PDA

View Full Version : accord 89/check engine/code 1/oxygen content A

P|eszczoH
10-28-2004, 07:08 AM
Hi there Guys,

I've got a little problem.
When I drive with about 60mph on a 1km distance,
my check engine light goes On.
I've checked under the seat, and ECU shows Error code 1.
This means that there is a problem with Oxygen sensor or its circuit.
So I did change my Oxygen sensor with a new one...
and the problem remains
Oh, I did reset my ECU after the O2 sensor change.

and right now I dont know what is wrong ,
do You have any ideas how to work it out ???
thanks in advance

P|eszczoH
10-29-2004, 03:39 AM
Hi Gus,
I see no replies :(

but I did my research.
I've tested the O2sensor circuit, and the sensor is OK,
but the circuit is not, I have a shortcut beetween battery - and the cable from the sensor.

maybe other way, there is a connection beetween the sensor and the cable from ECU, I did check both the cable frome the sensor and battery - and it is ok, and the cable from ECU and battery -,
I have shortcut beetwen battery - and the cable from ECU,
and I suppose I know Why and I'm going to work it out in a few next hours.

smufguy
10-29-2004, 06:21 AM
best bet would be like u said, running your own wire follwing the schematic. Hell i hate electronics. I dont mind wiring them cause its fun and i know it wont break or anything, but trouble shooting it among 50 different wires, fuck that ill leave it to a electical nerd. Good luck tho. IF you need a schematic let me know, ill post one if i can find one. http://www.pauldesign.ru/honda/shopmanual.html or even go there

P|eszczoH
10-29-2004, 06:37 AM
best bet would be like u said, running your own wire follwing the schematic. Hell i hate electronics. I dont mind wiring them cause its fun and i know it wont break or anything, but trouble shooting it among 50 different wires, fuck that ill leave it to a electical nerd. Good luck tho. IF you need a schematic let me know, ill post one if i can find one. http://www.pauldesign.ru/honda/shopmanual.html or even go there

It's not so bad If you know what you are doing,
right now I think I won the battle,
right now I dont have any shortcut,
the test drive showed no errors until now, so I hope It all good now.
and the RPM are lower, its about 750 and it was about 900- 1000rpm
Next days will show :-)

one more, it is easier for me to repair a circuit than replace whole cable, from ECU to a O2 sensor.

right now I have another eletrcial problem,
but I will start this in new thread. I dont have revers lights, cause there is no cable frome the sensor in my gearbox :-)

smufguy
10-29-2004, 07:04 AM
It's not so bad If you know what you are doing,
right now I think I won the battle,
right now I dont have any shortcut,
the test drive showed no errors until now, so I hope It all good now.
and the RPM are lower, its about 750 and it was about 900- 1000rpm
Next days will show :-)

one more, it is easier for me to repair a circuit than replace whole cable, from ECU to a O2 sensor.

right now I have another eletrcial problem,
but I will start this in new thread. I dont have revers lights, cause there is no cable frome the sensor in my gearbox :-)

did u swap trannies or use a auto tranny engine bay harness? well i did and i found a way and so did steve. its not hard, just have to follow the schematic there too. pm me about it if u need help.

P|eszczoH
10-29-2004, 07:55 AM
did u swap trannies or use a auto tranny engine bay harness? well i did and i found a way and so did steve. its not hard, just have to follow the schematic there too. pm me about it if u need help.

No i Didnt swap the tranny. Its 5 speed manual gear box, but the engine was swaped a year ago, in Germany, by some car mechanics, and...
day after day I find something new, like that there is no cables from this revers gear sensor, lets say it another way, there are 20 cm of 2 cables from revers sensor with pin connectors, and.... there is NO the rest of the harness from revers gear, or it is somewhere there, but I cant see it.

I need to know where to look for those wires so maybe I will find them somwhere in the engine bay.
If not I will have to make new ones, couse reverse lights are useful.

any pictures, or a draft or just words, where do the cables frome reverse gear sensor go in the engine bay are welcome, and appreciated.
:cool:

smufguy
10-29-2004, 09:39 AM
the wires get plugged into a clip that comes off the top of the tranny and its part of the engine bay wire harness. If you cant find it, you can go to the main clip on the front of the car near the Coolant resevoir. U will find a big clip. Its the clip that has major engine wires and includes the reverse switch wire. I will take a pic of it tonight and post it tonight for you to see.

thegreatdane
10-29-2004, 09:59 AM
You dont have the plug for the reverse switch because it's was an auto before. You need to find the wires in the engine subharness plug. Like smufguy said.

P|eszczoH
10-29-2004, 10:55 AM
You dont have the plug for the reverse switch because it's was an auto before. You need to find the wires in the engine subharness plug. Like smufguy said.

No My car was 5 gears manual for ever.
to show you how do I know:
VIN: JHMCA53800C301315

JHM - Japan Honda Motor CO
CA5 - 2 door hatchback
3 - 2 door hatchback/5 speed manual
8- LXi , SEi in My case
0- check digit
0 - year but this I cant understand :-)
C- Saitama , factory in Japan
301315 - the serial number

So, If You say it was an auto before I think You are wrong

all info about the VIN was taken from
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=527

so, I will wait , and look for those pics from SmufGuy
:-)

thegreatdane
10-29-2004, 02:55 PM
Sorry I misunderstood you, I thought you said they swapped in a manual instead of auto.
Well the plugs for the switch should be close to the starter then. They are pretty small.

thegreatdane
10-29-2004, 03:00 PM
And it looks like your aerodeck is an '86 instead of an '88. (according to the honda manual)

P|eszczoH
10-29-2004, 03:30 PM
And it looks like your aerodeck is an '86 instead of an '88. (according to the honda manual)

its 89, and its SEi, with lather seats, and rear disc brakes :-)
I dont understand the date... couse 0 is strange it should be a leeter instead of a number. and every thing in this car is marked like made in 89... so its not possible. front bigger brakes, rear discs, and so on...
strange and stupid but true.

honda
11-04-2004, 04:45 PM
Hi there Guys,

I've got a little problem.
When I drive with about 60mph on a 1km distance,
my check engine light goes On.
I've checked under the seat, and ECU shows Error code 1.
This means that there is a problem with Oxygen sensor or its circuit.
So I did change my Oxygen sensor with a new one...
and the problem remains
Oh, I did reset my ECU after the O2 sensor change.

and right now I dont know what is wrong ,
do You have any ideas how to work it out ???
thanks in advance

interesting. I just replaced an oxygen sensor because of code 1, I didn't reset the ecu, but it now shows no error code. Is it supposed to show an error code until you reset it (should I be concerned about the ecu)?

How do you reset the ecu? And, is it possible for there to be a "false" error code displayed on the ecu (i.e. shows code 1, but there really is no problem)? Or, is it possible to reset the ecu so code 1 doesn't flash, but the oxygen sensor is still bad?

smufguy
11-04-2004, 05:21 PM
sometimes the ecu runs on the previous setting even tho the new sensors are inplace. Resetting the ecu is not hard, just pull the ecu fuse in the engine bay fuse box for a minute and put it back. I used to get a code for my temp sending unit but it was just because my line was disconnected. and even after i put it back the code wont go away, then reset the ecu and it never came back.

and Honda, u can try it man.

honda
11-04-2004, 05:57 PM
sometimes the ecu runs on the previous setting even tho the new sensors are inplace. Resetting the ecu is not hard, just pull the ecu fuse in the engine bay fuse box for a minute and put it back. I used to get a code for my temp sending unit but it was just because my line was disconnected. and even after i put it back the code wont go away, then reset the ecu and it never came back.

and Honda, u can try it man.

Praveen, I don't know what the engine bay thing is man. You would have to explain what/how to do that : )

You sort of answered my question, but not quite or not clearly. Say you change the O2 sensor, and don't reset the ecu. Should the ecu error code flash or not?

Or, say you don't change the O2 sensor, and do reset the ecu. Should the ecu error code flash or not?

smufguy
11-04-2004, 07:02 PM
engine bay = under the hood area. :)

Well open up the hood and on the left side u will find the fuse box and do what i said earlier.

Change the O2 sensor and reset the ecu and u should not get any codes.

P|eszczoH
11-04-2004, 10:24 PM
engine bay = under the hood area. :)
Well open up the hood and on the left side u will find the fuse box and do what i said earlier.

Exactly.
I know what my problem was. I had a shortcut on the cable that goes from ECU to O2 sensor connector. And I did resolve the problem.
Right now it is one week without check engine flashing :-)

You reset the ECU taking out a Fuse called CLOCK/ECU for 10 seconds.
it is in the endgine bay on the right side of a car.

Right now my only problem are the rear drive lights - lack of the harness under the hood :(((( somebody rippeid it out.

carotman
11-04-2004, 11:29 PM
I hate to remove that fuse... resets all the settings on the radio and clock. There is a fuse under the dash for the ECU also. I never actually checked if it resets the ECU or not.

honda
11-05-2004, 04:00 AM
I hate to remove that fuse... resets all the settings on the radio and clock. There is a fuse under the dash for the ECU also. I never actually checked if it resets the ECU or not.

I am not interested in resetting the ecu just yet. Say you get an ecu code 1. First I would like to know:

1. Say you change the O2 sensor, and don't reset the ecu. Should the ecu error code flash or not?

2. Or, say you don't change the O2 sensor, and do reset the ecu. Should the ecu error code flash or not?

My questions are about understanding how the ecu works. Please first answer just the two questions I've asked!! thanks!

smufguy
11-05-2004, 05:28 AM
I am not interested in resetting the ecu just yet. Say you get an ecu code 1. First I would like to know:

1. Say you change the O2 sensor, and don't reset the ecu. Should the ecu error code flash or not?

2. Or, say you don't change the O2 sensor, and do reset the ecu. Should the ecu error code flash or not?

My questions are about understanding how the ecu works. Please first answer just the two questions I've asked!! thanks!

your answer

1. Technically it should not flash, but in real life it flashes with a probability of 95%

2. You can give it a try and see. It all depends on what the problem is. in ur case, i doubt it

honda
11-05-2004, 06:41 AM
Does anyone else have experience with what resetting the ecu does for error codes? Specifically whether resetting the ecu will make a real problem appear to be solved when it is not (question 2).

And praveen I have already replaced the sensor so can't apply your suggestion.

1. Say you change the O2 sensor, and don't reset the ecu. Should the ecu error code flash or not? Praveen says no it shouldn't but yes it usually does. Anyone else have a different experience on this?

2. Or, say you don't change the O2 sensor, and do reset the ecu. Should the ecu error code flash or not? no answer to this yet

My questions are about understanding how the ecu works.

smufguy

1. Technically it should not flash, but in real life it flashes with a probability of 95%

2. You can give it a try and see. It all depends on what the problem is. in ur case, i doubt it[/QUOTE]

P|eszczoH
11-05-2004, 01:15 PM
1. Say you change the O2 sensor, and don't reset the ecu. Should the ecu error code flash or not? Praveen says no it shouldn't but yes it usually does. Anyone else have a different experience on this?

2. Or, say you don't change the O2 sensor, and do reset the ecu. Should the ecu error code flash or not? no answer to this yet

1. Yes Your ECU will flash, not the check engine, but the LED on the ECU wich is displaying the code will be flashing after turning the key in the ... whats the name of it :D You know... when You try to start a car :D

2. The LED on the ECU shouldnt be flashing after reseting ECU.

When some error code gets on the ECU the check engine goes on.
when you stop your car, and turn it of the check engine will not go on,
but the ECU will be showing the error code.
If You dont reset ecu, It will be showing this error for ever.
so If You want to know if it is good or not, go reset the ECU.
that what I know, after 3gee manual, Chiltons book, and some book for the 4th gen accord.

honda
11-05-2004, 03:01 PM
2. The LED on the ECU shouldnt be flashing after reseting ECU.

If you didn't replace the oxygen sensor though, and the sensor needed to be replaced, shouldn't the pgm-fi light appear again and error code 1 appear again on the ecu?

P|eszczoH
11-05-2004, 03:19 PM
It will appear again in that case.
It will took some time, sometimes two days, sometimes half an hour...
but it will appear.

honda
11-05-2004, 03:40 PM
It will appear again in that case.
It will took some time, sometimes two days, sometimes half an hour...
but it will appear.

starting to understand this :)

About resetting the ecu. Would disconnecting the battery and then reconnecting it also reset the ecu?

P|eszczoH
11-05-2004, 03:45 PM
starting to understand this :)

Now, about resetting the ecu. Would disconnecting the battery and then reconnecting it also reset the ecu?

Yes It will.
taking out the Fuse You are cutting off power supply to the ECU,
co taking out the battery Will do the same.
After about 10-15 seconds its done in both cases.

honda
11-06-2004, 05:03 AM
Yes It will.
taking out the Fuse You are cutting off power supply to the ECU,
co taking out the battery Will do the same.
After about 10-15 seconds its done in both cases.

thats what i thought.

1. Someone said there is an ecu fuse under the dash. Where is that exactly and what does it look like?

2. And for the ecu fuse (or is it some other fuse?) in the fuse box, what does that look like.

3. How do you know if your ecu is working correctly? Is there a way you can check this?

thanks

P|eszczoH
11-06-2004, 07:41 AM
thats what i thought.
1. Someone said there is an ecu fuse under the dash. Where is that exactly and what does it look like?
2. And for the ecu fuse (or is it some other fuse?) in the fuse box, what does that look like.
3. How do you know if your ecu is working correctly? Is there a way you can check this?
thanks
1. I dont know.
2. under the hood it is a normal 10A fuse, wich is marked on the cover as a Clock(ecu) under the dash I dont know.
3.If there is no errors on the Led on the ECU ( uder the seat is plastic cover, where is the ECU , there is a small gap You can take it off and see the Led end read errors that way) there should be no reason to be scared on,
as I ve read in Chiltons book Led is displaying strange codes when something is wrong with ECU, so I think that this is one way.

honda
11-07-2004, 07:23 AM
If there is no errors on the Led on the ECU ( uder the seat is plastic cover, where is the ECU , there is a small gap You can take it off and see the Led end read errors that way) there should be no reason to be scared on,
as I ve read in Chiltons book Led is displaying strange codes when something is wrong with ECU, so I think that this is one way.

Does the ecu tell the pgm-fi light to come on, or does the pgm-fi light come on in response to a problem, and then a code is sent to the ecu?

P|eszczoH
11-07-2004, 09:47 AM

Does the ecu tell the pgm-fi light to come on, or does the pgm-fi light come on in response to a problem, and then a code is sent to the ecu?

You mean Check Engine light?
If Yes so the way it looks its like that
first there is a problem, so ECU is getting an error from the sensor/s or other way, so ECU check which sensor is it, and than ECU ligts up the check engine light, and also is starting to display the error code on the LED.
When You turn of your Engine You will get no check engine light, but ECU will be displaying the error code till You reset the ECU using a fuse under the hood.
I think thats clear.

honda
11-07-2004, 03:15 PM
You mean Check Engine light?
If Yes so the way it looks its like that
first there is a problem, so ECU is getting an error from the sensor/s or other way, so ECU check which sensor is it, and than ECU ligts up the check engine light, and also is starting to display the error code on the LED.
When You turn of your Engine You will get no check engine light, but ECU will be displaying the error code till You reset the ECU using a fuse under the hood.
I think thats clear.

yeah it is. since i replaced the o2 sensor, i wanted to know more about what the ecu is. What I'd like to know is how to do a simple test to check ecu's function. Anyone know of one?

P|eszczoH
11-07-2004, 03:59 PM
What I'd like to know is how to do a simple test to check ecu's function. Anyone know of one?

that is what i dont know.
:) sorry...

honda
11-07-2004, 04:44 PM
when you replaced your 02 sensor, did you check its voltage? Do you know what the voltage is supposed to be across a new/good sensor with the engine on?

smufguy
11-07-2004, 07:52 PM
when you replaced your 02 sensor, did you check its voltage? Do you know what the voltage is supposed to be across a new/good sensor with the engine on?

http://www.pauldesign.ru/honda/shopmanual.html <<< go here and download the shop manual. THey are seperated by sections and are clearly detailed. Read it and see if u find ur answer. If not then post again here.