PDA

View Full Version : Power steering fluid is Leaking!!!

GBs863drLxi
10-28-2004, 11:33 PM
Today, I noticed PS fluid leaking onto the Power steering pulley and down to the belt and A/C compressor pulley. I think it is leaking onto the exhaust manifold as well, because there is smoke coming from under the heat shield, but oil isn't leaking. The PS fluid is definitely coming out of the pump somewhere, but I can't pinpoint it... Please help!!

What can I do? Is there a seal, gasket, or hose that I am not aware of that needs to be replaced? I read in a post about a hose coming out of the back of the pump and leaking onto the exhaust manifold...where is that hose?

I don't know what else to ask, so Anybody give me a clue here? I know that the main hose coming from the pump in front of the valve cover is Not leaking, so what can it be?

Thanks for the help!!! :bow:

A20A1
10-29-2004, 03:41 AM
The PS hoses have o-rings on the connectors if I remember correctly, so that could be the problem if you say the pump is leaking... also the bearings could be going... sort of like how the water pump usually likes to die.

nswst8
10-29-2004, 03:56 AM
Then its the P/S shaft bearing. Its a easy fix the bearing is replaceable which is less than $5.00 or you can buy a new pump $100.

As for the exhaust are you sure its the P/S. Or could it be leaking from the Oil filter base seal.

TEXANHATCH
10-29-2004, 09:22 AM
Hi, I have a leak in my rack and pinion and to avoid replace it. I just cut the P/S belt off. Since then no problem at all, steering wheel a little bit hard but its not a big deal. IN our cars the P/S system can be a pain in the $$.

A20A1
10-29-2004, 10:02 AM
hmm one issue that i ran into was the lack of lubrication to the speedometer cable on the trans... or doesn PS not run thru there? Anyways I assumed my speedo cable burned up over time from lack of lubrication.

SHURIK
10-29-2004, 04:26 PM
ps fluid dosent oil ur spedo cabel the speed sensor has orings at the top and botom if the botom oring gose then u will get all ur powersteerinfluid in ur trany wich has happend to me and if the top ring gose then u will have a fountin of ps fluid near the firewall