PDA

View Full Version : awd or rwd

nappyroots827
10-28-2004, 09:55 AM
hey people, this may sound unbelievably stupid, but just the other day, i saw an 88ish civic that had all wheel drive...I was amazed, i didn't know they even made such a thing, but anyways, i was just wondering to myself...Is there any way of taking this tranny and putting it on a 3g and possibly even modify it to rwd??? It probably wouldn't work and if the tranny even fits, it would probably take a lot of custom work and money, but anybody who might know about this lemme know, cuz how sick would a rwd 3g be??? :werd: :dunno:

86LXItooFAST4me
10-28-2004, 10:36 AM
anything is possible if you make it possible, but it would be alot of work. plus that would be alot of body work and exhaust re-routing. and LOTS of fabrication, but hey, it is possible :D

nappyroots827
10-28-2004, 10:40 AM
yeah, i was really surprised to see that there was such a thing as an all wheel drive honda, especially a civic of that year...i mean, honda doesn't really make any all wheel drive sedans other than that one i saw if any actually...

86LXItooFAST4me
10-28-2004, 10:49 AM
im not sure but i think they made a few. like over seas, i think they had the waggon accord AWD. not sure though.

A20A1
10-28-2004, 11:15 AM
Yeah the civic wagon had that option, I think you should get a car with beefier parts if you want to go with RWD... and get a good engine to go with it.

88accordhb
10-28-2004, 11:20 AM
werd. it's gonna take lots of work and a decent amount of money. plus if you do that to a 3g, you'd have to consider a better engine that puts out more power, with the a20a3, you'll beloosing alot of power thru the drivetrain. wat's the point of having a rwd car that puts out around 100hp from the rear wheels?

nappyroots827
10-28-2004, 11:37 AM
snow...haha, i dunno, it was just an idea, and anyways..its not just for this car, but i was thinkin maybe they would fit other hondas as well like the b16 or d16 civics or something

Hash_man_Se_i
10-28-2004, 11:42 AM
Ya, the older civic wagons came in 4wd... kinda cool, and I have heard of people using this drivetrain in civic hatches and such.

I have also seen people take the B20 from the crv, along with the 4wd tranny and made custom parts to make a crx 4wd... I thought that was awesome, because the B20b/z are pretty good motors too.

There is also an integra kicking around, i believe it is using a B18c5, and a B20 4wd tranny to make it RWD... Its a drift machine, and pretty damn cool if you as me.

Anything can be done with money, but it would take a lot of work on one of our accords... I'm sure you would have a hell of a time finding space to run a driveshaft down to the rear axle.

86LXItooFAST4me
10-28-2004, 11:57 AM
... I'm sure you would have a hell of a time finding space to run a driveshaft down to the rear axle....

thats where the body and exhaust work would come in :D

nappyroots827
10-28-2004, 12:16 PM
true statement, but hey, just relocate the shift linkage and run the driveshaft down between the seats and ure done! haha, anyways, i just thought it would be pretty sick to have a rwd accord, especially if you could get the engine up around 180 hp, u could do some fun sheet in that car... :)

NXRacer
10-28-2004, 12:54 PM
i think it would be easier to retrofit the CRV running gear then it would be to use that old civic. The CRV is closer to the accord in size then the civic is too. A car magazine did a CRV AWD conversion in an integra while ago and it didnt turn out to be that good.

88accordalltheway
10-28-2004, 02:33 PM
yea i heard about that, crv stuff put on smaller cars, like the civic and teg, to make them awd. Maybe it is possible....

AccordEpicenter
10-28-2004, 04:45 PM
somebody should do a drift 3G

nappyroots827
10-28-2004, 05:19 PM
i don't think it would be a great idea to make the car awd, but rather rwd cuz i think thats what makes non fwd cars so fun, the ability to do easier burnouts and def. be able to drift. And yes, i would kill for a drift 3g...that would turn some heads...I wonder if the crv drivetrain would come closer to bolting up with the b20?? or do they use pretty much the same tranny?? im not familiar with the jdm b20s

smufguy
10-29-2004, 05:59 AM
yeah, i already thought about this idea and it went to scrap last year once i started looking at what to do. Basically, its not possible. Well it is, but you wish you have not invested in all that money just to show yourself or everyone that you can do it. First off, you need to use a CRV motor, yeah a B series motor. Try to find a way to get its knuckles in the rear (uprights) to have the axle pass thru. Next u gotta find a way to move the gas tank cause with it where it is, ur driveshaft aint gonna reach. possibly a fuel cell is ur best bet, but again, you will be stopping every 50 miles or so in a city to get gas. So yeah, this project would end up costing your left nut and your right kidney. I hope it was a passing dream just like it was for me. IF you badly wanna stand out, try fitting a first gen C27 motor into ur car and be the first V6 3g. but again, thats a lot of work too, atleast its not AS BAD AS this awd stuff. :sad2:

nappyroots827
10-29-2004, 07:46 AM
i figured it would be next to impossible, but hey, u never know till you ask someone thats tried, haha

FatDave
10-29-2004, 08:01 AM
my brother and i toyed with the idea of a mid-engine 3rd gen hatch for auto-cross could you imagine that? talk about an over-steering beast of a car but the amount of fabrication would be extensive and although he's a welder he's not much of a engineer

smufguy
10-29-2004, 09:36 AM
my brother and i toyed with the idea of a mid-engine 3rd gen hatch for auto-cross could you imagine that? talk about an over-steering beast of a car but the amount of fabrication would be extensive and although he's a welder he's not much of a engineer

and also talk about a shitty front to rear weight distribution. it would stink more than a dead skunk.

TheSummoner101
10-29-2004, 09:47 AM
it be a nice idea...but too much work...but it be cool to see a rwd or awd 3g :D

thegreatdane
10-29-2004, 10:07 AM
IF you badly wanna stand out, try fitting a first gen C27 motor into ur car and be the first V6 3g. but again, thats a lot of work too, atleast its not AS BAD AS this awd stuff. :sad2:

One of my friends friend who's got a pretty hot turbo 3g said he would try and fit in a C27. I doubt he will succeed though. The engine sits in the other side of the engine bay and everything in the engine bay sits laterally reversed compared to other honda's.

About the rwd thing then the fuel tank will be the least of your worries.. you gotta make room for that axle all the way to the rear and find a way to mount rwd knuckles and make room for the differential.

Immeraufdemhund
10-29-2004, 11:03 AM
what if you cut your trunk around the gas tank and lifted the tank a few inches? then you could get a toyota dif. or a civic dif. They have some companyies (i've seen them in knoxville) were you give them the measurements and the ends (like civic tranny and toyota dif) and they'll make it for you. We got one for a isuzu trooper to fit a toyota rear dif. eventually we switched to a chevy 350 and got rid of the isuzu crap. I think we spent about 150 on the rear dif and a 100 for the front before we lifted it 13 inches. then we had to get some crazy bending capabilites and that cost 500. another think you could think of is getting a straight axle to go past the tank and then get a larger bend driveshaft and hook it up that way, but you'd loose a bunch of ground clearance. i guess you get what you pay for though.

truetune
10-29-2004, 11:49 AM
theres a lot of 3gz out there that are RWD...............ya know like mazdas, toyotas, nissians ya know camaros so hey there all prety kool to.

86LXItooFAST4me
10-29-2004, 12:36 PM
smart ass...

hondamanlxi
10-29-2004, 01:13 PM
weve all seen the 4th gens and shit on ebay... 350 rwd! its just a chop job!

gas tank = fuel cell
trans tunnel = beat firewall and cut and raise floor(b/t seats) and linkage
motor/trans = weld mounts DIRECTLY in place
hood clearance = fuck a hood
rear end = complete nissan assembly and chop/beat/weld into place
not much left of a honda but its really NOT that difficult.... just need all the parts and a cutting torch/welder and about 6mo

or..... just put an accord body on a already FR frame and the body drop it to look half way normal ive seen a civic 4-door in town this way it looks almost stock

nothing to it but to do it! if the 'necks around here can handle it, we can

NXRacer
10-29-2004, 01:19 PM
sean mentioned something a long time ago about trying to get the CRV running gear in a 3rd gen. i dont know if he was seriously thinking that or not tho.

FatDave
10-29-2004, 04:00 PM
and also talk about a shitty front to rear weight distribution. it would stink more than a dead skunk.

with a lexan hatch glass and some weight reduction, not to mention the relocation of the fuel tank say a 10 gallon fuel cell it wouldnt *be* much worse than it is now. ever driven a Fiero,MR2, or NSX? cars with true mid-ship mounted engines (as opposed to a rear mounted engine, like air cooled VW's and most porsche cars) those cars handle VERY well, even if a couple are a bit underpowered the low moment of inertia contributes the nimbleness of the car, but can be handful for a novice driver.
:)

Justin86
11-01-2004, 08:17 AM
just give me a CRV, and I'll work my stuff.

smufguy
11-01-2004, 08:33 AM
with a lexan hatch glass and some weight reduction, not to mention the relocation of the fuel tank say a 10 gallon fuel cell it wouldnt *be* much worse than it is now. ever driven a Fiero,MR2, or NSX? cars with true mid-ship mounted engines (as opposed to a rear mounted engine, like air cooled VW's and most porsche cars) those cars handle VERY well, even if a couple are a bit underpowered the low moment of inertia contributes the nimbleness of the car, but can be handful for a novice driver.
:)

you name a car, in the past two years i have driven pretty much all of em. I valet. Anyway, you have to know that the body structre is totally different. People dont realize that even tho the cars might look the same, like the Del-sol and the Fiero, the frame is actually designed in a way that it contributes more than 75% to the end weight distribution. So u taking a FWD Iron block motor and trying to fit the motor in the rear and trying move the tank and stuff to the front, or wherever u want and adding weight in the front u might achieve ur desired weight distribution on the scales. BUt once u hit the road and turn the car, u will be suprised how unpredictable the car is, compared to the car u thought it would have been.

We in SAE at our school build F1 cars, just like cornell and all other good schools. WE start off with the frame that is done concentrating on the motor location. If the motor locatin is moved ever soo lightly, the frame we worked on is scrap. Thats how crucial it is and not to mention these F1 cars we build are only 500Lbs and accelerate like a Ferrari (0-60 in 3.6s) and the frame is built soo solid that in the world, we (Rutgers school of engineering) has the strongest chassie (axial twist of the chassie of 1 deg clamped end to end requires 25,000 lbs of force).

Point being, its not about just taking stuff off and putting stuff on the car to get ur numbers on the scales right. Its the build from the ground up as in designing the chassie around the placement of the engine. This is the reason the cars Converted to Mid engine or RWD or Rear Engine and all other crazy stuff are done for one reason and its to go Straight, once u start turning, all other crazy physics come into effect. :)

FatDave
11-08-2004, 09:11 AM
hrm, well then i stand corrected

smufguy
11-08-2004, 09:46 PM
hrm, well then i stand corrected

:beat: