PDA

View Full Version : Battery Warning Light?

pendejo
11-04-2004, 02:32 PM
Well, I replaced my water pump a few days ago and apparently didn't adjust the alt. belt right so when I got in my car today, the battery was dead. I got it jump started and had no problems turning it on and off. Then, when I just went to leave, the battery light comes back on. Whats up with this damn car???

smufguy
11-04-2004, 02:57 PM
Well, I replaced my water pump a few days ago and apparently didn't adjust the alt. belt right so when I got in my car today, the battery was dead. I got it jump started and had no problems turning it on and off. Then, when I just went to leave, the battery light comes back on. Whats up with this damn car???

if you can replace your water pump, you should be able to know how to fix the belt. its a no brainer. Check to see if your alternator wiring is in place and also check to see how much volts ur putting out at idle and at 2K rpm. The only way to adjust the tension on the waterpump/alt belt is to adjust it on the top of the alt as u know.

pendejo
11-08-2004, 11:03 AM
I know ohw to adjust the belt, I meant I didn't adjust to the right tension! Anyway, I don't have a voltimeter so I can't check the output. The light does go off when I am above 3200 RPM, so it's most likely my Alt. However, my friend said he had the same prob in his 4Runner and it was just the battery. I'm not so sure about that one though, what do you guys think?

accordlxi2.0
11-08-2004, 12:29 PM
well try this... it worked for me.
run the car, let it warm up, then while its idling, disconnect the negative cable, if it still runs, then disconnect the positive cable.

POS carb
11-08-2004, 01:11 PM
thats a quick way to fry your regulator...

just turn it on at night, when you rev it the lights should get brighter by 1300 rpms or so if the alt is working. Also your idle will usually be a little higher than normal if the alt is dead. I'd also double check that belt tension. If you got water in the alternator it may just be from that, it usually goes away