PDA

View Full Version : BT Motor with A20A3 Components

FoX
11-02-2004, 07:52 PM
I had to do a swap on my 88 Honda Accord LX-i because i hydrolocked the motor and threw all 4 rods. I found a BT motor in a Prelude at the junkyard that i picked up for $75. I didn't know what was wrong with it but it looked fine so I proceeded to swap all the stuff off my a20a3 motor to the BT motor. Things Like : Intake manifold, Exhaust manifold, Alternator, Distributer, and many more things. The first time I ran it it had a lot of power but the tranny that came with the motor was screwed up (couln't get any gears other then 1st and 2nd.) So I switched to the tranny off of my a20a3 and went ahead and put in a new clutch and new cv axles. No the only problem i have is shifting is a little tight and i have a question about the ECU. I noticed that the motor runs lean more then not for the first 15 miles or so and then starts to richen up. What would cause this? could it be the ECU or is it really not getting enough fuel. I also wondered that if the BT motor 's Intake manifold is so much smaller if it might just be the shear size of the intake manifold i put on with a CAI? Any Way... I want someones 2 Cents.

:rice:

A20A1
11-02-2004, 08:17 PM
Well isn't the difference the dual stage of the later A3 manifolds.

You might want to check you coolant and thermo sensors... also the oxygen sensors. ???

smufguy
11-04-2004, 07:56 PM
Did u adjust the clutch cable on the tranny bracket? I hope u did, seems like u did a lot of work urself.

The block does not matter, if all the intake and what not is good, then it should run fine.

Since u hydrolocked, u got water in ur intake manifold. DId u open the manifold and clean the insides? ususally once water hits the carbon deposits, it tends to solidify and become an insulator. so clean out the intake manifold and remove all the gum from the tip of the injectors using brake parts cleaner (prestone brake parts cleaner works the best). Also u need to change the O2 sensors cause once u hydrolock, u shoot water into the exhaust manifold too. And once water hits the sensor or any liquid, the sensor is dead. So change both of the O2 sensors, clean out the manifold and tell us how it runs after that.

Spend the Extra $40 on a air bypass valve then ;)

SHURIK
11-05-2004, 05:55 PM
Just Wondering How Do U Hydrolock Ur Motor My 86 Had A Shity Seal On The Carb And Coolent Kept On Poring In The Intake No Lock Up For Me Just A Bit Of White Smoke Then I Cut All The Coolent To The Intake Ant I Fixt It
So What I Am Asking Is Did U Go Off Roading And Hit A Few Deep Pudels

FoX
11-05-2004, 07:24 PM
I got everything working properly now. Yes i did clean out the intake manifold and put new gaskets in. he reason it hydrolocked i told you about in another thread... Flash Flood and Cold Air Intake are not a good combo.