PDA

View Full Version : What Color To Paint The 3gee? hmm.

HondaBoy
10-29-2004, 10:20 AM
ok, this guy i know does bad ass restoration work. his paint and body work skills are great and he has pretty reasonable pricing. he said about $850 is what his paint jobs start at. i'd like to see if i can do some body work and some other stuff to cut down on the cost, i dunno. anyway, i kinda wanted to get it painted the same color. its Champagne beige (aka. 3gee Gold). then again, i dunno. i want to see how it would look 2 tone. top gold and the bottom black. i like the look of 2 tone paint jobs because they look old school so it kinda would go with the car. i need to take it by that shop and see what they could do about my dented roof. i'd hope they can get the dent out and get it back to shape, otherwise it'll have to be replaced by cutting it off and welding on a new roof panel. thats something that would suck ass. dont know though, in all, it will probley cost around $2000 for paint an body work. this wont be a paint job that last only a few years though. the clear he uses is top quality and is supposed to be quite durable. i wanna see some of the older cars he's done to get some ideas. my friend has his audi done with the top red and bottom silver which gives me ideas. maybe for the 3gee, red top and black on bottom. those are the only colors i really want to go with though.

Brentm
10-29-2004, 11:21 AM
mmm 2 tone is ok, my hatch is 2 tone, top light blue bottom dark blue, the moron that sold me the car painted the bottom half with spraypaint, and said the paint on top wouldnt need it, even tho it looks like someone tried to rake leaves off of the car. I think if you got it done professionally itd look sweet.

HondaBoy
10-31-2004, 11:47 AM
i could do what many people have done that i know. that would be to paint the car myself in my garage with a quality paint gun. thats more than i'd want to do right now though. i though about doing a flat black paint if i was going to do any body work myself. then i could get it painted nicely when i have more money. i'd have to make sure to use a compatable primer that would work with that i would get later on. that is what many people dont do, they will use the rattle can paint and it usually doesnt take well with a quality color coat later on. i saw a 3gee last week that was done flat black and it looked pretty good IMO. i'll probley not touch my 3gee too soon, i'll wait and save up for the body shop, i think.

BlueBead
10-31-2004, 01:11 PM
I'd do the painting myself; Flat black looks really good if you're a little lowered, tinted and have some clean rims. Take some pics of your car and photoshop them with the colours you are thinking of. I did that for my old nissan and it made the colour choice so much easier. Myself I'm leaning towards a metallic blue next spring once I finish the bodywork and get a kit on it.
Good luck with whatever color(s) you go with

HondaBoy
10-31-2004, 01:26 PM
i dont have photoshop. i posted in another thread to see if they could photoshop my pic. anyway, i still have this kaminari body kit. it consists of the side skirts and a busted rear piece. so there i need to fiberglass work. here's a link to where i posted the pix of a test fit.
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=34809&highlight=body+kit+test+fit

AccordEpicenter
10-31-2004, 01:38 PM
i think either white or black... somtimes a bright metallic silver looks great too

A20A1
10-31-2004, 01:48 PM
gold and black is cool, I have stainless steel and black on mine (going to go all black later), it sort of looks gold in the bad street lighting.

Immeraufdemhund
10-31-2004, 04:48 PM
imo i like a dark gray...like graphite gray. When i get my car painted i'm going to look threw the VW paint selection and choose from their. I found out though that we have a single stage paint, which rules because it's cheap. but that's just my opinion

Headnoise
10-31-2004, 05:12 PM
Go with what ya like... But personally... I like blue and silver... I'm thinking about getting mine blue/silver or red/white... Not sure which yet... Get the outside a solid color though... and paint the inside 2 different colors... unless of course you are painting a design on the body... I'm gonna get my sister to airbrush some skulls on the fenders..

HondaBoy
11-24-2004, 08:34 PM
ok, well i'm seriously thinking about doing the 2 tone. the pic A20A1 posted gets me really wanting to do this. its cold and humid right now so i dont think that's good for painting. if it was hot that would be better. anyway, this is how it should look. sorry for the small pic, it wont load any bigger.
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/11/web/347000-347999/347392_337.jpg

88Accord-DX
11-29-2004, 11:41 PM
You might be able to cut down on the cost of a paint job by doing all the prep work yourself. Might have to negotiate that. I went with red, (painted it myself, not done) it is most the most expensive paint to mix. Paint it with what you feel would look good to you. Can't help you there. Go with base coat/ clear coat though, I think it looks better than straight acrylic enamel. My opinion though. Post some pics when you get it done, we all love fresh paint pics! :thumbup:

HondaBoy
12-01-2004, 09:36 PM
yeah, i was going to go with the base/clear paint. my friend has his car painted in red with the all in one paint, so its not going to last as long as something with clear on top. i was going to spray it myself. this is just because i'm not spending the big bucks right now on body work. that's saved for later. i've already found a great spray gun my friend reccomended. he painted his car in his garage and it looks great. i already knew about red being the priciest color to mix. i was thinking of getting the top of the car red with the black bottom. i'll probley see if i can use someone elses garage though, i dont wanna get spray on everything in mine. lol. ah, but i got it covered if i have to use my garage too. i really wanted to find another front bumper cover before i paint though. i'm looking for the 88-89 integra bumper with the rap around bumper lights. those are kinda hard to find.