PDA

View Full Version : New 3ger..have a few Q's

SE-i_WinterBomb
10-25-2004, 10:08 PM
Whats up everyone.. :) Im new to the 3g accord world. Just got an 89 se-i cause my CRX will be hibernating till spring. Here goes---Will a prelude si of the same year ecu give my sei better fuel/air curves, and will it even fit (They are both OBD0 so it should...??) If not, any ecu's from other hondas swappable? Also, I have access to lots of 3g Preludes (Already snagged some seats) Anyone know what parts are compatible/worth swapping for a little power? Its my winter car but it is painfully slow, especially with A/T. Thanks in advance!

Elijah
10-25-2004, 10:49 PM
5 speed swap.And well seeing that you have a rex put away for winter I think you know all the basic bolt on things.Or if you want I might be selling my turbo stuff LOL.Then it might not be good for winter.

P.S if you dont know the SE-i is the top model of 3rd gens and should not be used for a winter beater.

SE-i_WinterBomb
10-26-2004, 01:14 AM
Hey bro, --yeah I do realize it is the primo-vera 3g. I picked it up at a local auction for $300, with 100k miles with intent to resell, but later found receipts for a new timing belt/waterpump/crank seal..the list goes on.. .So I decided to keep it for obvious reasons--plus winter is creeping and it has awesome heat. I just need a little more juice out of it and i'll be set.

shepherd79
10-26-2004, 03:57 AM
3G lude ECU is not compatible with 3G accord.
the best thing you can do is swap that auto for 5 speed and do the tune up.

accordlxi2.0
10-26-2004, 07:00 AM
what an se-i for $300! man!
plus i had a lx-i, you said it was painfully slow so i'm assuming it's as slow as the carbed 3g.
thats not good, do a major tune-up, get some sea-foam stuff that did teh trick for me.
plus thier's a few mod's like a 4g map sensor, and secondary mods, coil stuff like that.

SE-i_WinterBomb
10-26-2004, 01:34 PM
Thanks for the input guys. Yeah, I got pretty lucky with the price. Not many people appreciate these cars--I feel spoiled just having pwr steering and heat!! not to mention all the other goodies the se-i has.

It actually just had a major tune-up so I have to rule that out. I've been doing research on the forums and I think the timing needs to be adjusted (Its only painfully slow from 1-3000 rpms)--forgot to mention that.
She pulls pretty hard after that in D3. When I first drove it I thought these cars were just slow, being used to my 5-spd rex si. If I floor it from a stand still it takes like 5 seconds to actually get going (at around 3k)--Pulling into a busy road would be a death wish. :ugh:

Based on what ive read here im going to check the timing (supposed to be 15 degr + - 2 before tdc while in drive...???) Cause the ecu isnt throwing an O2 code-- it just flicks once when the key is turned which im assuming indicates that the ecu is working. What is sea-foam stuff??

accordlxi2.0
10-26-2004, 04:11 PM
oh sea foam is the shiz!.
i put that stuff into a vacuum line, actully had the engine running off of it.
after that, it ranned smooth, gain some power (due to the build-up).
i did a hi-performance ground wire (i'm going to do it sometime this week too).
had a aftermarket coil, a civic intake, w/ custom cai.

had the exhaust sized up without adding the resonator from the cat back.
and did a partail vacuum removal mod (due to emissions).

i did some of this stuff on the lx-i but took it off, since i was giving it away.

OH BTW the 3500 and up rpms kick is the secondary butterflies opening up.
so adjust the timing hopefully she'll run better.
cause homey it did'nt take 5 seconds for my lx-i to kick.

SE-i_WinterBomb
10-28-2004, 09:42 PM
Thats a crazy trick, Ill have to read up on it and try it some weekend. I advanced my timing, and she pulls hard in all rpms now :rockon: . The only problem is when starting the engine skips and struggles before it finally starts. I didnt use a timing light cause I couldnt find the marks..?? flywheel??

Sabz5150
10-29-2004, 10:48 AM
Thats a crazy trick, Ill have to read up on it and try it some weekend. I advanced my timing, and she pulls hard in all rpms now :rockon: . The only problem is when starting the engine skips and struggles before it finally starts. I didnt use a timing light cause I couldnt find the marks..?? flywheel??

Look for where the transmission mates to the engine. You should find a small rubber piece near where the engine code is stamped. Remove that piece and there's your hole for timing adjustment.