PDA

View Full Version : The details of uhh....detailing!

pimp86LX
11-01-2004, 12:55 PM
Hey guys...we just got our saturn detailed and im amazed at how well of a job they did. Ive cleaned many cars many times but this just seems to be just that extra bit shiner and squeeky clean. I want to know how its done, techniques, tips, tricks, secrets, anything!

What and how do you guys detail your precious 3g?

pimp86LX
11-01-2004, 02:49 PM
bumpidy bump. shiwgidy shwam

NXRacer
11-01-2004, 03:05 PM
a lot of times a detail shop will go over everything with a fine tooth comb. They also have access to better cleaners and stuff then you can get off the shelf so the job can look better. Also, they'll usually steam clean the interior and engine bay and stuff.

Don't really have any tips or techniques, it just depends on how thurough you are.

shepherd79
11-01-2004, 03:15 PM
i always clean the interior with some kind of cleaner first to get rid of dirt and old protector.
after that i go over the dash two times with Armor All. it is shines like crazy.

on the carper. i just vacuum very very good.

fobia assassin
11-01-2004, 08:40 PM
man I am so in love with my ride it takes my almost all day to do a good ass job on my car. wash it wax it, clean the rims, polish them, clean the inside,etc. all my friends call me mr.clean because my car is never dirty. it can rain and the next day it will be clean lets put it that way. who loves driving in a drity car NOT me. :rockon:

TheSummoner101
11-01-2004, 09:21 PM
armor all...all the way :D

that stuff makes my interior shine like new! even better then most new cars :D i vacume the carpet, but i think im going to dye the carpet it has too many spots and stuff...

danronian
11-06-2004, 07:55 AM
I wish I could find a car wash around here with one of those coin operated steam cleaners. When I bought my car a few years back they guy had the bay steam cleaned and that sure hid all the oil leaks, at least he told me that so it wouldn't be a huge surprise. There are many things people overlook when they try to detail their cars them selves, including: the air vents in the interior, scrubbing the wheelwells, washing all around the doors including the jambs, cleaning the armor-all off before reaplying (afore mentioned), using good wax with the correct buffing materials. When I put my Malibu in shows I usually spend about a week doing nothing but cleaning and shining up that car. This summer I waxed every waterspot off of the thing and then used a clay bar, compounded out the scratches, and then used that Nano-Wax (best stuff I ever put on a car), all in all I spent at least 12 hours on wax alone, that doesnt include the day I spect getting every speck of dirt/bug/tar off of the bottom of the car. Anyone can detail a car with the right equiptment, there really is no trick, the hard part is puting all of the time into it and not driving the car between when you start and end the process. Considering many of us don't have alternate cars to drive, it really is usually easiest to just send the car out to get detailed by a multiple man team instead of spending a week of spare time on it. Personally I will spend my week of vacation from work on my car instead of paying someone else to do it, but we all have our own priorities.