PDA

View Full Version : AT filter

DanG86LX
10-31-2004, 02:23 PM
I changed my AT filter today. I let u guys guess what am i up to..? :stupid:

accordlxi2.0
10-31-2004, 05:00 PM
on a 3g, i thought our car's did'nt come with a a/t filter???

DanG86LX
10-31-2004, 05:24 PM
..actually it does, only to get to it u have to get deep inside, under the main valve body..

accordlxi2.0
10-31-2004, 05:30 PM
oh man i don't like that, it might have to be changed......
which means remove the tranny and other stuff.

DanG86LX
11-02-2004, 02:28 PM
The old filter was like 1/3 covered with different debris, however those valves, separator plates and maze were really dirty! U may expect only pinkish ATF on tranny's "brain". Not so after 18years of grinding and pounding. Weakest link was 1-2 shift valve (stuck) bc has the weakest spring.. No wonder i had problems with 2nd.
Tonight i'm doing the governor, then clutches.
Keep you posted guys.

night
11-02-2004, 03:39 PM
the springs break a lot on newer honda's. not sure about these oldies

DanG86LX
11-04-2004, 09:49 PM
OMG my 2nd clutch was totally destroyed! Piston (big) spring is hold there on the clutch hub by a washer + circlip. The part of the hub where the circlip groove was, was broken, the circlip broken, the washer was acting as a thrust-washer bc the big spring was pushing against it. Clutch plates gone. A needle bearing also gone, what a mess! Amazing that the clutch was still doing its job! Since 2nd and 4th are together, that's big $$$. I'll try the junkyard tomorrow maybe i can scavenge a main shaft from a tranny (snow on the ground).
I'm telling you guys, when a clutch shudders, something is wrong with it. Lately when in drive or reverse, the engine seemed to stumble. Not good.

DanG86LX
11-10-2004, 09:35 PM
The thing is Honda knew their AT on Accords had a problem with 2nd cluch by the end of 1987 bc they issue this TSB:

Make: HONDA Model: ACCORD Year: 1986
Service Bulletin Number: 87-030
Bulletin Sequence Number: 040
Date of Bulletin: 11/87
NHTSA Item Number: 94960
Component: POWER TRAIN:TRANSMISSION:AUTOMATIC
Summary: SHUDDER DURING UP/DOWNSHIFTS
CAR SHUDDERS NOTICEABLY DURING FIRST TO SECOND GEAR UPSHIFTS, THIRD TO SECOND GEAR DOWNSHIFTS, AND 4TH TO 2ND GEAR DOWNSHIFTS.
BROKEN SECOND CLUTCH PISTON GUIDE, WHICH IN TURN DAMAGES SECOND CLUTCH FRICTION DISKS.
REPLACE SECOND/FOURTH CLUTCH PACK, SECOND GEAR, NEEDLE BEARING AND THURST WASHER.
ALL 1986-87 HONDA ACCORD AND 1985-87 HONDA PRELUDI SI MODELS

Piston guide is what i would called the hub of the clutch drum.
88..89 models got a beefed up piston guide by about 1/16" so it is less likely to brake.
Went to a tranny parts store and they sold me 2nd/4th clutch, unfortunately the old style.
Then i noticed that my 2nd gear teeth were shaved by ~ 1mm where it enters the clutch drum. Back to the store, only the guys there wanted to sell me the 88..89 version of 2nd gear. That's how i found out the whole story.

So i got a 2nd cluth which might brake again, although the broken one lasted for 15 years.
My 2nd gear may not fully catch the last friction disk.
And the main shaft is partialy scored under 2nd gear.
Besides i'm 50/50 that i might be missed something and put AT back wrong, hey it happend to professionals too.

The torque convertor is easy to remove it, just pull it off, but quite tricky to put it back on!
Tomorrow i'll put it on the car. That will keep me bussy till weekend.

DanG86LX
11-16-2004, 08:55 PM
It works! It just works! Hahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aa!!!!!!!!!!
What a feeling! I rebuilt my tranny and it works! I just saved my 3g from a certain death! I'm so excited now.
The only prob was with the TV cable. I did not touch the bracket or the nut A on the cable but the shifting points were toooo late and downshifts toooo early -> cable too short. I lengthen the cable by 1/4" from what should be and now works fine. Uh, a lot of work but at least my 3g is alive.. :cheers:

Strugglebucket
11-16-2004, 09:19 PM
*applauds*
glad you've kept your car going. i would have put in a manual transmission over trying to fix and automatic any day. to me, autos are FM (f#cking magic).

POS carb
11-17-2004, 06:58 AM
I did that on mine what a mission, it broke in a week, the diffriential kept putting metal in my oil... the 2nd clutch was all worn/loose like you said with the snapring collar gone and 3 destroyed thrust bearings and lots of black crap in the valve bodies (probably clutch residue)