PDA

View Full Version : The wonderful life of owning a 3g

shyne_aiden
11-03-2004, 11:02 AM
We'll... i am the proud user of an 88 ex-i 5 speed that needs some major rust work and come summer when i'm done will be the shizz, but... I wanted some parts from other 3g's to make it the shizz so after a confusing week of weather or not to purchase this 89 ex-i auto i did. I GOT SCREWED!!!! at least i feel i did. I paid $400 canadian it runs which is good, body's good to swipe the panels and rockers and wheel wells off it for the 88 in the spring but it blows smoke out the back like a fire is burning as i drive. I have taken it to honda and they say it needs a new head gasket. A few auto places have quoted me 700 to 1800 to fix this. I dont want to spead that much on a beater that is gonna be stripped come spring and i have no use for the engine/tranny, HOW DO I FIX THIS ON MY OWN? Can i fix this on my own? My 88 can make it through the winter but the rust is deadly and i dont want it to get worse. Please someone help me on my new accord we'll call her "smokey"

:help: :help: :help:

dXsquared
11-03-2004, 11:11 AM
for the price of the new car.. you coulda just got new rockers/fenders and shit from the body shop... trying to reuse rockers, wheel wells or quarters is just bad news... 400 bucks would have got you all new rockers, new quarter/wheel wells... and about 100 bucks left over for any misc parts you'd need at the junkyard...

oh well.. back to the head gasket...

u can do it... if you know how... if not.. it will be tricky.. find a guy that will help u out for a minimal fee (beer?!?)

Travis

z3bra
11-03-2004, 02:17 PM
screw trying to replace a head gasket your talkin alot of work, might as well just get the whole thing rebuilt in the process, ur gunna pull alot of stuff off, or just buy a new engine, i found a place online that imports em for 500, with another 150 for shipping, all of the engines have under 60k miles and are cleaned and tested

ur gunna pay alot more to get it fixed somewhere

A20A1
11-03-2004, 02:24 PM
The shop manual should give you an idea of what you need to do to pull the head.

http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=25137

It's not a lot of work, just time consuming.

smufguy
11-04-2004, 07:51 PM
to be honest, Pulling the head takes 10 minutes or less. me and my buddy timed when i ripped apart my spare block. 22 minutes to be exact. and thats the head, block, oil pan and everything inside.

U need a 1/2" drive breaker bar, right sized socket. Use the 6 point not the 12point. and use a rubber mallet to knock the head loose off the block. DO NOT stuff anything like a screwdriver or anything bwt the head and the block to get the head seperated. and keep the head covered in a clean rag esp on the mating surface if ur gonna store the head and put it in a cardboard box.

BlueBead
11-04-2004, 11:47 PM
shyne_aiden ; Where are you located?
I just finished doing my second 3G head gasket in 3 months (*diff. cars)
If you're anywhere near me I could help you out. I'm recovering from the smahing of my hatch, but I have my new 4dr to get me around. The actual Head Gasket is ~$70CAN, and I know a good machine shop if the head is warped too much.
Anyways, don't pay for what you can do for yourself!