PDA

View Full Version : ecu pgm-fi

honda
11-02-2004, 06:09 AM
Can someone tell me how to check ecu codes and what it means if pgm-fi light comes on?

1) The pgm-fi light has come on three times, and goes off when I shut off car. It does not come back on when I restart car, at least not right away. Does that mean it is an intermittent problem? How much can I drive the car before knowing/repairing this problem?

2) I know where the ECU is. On the ignition, there is a I, II or III. With the ignition turned to I, the dashboard lights do not come on. On II, the dashboard lights come on (seatbelt light comes on etc). When I check the ecu with ignition at I, the ecu led does not flash. With the ignition at II, the ecu led does flash. Am I supposed to check ecu with ignition at II?

3) I know there are supposed to be long flashes and short flashes, but I don't know what "long" and "short" is (can someone say how long a long flash lasts vs. a short flash), or how to tell if there is more than one code (i.e. how long a space, or "no-flash" length of time between codes is). For example, what would a code of "1" look like? Would the LED just flash once, and then not flash again? Would it flash once, and then repeat flash, repeat flash etc? I asked someone else, and all they said was check the led and flashes (doesn't answer my question!)

Your suggestions much appreciated!

accordlxi2.0
11-02-2004, 07:02 AM
on the ignition I that is for only the radio.
you need to have it on ignition II, you know where the light come on but DON'T start the engine.
when it's in the on( or ig II) position, the check engine light should come on and stay on for 2 seconds, then go off.
but once you move your seat all the way up, there should be a square plastic piece to take off, to see a led flashing
here are the codes:

0 ECU

1 Oxygen Sensor "A" (Primary)
defective circuit or unplugged / defective sensor

2 Oxygen Sensor "B"

3 MAP Sensor (Manifold Absolute Pressure)

4 Crank angle

5 MAP Sensor (Manifold Absolute Pressure)
mechanical problem / disconnected piping

6 ECT Sensor (Engine Coolant Temperature)

7 TP Sensor (Throttle Position)

8 TDC Sensor (Top Dead Center)

9 #1 cylinder position

10 IAT Sensor (Intake Air Temperature)

12 EGR Lift Sensor (Exhaust Gas Recirculation)

13 BARO Sensor (Atmospheric Pressure)

14 IAC Valve (Idle Air Control)

15 Ignition output signal

16 fuel injector

17 VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor)

now long or short flash is how the led tell you which code number :
okay lets say you have a bad fuel injector (which is code 16).

the ecu will go into diagnostic mode.

the led when it goes to flash one time the led will stay on for about 1 or 2 seconds, then go off for about 1 or 2 seconds then flash 6 times fast, not very fast but fast.

in your case about the light coming on, you probably have a bad o2 sensor or a bad egr lift sensor.

honda
11-02-2004, 01:12 PM
thanks. So for your example, ecu 16, when you say it will flash fast six times, will it flash faster for the "six" compared to the flash for the "1"? (trying to understand what the "fast" flash is compared to the slow flash)

when I check it, it flashes for a second, then 2 seconds pause, then flash for a second, then 2 seconds pause etc.

shepherd79
11-02-2004, 01:51 PM
you have code 1. it is your O2 sensor.

honda
11-02-2004, 02:13 PM
you have code 1. it is your O2 sensor.

thanks thats what i thought. do you know what are very good, good or medium brands for oxygen sensors?

accordlxi2.0
11-02-2004, 03:47 PM
eh either honda brand, or either a bosch o2 sensor.

honda
11-02-2004, 04:09 PM
eh either honda brand, or either a bosch o2 sensor.

what is borg-warner like?

honda
11-04-2004, 08:01 AM
what is borg-warner like?

ok. oxygen sensor codes. Both code 1 and code 2 are oxygen sensor codes. Does that mean there are two oxygen sensors on the Accord Lxi? I took it to a mechanic, and he said there was only one sensor? Is that correct, and if so what is the second oxygen sensor code about? Also, is there a way I can check the old oxygen sensor myself to see if it really is not working?

shepherd79
11-04-2004, 12:38 PM
look at your other thread you made. and please don't make multiple threads just beause you have diff question.

honda
11-04-2004, 01:54 PM
look at your other thread you made. and please don't make multiple threads just beause you have diff question.

new to this forum. you're not supposed to ask more than one question?

accordlxi2.0
11-04-2004, 01:59 PM
well, not on the same subject.
but 88-89 lx-i has 2 o2 sensor's.

smufguy
11-04-2004, 03:00 PM
new to this forum. you're not supposed to ask more than one question?

you are supposed to read the faq and newbie intro. SO then you will realize what up. All i can say is that ur lucky ur not on hondatech or anyother forum, cause i have heard they just start flaming newbies for asking repetitive questions.

honda
11-04-2004, 03:23 PM
my question was not on the faq, i think even if people read the faq they might still have a question.

honda
11-04-2004, 03:24 PM
thanks shepherd.

paullouisf
12-30-2004, 08:32 PM
Mine does 12 short flashes, a long pause then 12 short flashes, etc. I assumed that this was a code 12, but appearantly not. So what does 12 short flashes mean?

...now long or short flash is how the led tell you which code number : okay lets say you have a bad fuel injector (which is code 16)...the led when it goes to flash one time the led will stay on for about 1 or 2 seconds, then go off for about 1 or 2 seconds then flash 6 times fast, not very fast but fast...

3gn86lxi
12-30-2004, 08:58 PM
:sadwave: Check in the thread for the codes, it will tell you. A code 12 is egr. :alc:

buzzbomber88lx
12-31-2004, 08:21 AM
Mine does 12 short flashes, a long pause then 12 short flashes, etc. I assumed that this was a code 12, but appearantly not. So what does 12 short flashes mean?
that IS a code 12....my celica has the same style of computer and after I put a cold air intake on it the car started running really rich so I being my mechanical genious self tore into the afm to mess with it to turn the dial to run leaner...this threw a code. stuck a pin in the thing and read 5 short blinks and a pause and 5 short blinks.....this was o2 sensor (on my celica)..replaced the o2 sensor with a bosch 1 wire and drove it around for 10min. and it threw another code. checked it again and it was still throwing 5 blinks. knew the o2 sensor wasnt bad so I went to the salvage yard to buy a new afm and grabbed one off of a supra i6.....fixed all my problems :thumbup:

moral of this story is......dont screw with emmisions and be smarter than a blinking check engine light on the dash....however many times it blinks is what is wrong with it

smufguy
12-31-2004, 11:29 AM
this is why honda never invested in the maf technology. map is the way to go baby. No worrying about messing up shit.

buzzbomber88lx
12-31-2004, 04:26 PM
this is why honda never invested in the maf technology. map is the way to go baby. No worrying about messing up shit.
I'll agree that it is problem free, but the air/fuel being adjustable is nice...if I want to run a little lean on top end I can do it or if I want to run rich I can do that. with MAP you cant do that unless you get a piggyback for the ecu. I can tune my idle richness on the afm, I can adjust how much air goes into the throttle body etc. with my cold air system it sounds like a rabid elephant is coming from under the engine bay :rofl: I do hate messing with it all the time tho. reason I messed up the old afm was because I forgot to mark the position of the afm wheel where it was stock and couldnt find it when I put the cold air on and screwed it all up

smufguy
01-01-2005, 02:09 PM
lol buzzy, hehehe well with a standalone or piggyback (like u mentioned) we should have no problem ;)

buzzbomber88lx
01-01-2005, 05:55 PM
with a standalone I can get rid of the afm and be problem free as long as I get a dummy o2 sensor