PDA

View Full Version : electrical problems

88'er
10-24-2004, 12:36 PM
ok, i've got my car running good now, but i am having problems with the electrical system. my right front headlight blows the fuse everytime you turn on the high beam light, the headlights turn themselves off, and you have to twist the on/off switch to get them back on. sometimes they dim too, which i know is probably an alternator problem, but i am more interested in getting the headlights working right again. does anyone have any suggestions about where to start with this problem??? one shop here quoted me about $180 to trace everything down. i tried once but all the wiring is in a bundled so i didn't want cut into that. anyways if anyone has had this problem and knows what the fix is i really need to know!

nswst8
10-24-2004, 12:50 PM
The cylinder contact on the turn signal set up is wearing down. Its easier to replace this unit with a Junkyard one than it is to have someone trace it.
Good luck.

88'er
10-24-2004, 12:58 PM
cool, hey do u or does anyone have a pic of where that is and what it looks like?

nswst8
10-24-2004, 02:19 PM
cool, hey do u or does anyone have a pic of where that is and what it looks like?

Its the entire assembly. Remove the steering wheel take off the turn signal/headlight switch assembly and replace it.

njpeter
10-24-2004, 02:56 PM
Its the entire assembly. Remove the steering wheel take off the turn signal/headlight switch assembly and replace it.

I've had this happen on two cars already, check the wiring from the headlight socket, it can rub when the lights flip up and provide a dead short then they reach the fully opened position. It's tight in there, a really bright light helps see if this is an issue

88'er
11-02-2004, 08:26 PM
ok sounds good! but would that cause it to blow the fuse on the right headlight when i turn on the brights?

88Accord-DX
11-02-2004, 11:44 PM
ok sounds good! but would that cause it to blow the fuse on the right headlight when i turn on the brights?
Replace the entire assembly first, it has the whole mechanism that works your high beams in it. Then ask this question if it still happens.

njpeter
11-03-2004, 05:50 AM
when I ran into this if the high beams were selected when I turned the lights on the fuse would blow (a dead short). Driove me crazy for quite a while until I got a good look, now I leave them up mostly, as it's a weak part of the design.

88'er
11-03-2004, 07:46 PM
ok, so basically i need to replace the switch on the column, and my entire front headlight assembly? what am i looking at cost wise here?

Neuspeed87lx
11-03-2004, 07:55 PM
nooo dont just start throwing parts at it .... thats when things get expensive !

88'er
11-03-2004, 08:02 PM
ok, too many opinons on here now. who actually has had this problem on their car? and how'd u fix it?

'89AccordLX(Rus)
11-03-2004, 08:29 PM
1. Get a flashlight and look at the wires directly attached to the headlight(s). The wire insulation often wears off due to the up and down action of the headlights and may cause a short. This may explain why your high beams cause one of the headlights to blow a fuse.
2. If the above does not help, try replacing the combination switch (this is the thing to which your lights and wiper levers are attached). This is another known issue that may cause the headlights to operate abnormaly or not at all.

Hope this helps you.

88'er
11-03-2004, 08:31 PM
yea, thanks man! the only thing i'm unclear of is the "combination switch" that you referred to?

maka_RTH
11-03-2004, 08:38 PM
the combination switch is on the steering column. the turn signal switch, wipers, lights, they're all a part of the combination switch.

88'er
11-03-2004, 08:38 PM
cool deal, gotcha

maka_RTH
11-03-2004, 08:41 PM
here: http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/catimgs/13SE00_F17.gif

njpeter
11-04-2004, 04:55 AM
start with the wiring, not to expensive a buck for some black tape, I'm sure you can find somebody here with a combo switch, but I'd lay even money on the wire, like rus and I said, comon fault. I've not had the switch fail to blow a fuse, but It was stuck on highbeam, got one off ebay for $15