PDA

View Full Version : Stalls after starting...???

GBs863drLxi
10-25-2004, 02:43 PM
I tried starting my hatchback after it sitting for 10 months at my dad's house.
I replaced all the vacuum lines, put an intake in, cleaned off everything I could, and put a new valve cover gasket in, and a new water pumpo and thermostat. I start it up and give it some gas, but if I let up off the gas, the revs go real low, and then it stalls out.
Could there be a vacuum leak? I know some of the hoses I used to replace the old ones were a bit too big, and they can slide off their fittings easily.

I should replace the plugs, wires, fuel filter, and Cap and rotor(which I will do), but will the vacuum lines cause it to stall that easily?

Does anyone have a diagram or pic of how the tubing looks coming off of the Intake manifold, and throttle body? I think I might have rerouted a tube or two...

thanks for the help!

shepherd79
10-25-2004, 04:26 PM
ok here is EFI vacuum lay out for 86-87 accord.
http://webpages.shepherd.edu/abetke01/efi.jpg
the other thing you can try is remove the idle screw. clean the screw and spray some carb cleaner where the screw used to be.
make sure the TB is nice and clean inside. you can use carb cleaner clean all the crap.

BlueBead
10-25-2004, 05:12 PM
I had the same problem and it turned out to be the fuel filter. Then the next day my poor hatch got totalled (not my fault!). Try the fuel filter first; its a cheap & easy fix (like $5).

smufguy
10-25-2004, 08:12 PM
Keep the car reveed for about 30 seconds till it runs a lil smoother. It could be just gummed up stuff and what not. Remove the valve cover and see how the valve train looks like. i would suggest changing out the old oil before u even start the car again. it could also be bad gas since it sat for a while. remove the pump and see how it looks on the filter. If u dont have that much gas in the tank, drain it as much as u can and then fill it with a good one. U can dump in about a gallon or two and then drive it to the nearby gas station to fill it up.

I had the same problem and it turned out to be the fuel filter. Then the next day my poor hatch got totalled (not my fault!). Try the fuel filter first; its a cheap & easy fix (like $5).

thats for a carb. EFI filter is $15.

keruhas184
10-25-2004, 08:37 PM
One of my current troubles is that after starting it competely stalls out once I stop turning the key. It takes usually 5-7 tries to get the idle to hold and it warms up rough and with smoke/condensation. (then my idle goes haywire/throttle sticks and only after 10 min. of hard drivng does it usually get back to normal)

Can my starting problem also be fuel related? Or is it strictly a carb/ignition problem?

maka_RTH
10-25-2004, 08:54 PM
it sounds like bad/old gas to me. my friends car did the same thing after sitting for several months. it was a pain to start, and it didn't want to stay started at first either. check the fuel filter and try and get some new gas in there.