PDA

View Full Version : Ticket for tint in oregon

SavageG
10-31-2004, 08:17 PM
I got a $97 ticket for my damn tinted windows!! This cop pulled me over yesterday and said that he pulled me over for going between 57-61 mph. So he takes my license and goes back to his car to run my shit. Then when he comes back (45 min later!!) he gives me a ticket for "Obstructed driver vision" and tells me that having ANY tint is illegal except on the rear side windows. :burn:
Is there any was to dispute this ticket? I looked it up and 35% is legal on all windows except the windshield. So that part of the ticket is bogus but I don't know if I can prove I have less than 35%.

Ludi Mali
10-31-2004, 08:29 PM
they can check with a light meter.

RobT5580
10-31-2004, 08:43 PM
Your DMV should have an inspection and meter the tint. I can say my car barely passed as it was right at the legal limit and my tints are very light. CT you are supposed to have a DMV sticker on each window that requires it and usually is not an issue unless the cops want to be a pain in the ass. The odd rule in CT is a 4door can have the rear door windows done as dark as you want but a coupe you cant have the rear side glass over the legal limit. To me it don't make sence since its for their security so see inside the car and a 4dr someone can come out at them while a coupe obviosly not.

But you can appeal it and get it tested but if you fail you will be stuck with the ticket and maybe court fee's and such. I was surpresed that my tint was 35% since it was so light but they did test it.

Jin4576
11-01-2004, 07:51 AM
yeah if ur tint is at 35% it should pass, but y'know some places have different rules and such now... -.-;

bobafett
11-01-2004, 11:45 AM
lol i have 18% and im in oregon more than washington where i live lol. was 57-63 mph speeding or not?

NXRacer
11-01-2004, 12:01 PM
thats bullshit. its not illegal to have tinted windows. You just have to have nothing more then a 35%. Some cops may give you crap about your rear window being tinted, but thats all. I"d deffinately fight it.

bobafett
11-01-2004, 12:02 PM
lol 35% isnt even a tint ;)

cdscowboy
11-01-2004, 01:13 PM
Consider yourself lucky. I got a $270 ticket for the same thing a few months back. If you can prove it's above the legal limit (as in a higher percentage than 35%), you're fine. If I were you I'd get a hold of a driver's manual (probably from the DMV), and read the section on tinting.

If it's too dark, get it removed. The only place I found that'll remove it is Alexia's in Tigard (503-671-9615). I think they charge $7.50 for each side window (front doors, rear doors/triangular window) and $35 for the rear.

I tried to get mine removed, but the shop was packed when I could get up there, so I didn't get it done. I made an "appointment" to get it done, and showed a note from Alexia's to the judge saying I was gonna get it done, and paid $20. I still haven't gotten it done, but I'm paranoid about it all the time now.

SavageG
11-10-2004, 01:57 PM
I sent in the ticket today with pictures of my tint inclosed. I doubt I will get any money back from "The City Of Columbia City" without appearing in person, but I really can't get any time off of work right now.
Also ... yes 57-63 was speeding, it was a 55 mph hwy. Thanks for the tint shop number, I'm now thinking of having my current purple tint taken off and having a more factory looking (darker... :321: black tint put on.

Dr._8t9LX
11-10-2004, 06:26 PM
Cops hate not being able to see you! If you have tint, or if you look shady, it is a good idea to roll down your driver side window when pulled over and leave your hands on the steering wheel untell the cop walks up. This curtisy has gotten me off with warning a couple of times for speeding. Another time I was in a '62 Chevy 3/4 ton truck and looked real shaddy so i put my hands out the window. I could see in my mirror he had unsnapped his holster and had his hand on his pistol! He relaxed and actually thanked me! But then he couldn't believe it when I didn't have a record! Kept asking how I knew to do that and I told him I watch COPS alot. :)

what ever you do, don't figet around, reach under your seat, hide your hands, or get something out of the glovebox untell they ask you. If they get scared, your gona get a ticket for something.

MattsAccord
11-11-2004, 12:35 PM
This kinda goes with what is above and is kinda off topic. I got pulled over last night for my exhaust last night. Anyone who has heard my car knows it is quite. But as usual I roll down my window (35% never had a problem) turn on my dome light and put one of my hands on the steering wheel and one on top of the window seel. I do this everytime and it must help for something. I have never had a ticket and I have been pulled over probley close to 20 times. But he pulled me over for exhaust noise, I'm like I have had it tested before and it is well within the limits. He gave this thing were it can't be any louder then stock. In my mind I just laughed and want him to give me a ticket for that. Also I don't know how he heard me when he was in front of me and we were doing 55mph. But anyways this dosen't have very much to do with anything but o well.

NXRacer
11-11-2004, 12:57 PM
sounds like the cop just needed an excuse to pull you over. Or he just moved in from Cali. :rolleyes: