PDA

View Full Version : 89 4dr efi swap

Immeraufdemhund
11-04-2004, 03:50 PM
i got all the wires out, all the guts of the engine bay. I got a wire harness from a 87 hatch and i'm a little confused if all the wires are going to work.

First questionis what are the wires that go behind seat belt and about mid way threw A piller. it plugs into something, but i can't unplug it so i just cut the wires. hopefully it's nothing important. Looks like also the power door locks wont work cause there is no plug in for the door box thingy that is under the pass side seat. (is there a way to get that in there still?)

oofta just looked at the time i gotta go. I'll ask more in a bit.thanx

smufguy
11-04-2004, 07:30 PM
its not gonna work. 4door wiring is different from the coupe/hatchie wiring. Did u read my how-to? even the engine bay wires should math the years 86-87 and 88-89 u cant switch between the years since the emission is different and so are the wiring in the engine bay. since the 86-87 efi has a buncha solonoids and stuff and does not have a second O2 sensor.

I dont know how ur gonna pull it off or you are gonna revert back to 86-87 efi emissions. the one that goes up the B pillar is for the rear doors and stuff.

Immeraufdemhund
11-06-2004, 10:33 AM
yah i read your how to. i was looking around for the second o2 sensor and i dont see it anywere. there wasn't even a wire for it. so far the wires in the engine bay are working fine. There is one thing missing though, it's a sensor that is next to the oil filter. when i'm looking down at it while standing in the radiator it's to the left. my 87 didn't have that. other than that every thing else is working in the engine. the cabin bay so far i dont know about cause i was looking for 2 hours for my main relay that i put in the garage. (i should be more organized) so far the only thing that doesn't seem to work is the door lock computer, and the rear B pillar wires for the rear doors. Looksl ike too the window controls wont work either cause my hatch only has two windows and and of course 4dr has 4 windows. so i'm going to have to figure out that. any suggestions how i can splice in that to work or do i have to run wires like mad?

i didn't see the solonoids for the 87 stuff. the only one i can think of is the one by the wiper motor but i disabled that when i had my hatch cause i disconnected the vacuum hoses to it when i put in the CAI.

Do you have a bigger picture of under your hood for the 88dx? if you do can you send it to me via email [email protected]

thanx.

ps...i still get a chuckle everytime i see your name cause i think back of when i called your smurfman... oh boy, no more gas tank swaps for me....LOL

smufguy
11-06-2004, 03:26 PM
the 86-87 efi had only ONe O2 sensor. SO u cant use a 88-89 ecu with this set up.

THere are solonoids on the right side of the engine bay for 86-87 efi. i think one of them was an idle control solonoid since they were external for the 86-87 efi.

The sensor next to the Oil filter found on A20A1 blocks are for the carb, U wont have a clip that connects to it on any 86-87 efi engine bay wiring harness and dont worry, u dont need that sensor.

You got no choice but to run seperate wires for the window controls on ur sedan since u can hot wire the hatch wires. better yet, get a efi sedan cabin wires and save urself some trouble.

http://img117.exs.cx/img117/7767/000_1062.th.jpg (http://img117.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img117&image=000_1062.jpg)
http://img117.exs.cx/img117/6067/000_1100.th.jpg (http://img117.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img117&image=000_1100.jpg)
http://img129.exs.cx/img129/6617/000_1060.th.jpg (http://img129.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img129&image=000_1060.jpg)

Immeraufdemhund
11-06-2004, 06:24 PM
hmmm so far everything seems ok. I still got some buttoning up to do in the engine bay. Some of my wires though in the cabin are different. I dont have all the clips for the pedals. I'm missing both of the clips for the clutch pedal. One doesn't button up. and a few wires from the steering wheel. I found were one of them go but they have different clips so i'll have to splice that in. I'll just have to wait to see what they are for later on. I dont feel like looking over the wire schematic and figuring out what they are. if it doesn't start i guess i'll know what i'll be doing, but i'll leave the dash out for that little process. Thanx for the pics. Any chance of getting a diagram of were all the vacuum hoses from the throttle body drivers side thingy. like one of them is for the vacuum booster, and one if for the regulator, but what about the other 3 or 4.??? thanx yo

Mike's89AccordLX
11-06-2004, 06:37 PM
Ahh crap I forgot that the car I got my wiring harness out of is an sei coupe!!!! Damit I forgot about the rear windows and crap. Well looks like it will be delayed....

smufguy
11-06-2004, 10:50 PM
thats why i emphasized these things in my How-to and in numberous CARB TO EFI threads about the body type. Cause these wirings are pain in the ass to figure out where and how to modify them if u dont get the right type. There is no way around basically unless u wanna splice and dice these things which i dont recommend.

You can still roll on two power windows and manual rear windows. But it would defenitely be gay as hell.

Immeraufdemhund: There is acutally 4 hoses. from the end of the TB that defenitely need for the 88-89 efis.

1. Map sensor
2. Fuel reg
3. Dist adv
4. charcoal canister thing
5. air mixture (not sure)
6. cold idle solonoid (not sure)

I will let u know for sure which ones u need. But again, u are using 86-87 type and ur black box has one or two extra hoses than mine. But iill take some pics of my new set up cause i got rid of the metal vaccuum pipeline and routed all the vaccuum lines under the manifold. Also i eliminated the Powersteering and the Secondary butterflies on mine.

Immeraufdemhund
11-07-2004, 09:58 AM
good deal thanx man. Looks like all i lack now are those few hoses on the drivers side TB and a few more coolant hoses. there is one that goes from the metal pipe up to a connector by the PCV valve then connects to another rubber hose. I can't remember were that goes. There is another one that is under the throttle flap that goes down than 45's. and lastly on the end of hte water pipe it splits off in all those directions, i can't figure were the one that points at the firewall goes. i'm assuming it goes to the connector under the Throttle plate thingy, but i can't find the hose for that yet. I'm looking in the shop manuel for a diagram of those hoses, but i dowbt i'll find it.

after all that i have to hook upthe coil, the black box, radiator, add water, hope and pray that the thing turns over...time it. finally a completion!

looks like i found the diagram in the cooling part of hte shop manuel, so never mind about the previous routing questions.

Immeraufdemhund
11-07-2004, 12:57 PM
YAHOOOOOO! starts like a charm...after i act like i'm stealing it. i had to jump the starter to make it start. all the relays come on but when i turn the key nothing (like if i didn't have the clutch all the way in) which wires are it for me to splice together to bypass that. Cause it would suck to have to start it that way EVERY time.

A20A1
11-07-2004, 02:45 PM
You can still roll on two power windows and manual rear windows. But it would defenitely be gay as hell.

lol, I run with 2 manual up front and 2 power at the rear.

SteveDX89
11-07-2004, 04:40 PM

Haha. My friend's Neon is like that. Came from the factory that way.

Using coupe/hatch parts when converting a sedan to EFI def. is not the smart way to do it. If you don't have a choice, that's different. However, I would sugguest just going to a junkyard, finding a sedan, and yanking the harnesses from that. Working with wiring is a real pain in the ass especially on a harness that big.

smufguy
11-07-2004, 07:58 PM
wow, im glad u dont have any major problems. Post some pictures man. Also, there should be a two wire clip near the clutch pedal. U can pull that clip and put a jumper wire and it should be good. ALso, double check everything before u take her out on the road.

Immeraufdemhund
11-08-2004, 03:44 PM
i have already been driven her all over the place. There are no clips currently pluged into any of the clutch pedal switches. There are two on their for the clutch, but nothing other wise. There is one clip that is pink and another one black with silver slashes on it. Doesn't plug into anything but i think it pluged into the old clutch pedal. I tried jumping that, and there was another clip that had a blue/ white wire and i think a black wire... one from the steering column and one from the wire harness... different clips. what are those? everything seems to be working other wise. I cut them and put them together and still nothing different. all my controls work so i dont know WHAT it is. thats all i can think of now. Its kinda funny how i have to start my car. Turn the key, pop the hood. touch a wire to my battery for my starter. I took the old wire harness starter wire and ran that by the battery so it's easy to jump. I almost feel like i'm stealing my own car everytime.

I also dont have a way of posting pics, but i can get some. The car looks like poopoo i have to bring it to a friend who has a frame rack so i can fix the drivers side headlight wall thingy. my old gray hatch fender and hood with a red drivers side popup headlight. The rest is ALL the gold silver color. ....and it's just a fugly looking thing. but i'll take some of under the hood and the sort. thanx for your help. EFI was a deffinate help...i have power again.

smufguy
11-08-2004, 10:08 PM
Trouble shoot your starter using this schematic. Its very easy and all u have to do is find connectivity between the leads and ur good. U know what and how to do, but here is the schemativ anyway.

http://img19.exs.cx/img19/3808/24-3.th.jpg (http://img19.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img19&image=24-3.jpg)

Does the small light above the ignition switch illuminate everytime u open and close ur door? the wires u cut could have been that.