AM
I think you guys are confusing balancing with harmonics. Our crank pulley is heavy for a reason; I wouldn't mess with it. Listen to Sean, and look here:

http://www.overboost.com/story_intro.asp?id=1283

you balance a crank to reduce harmonics. If a crank is not balanced, as u would know it would add to the hormonics and make this worse. What i dont understand even after reading thru the overboost techpage, how the crank pully comes in the force equation when its outisde the block. I know the new ones are either fluid or rubber dampended on the pully itself. So my question is, what if when you rebuild the motor and you get ur crank balanced really good and is also pretty quite balanced in the bottom end bloted down and not to mention the crank is Titanium coated (im planning on it) then the hardness would hinder the flexing of the crank while reducing the ill-effect of hormonics. Also, why not get a aluminum pully retrofitted with a fluid damper like other cars and be glad? Its not hard to do is it? u just have to find the right type of damper for the weight and size of the crank and custom machine the pully.

you guys think it wont be possible? what do u say sean?

86LXItooFAST4me
10-27-2004, 09:53 AM
even though the a20a is internaly balanced and has a nuetral balance 180* throw crankshaft it would be most unwise to use a lightweight crank pulley. i did find out from an engineer recently that the reason the flywheel is stepped was to reduce crankshaft harmonics becuase this little motor sports and almost 3.75 inch stroke. theres not a big enough journal on that length of stroke to have good journal overlap journal to throw and the big dampening ring that the clutch sits in serves to recude crank harmonics. also the pulley it self does dampen them out a tad as well.

so if i had a light weight pully and aluminum flywheel im going to have to get my engine balanced or what? just keep the stock crank pully?

AccordEpicenter
10-28-2004, 05:00 PM
even if the engine was almost perfectly balanced youll still get harmonics from all of the heavy reciprocating assembly (cranks rods pistons) and ive seen alot of material that directly shows how the the crank pulley (especially) dramatically reduce harmonics and without it, it will eat up the bottom end quite badly. The point is guys,
if you need power start with things that dont harm engine longevity. A lightweight flywheel is a MUCH better idea then an aftermarket crank pulley

Strugglebucket
10-28-2004, 06:15 PM
i'm not completley following. why would a lightweight crank pulley cause problems and not a lightweight flywheel? they're just on opposite ends of the crankshaft. or is it because under normal operation the flywheel is coupled to the transmission via the clutch?

maka_RTH
10-28-2004, 06:48 PM
the crank pulley is dampened using rubber or liquid, basically energy absorbing materials. the flywheel is solid metal, and therefore doesn't help much with the dampening effect. plus, the flywheel has a bigger radius, therefore reducing weight there is much more beneficial than reducing wieght at the crank pulley. and also yes, the flywheel is directly connected to the tranny as well. and it doesn't matter how much you balance the crank, it's gonna have harmonics. everything does.

Strugglebucket
10-28-2004, 07:36 PM
i wasn't aware our crank pulley was damped? unless you mean by the belts?

AccordEpicenter
10-29-2004, 05:37 AM
yes, the stock crank pulley is also a harmonic dampener/balancer, aftermarket crank pullies are not