PDA

View Full Version : battery relocation: drilling holes

racerx
10-27-2004, 10:40 AM
I'm about to install the summit battery relocation kit ($50 on eBay!).

The instructions are less than adequate.

I just wanted to know if it would be OK to drill holes in the trunk, on the passender side, right behind the right tail light?

I'm worried that I'll drill into the gas tank. It seems that the tank's main bulge is right under the spare tire, but there is no visible seem indicating where the tank ends.

Also,
the J-hooks appear to be too short to hook into the floor AND the h-bar which sits on top of the box... anyone ever done this before? am i doing something wrong?
someone said to put the h-bar on top of the battery, but if i do that, then i can't close the box. :dunno:

NXRacer
10-27-2004, 10:48 AM
i think you're safe drilling out next to the tail light. The gas tank is up kind of under the back seat if i remember right.

not sure about the connecting bars tho.

thegreatdane
10-27-2004, 10:49 AM
The fuel tank sits in front of the wheel well so you wont be hitting the tank. If it's behind right taillight it should be safe. Just spray under the car where you drill the holes with some of that greasy black antirust protection stuff (dont know what it's called).

HostileJava
10-27-2004, 11:49 AM
You're Fine, that's where mine is located with no problems. If you're worried about it drill up from the bottom instead of down from the trunk.

HostileJava
10-27-2004, 12:04 PM
Freaking how many posts and now I get a double post, wtf? :repost:

racerx
10-27-2004, 12:10 PM
great!

so, any idea about the j-hooks?

HostileJava
10-27-2004, 12:53 PM
great!

Are you talking about the hooks to hold the wire up under the car? Mine is just running down the small channel on the passenger side, maybe 3" in from the side of the car on the bottom.

SteveDX89
10-27-2004, 01:21 PM
great!

Get a shorter battery or go to a hardware store and get longer hooks. Or better yet, go to a junkyard and get the hooks from a 92 - up Civic or 94 - up Integra.

HostileJava
10-27-2004, 01:40 PM
Get a shorter battery or go to a hardware store and get longer hooks. Or better yet, go to a junkyard and get the hooks from a 92 - up Civic or 94 - up Integra.

O those things, in the back of mine I have a battery holder bolted to the floor that uses a vinyl strap to hold the battery, much better solution IMO.

keruhas184
10-27-2004, 01:45 PM
http://keruh.com/3gz/tbatterys.JPG

racerx
10-27-2004, 02:52 PM
a picture is worth a thousand words. :)

thanks keruhas184.

i thought i had tried it like that, but apparently didn't...

HostileJava
10-27-2004, 06:25 PM
Yeah that's exactly how mine is.