PDA

View Full Version : 87 Civic transmission swap thoughts

Sabz5150
10-31-2004, 08:08 PM
Okay, we all know that the 1gen Integra transmission gearset can be swapped along with the gearbox housing to produce a mean lil tranny for the Accord. Well... how about the 87 Civic?

Specifically the 87 Civic Wagon that came with 4WD. Forget the 4WD part and notice that the manual version of that transmission was a six speed. 1st being uber low and 6th being pretty damn long. I'm guessing that with the way the 4WD works in these cars (only engages rear wheels when the front are slipping) that it's mostly a differential thing and can be overcome rather easily.

Any thoughts?

nappyroots827
11-01-2004, 07:15 AM
already had this idea.... :) http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=39053

Justin86
11-01-2004, 08:11 AM
well he's not talking about doing and AWD or RWD swap, these AWD civics are pretty rare, and you are better off using CRV stuff for that kind of swap stronger parts......

having a possible FWD 6 speed tranny is whats up for discusion. It might work, all lot of these parts have the same dimensions, just finding the tranny is the hard part. If I could get ahold of one I can see what it will take..............

thegreatdane
11-02-2004, 07:24 AM
Interesting thought, too bad they are hard to come by.

nappyroots827
11-02-2004, 08:14 AM
oh yea sorry, haha, thought u were interested in the rwd or awd thing...i didn't know they came in 6 speed, thats pretty interesting, but i guess if the 6 speed tranny fit than the awd would probably bolt up as well, it would just take a rediculous amount of modification from the firewall back...