PDA

View Full Version : 2g lude Internals in a 3g accord

FoX
10-28-2004, 05:35 PM
I just thrashed the motor in my accord. I was out looking for a motor to put in it and i found a 2g prelude with what appears to be the same motor trnny and all. My only question is: Is it? I will be pulling it from the lude but i dont want to if it wont work. My next question is will the accord CV-Axels fit into the lude tranny if i can swap it at all?

SteveDX89
10-28-2004, 05:56 PM
The 2g Prelude uses the A20 engine as well so it will fit.

PhydeauX
10-29-2004, 01:24 PM
The only problem you will have is the lude will have the single runner intake manifold and yours has a dual. Just swap the manifolds and you'll be fine. You can use you tranny or the ludes, the lude has slightly sportier ratios I believe but its no big deal (assuming 5 speed, the auto tranny has a diferent gear selector and needs modification to work). This all assumes that the lude is an SI, if not your sol.

andy

FoX
10-30-2004, 10:53 AM
ok, this is my question now. The engine i blew in my accord says a20a3 like it should. and the motor i pulled from the Lude says BT but looks exactly like a20 and all the stuff bolts up but whats with the BT stamp on the motor?

shepherd79
10-30-2004, 11:05 AM
in 1986 honda used diff. labeling system for the motors. it was the last year they used it. BT is EFI motor.

FoX
10-30-2004, 11:22 AM
OK so now i have 2 more questions. the wiring harness on the bt motor looks almost exactly the same except it has one extra plug up bu the injectors which wraps around to the TPS, will the harness still work if i use it with the head from the a20a3. I am asking because i was going to take my intake and exaust manifolds and all my good stuff from my a20a3 and put it on the BT. The only thing is i found all my electrical problems on my a20a3 motor in the harness and was hoping i could use the one from the bt.

Then also what would happen to my power? i have looked on other posts and it says the compression on a BT is 8.8:1 instead of 9.3:1 so if i install the intake manifold on the BT off my a20a3 wouldn't i technically loose power because the mix would be different, or is the compression higher in a prelude because it is supposed to be a sportier model?

Just a little concerned about this because i like to use this car at the track as well and I am stupid when it comes to the actual math in a motor.

A20A1
10-30-2004, 11:30 AM
the cylinder head clearance or pistons will determine the CR not the intake manifold

FoX
10-30-2004, 11:43 AM
so then what if I change heads?

FoX
10-30-2004, 09:30 PM
and then there is still my question about the wire harness on the motor.

PhydeauX
10-31-2004, 10:43 AM
The heads are the same. Keep the harness that matches your computer.

andy

FoX
10-31-2004, 06:05 PM
I have found alot of differences between the a20 motor and the BT. Mainly the bolts on the motor mounts are a different thread type. Also the Crank pully has a smaller bolt and also a differnt thread type.

coope
01-15-2007, 01:02 PM
im doing the same project i think i will have to go to the hardware and find the crank bolt. And i had to put my old harness on the bt i have a question sorry to jack but mines a si motor will it put out more power?

A18A
01-15-2007, 01:07 PM
oops... i didnt mean to post... please delete

shepherd79
01-15-2007, 01:22 PM
im doing the same project i think i will have to go to the hardware and find the crank bolt. And i had to put my old harness on the bt i have a question sorry to jack but mines a si motor will it put out more power?
if you are going to use just the block and cylinder head, you can actually see some power drop. nothing major just a few hp due to piston compression.

coope
01-26-2007, 09:40 PM
how can i get that pwr back and how much were talking 2-3 man u would think its an si more pwr. Dame i thought i was getting a deal just 80k on the motor.

cygnus x-1
01-27-2007, 07:51 AM
I wouldn't worry about it. Compression ratio only affects HP by like 3-4HP per point of compression. And you won't even be losing that much.

C|

AccordEpicenter
01-27-2007, 08:39 AM
I have found alot of differences between the a20 motor and the BT. Mainly the bolts on the motor mounts are a different thread type. Also the Crank pully has a smaller bolt and also a differnt thread type.

Ive had 2 different cranks both from 88-89 lxis and they had different bolt sizes in the crank pulley as well, so it might be more than just a BT/A20 difference, maybe auto to manual? not really sure...

coope
01-28-2007, 07:08 PM
where did u get the bolt from? enyway update on my car what before i give u the update let me give u the history i was racing a civic hatch my car had been ticking for a couple weeks and i said when christmas cum i going to take it to the shop. But when i was racing my oil pump went out and i spun a rod or some like that. All i heard was knocking sound and my car cut off when i stop. i was mad. but the update i bought the motor off of ebay for 300 bucks i only has 80k on the motor so i took it. i got it in last week and today i got it crunk now only thing left is the axels and the a hose cuming from the oil pan to this little vacum thing. and the crank bolt i can't find. i might just go to the honda place and get a high price bolt but thats the last option. sorry for the long post but help me out if u can finding this bolt.

MessyHonda
01-28-2007, 07:37 PM
where did u get the bolt from? enyway update on my car what before i give u the update let me give u the history i was racing a civic hatch my car had been ticking for a couple weeks and i said when christmas cum i going to take it to the shop. But when i was racing my oil pump went out and i spun a rod or some like that. All i heard was knocking sound and my car cut off when i stop. i was mad. but the update i bought the motor off of ebay for 300 bucks i only has 80k on the motor so i took it. i got it in last week and today i got it crunk now only thing left is the axels and the a hose cuming from the oil pan to this little vacum thing. and the crank bolt i can't find. i might just go to the honda place and get a high price bolt but thats the last option. sorry for the long post but help me out if u can finding this bolt.

did you rebuild your engine?

88Accord-DX
01-28-2007, 09:22 PM
http://www.uneedapart.com/

Maybe take a trip to the nearest J/Y for that crank bolt.

coope
01-30-2007, 02:15 PM
naw i didn't rebuild the engine but im going to rebuild the one i threw the rod in i might just turbo it and i'll see if the jy got a bolt. i might just shoot nos in the bt but i kind of want it last a while.

coope
01-30-2007, 02:22 PM
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: by the way thanks for the link i'll see what they say! u guys are a lot of help:)

coope
02-01-2007, 03:01 PM
update i found a bolt i went to the honda place and paid seven bucks for one its worth it should be running i a day or two. will keep u posted pic will come lata.