PDA

View Full Version : I hate this car.

pendejo
11-04-2004, 08:48 PM
Ok, I bought my 89 LXi for $600 knowing the clutch was going out. I bought it from a family members Ex-Boyfriend, so he gave me a deal. Lets start witht he things that were wrong with it when I bought it
1.clutch slipping
2.windshield cracked
3.drivers side window does not roll up or down
4.drivers side dorr is somewhat smahsed(side swiped)
5.high miles
6.THE CAR HAD A FRIGGEN CRACK PIPE IN THE ASH TRAY WHEN I GOT IT!!!

Now, the day after purchasing the car the clutch goes out. I knew it would happen, just not so soon! Get the new clutch in about 2 weeks later,($210+ my old broken truck as part trade for labor), then the ignition goes out! Another $60 plus trying to figure out if it was the lock and tumbler or the switch, ended up being both! 3 weeks later, THE NEW CLUTCH GOES OUT!! Turns out, I got a faulty Pressure Plate, but got the parts under warranty. Then the clutch cable goes out about 2 weeks after that. Get a new one, and the speedometer cable breaks! Get a new one(after screaming at every auto parts store in town except NAPA!!!!!!). Now, after all this little stuff, the tranny decides to grenade itself!!! Get a low mileage Japanese import tranny($150, from a friend). Get that in, and the new clutch cable goes out! $41 for a new one. Then the H2O pump goes out last week($28). Now I get it fixed, everything seems great, and now my friggen alternator and/or alternator belt is going out. Got a new belt($16) and still need to replace belt.

So my grand total so far, is somewhere near $1100, not including various other little things that could amount upwards of $250 dollars. Plus the inclusion of my stereo system(Another $900 and coffe can exhaust, I've spent Roughly $2200 on this $600 car. Anyone else have a similar situation?

88accordhb
11-04-2004, 08:56 PM
damn sux for you and your beater.

MrBen
11-04-2004, 08:59 PM
Doesn't sound like much of a deal

AccordEpicenter
11-04-2004, 10:02 PM
hmmm things are either screwed up on the car or you have horrible luck, im still on a stock clutch cable with a dual diaphram PP race clutch (double clamp load=double pedal effort)

frankie89
11-04-2004, 11:04 PM
why did u even buy da car!! i think da family members planted that crackpipe but thats just my opinion!!!! gook luck !!!!

chiller670
11-04-2004, 11:49 PM
u sure your mechanic ain't breaking stuff so you keep coming back and spend money???

Strugglebucket
11-05-2004, 03:26 AM
THE CAR HAD A FRIGGEN CRACK PIPE IN THE ASH TRAY WHEN I GOT IT!!!
lol. that should be your sig, man.

good news is that all the things you have replaced should last a really long time.
just hope your head gasket doesn't blow next week:D

pendejo
11-05-2004, 08:39 AM
u sure your mechanic ain't breaking stuff so you keep coming back and spend money???

Well, since I am my own mechanic for 90% of these repairs, I don't think thats the case. The funny thing is I didn't want the damn car in the first place but I got suckered into buying, and I never even looked at it before I bought, my Uncle did. Also, shitty cheap parts are to blame for the repeat stuff. I got a low mileage japanese A20 to drop in there, so the whole car will be new;)

SteveDX89
11-05-2004, 08:57 AM
It's all good bud. I paid $2000 for mine and have put probably $8000 into it. :)

Dr._8t9LX
11-05-2004, 09:00 AM
I just put $2750 into mine for a new engine/ radiator after a melt down!! Talk about depressing, but we gotta keep these 3geez on the road!! So Cheer up man!! Your still in for less than a post '95 civic.

TEXANHATCH
11-05-2004, 02:06 PM
Let me see I paid $1300 for my car 2months ago, I put $280 in new tires, $45 changing the manual transmission fluid and thats it. I am planning to spend around $30 repairing some rust on the hatch, $20 oil change so far I think that I am doing good (nocking wood). I trust in Honda quality and think positive. If you are thinking that something else is gonna break probably it will.

AccordEpicenter
11-05-2004, 02:23 PM
I paid $3k for mine with 86k miles and in pristine condition back in 97... Ive never really had to put serious money into it fixing/repairing it, the only money i put into it was to go turbo :)

shyne_aiden
11-05-2004, 02:39 PM
oh man, i paid 3 geez (lol) for my accord in '97 i had replaced the steering column twice, the front end, many ball joints and control arms, new rad, battery, pump, fuel line, complete suspension, jus put new tranny 1800$, new brakes, it's in the body shop for new rockers, wheel wells, fenders, small rust spots and paint, some belt is sqeeling and i jus bought another that has a few probs the main are head gasket and squeelin belt, so i gotta say if you want to be different and own what can be a sweet ride, you gotta deal with the bs these old hondas put out... good luck on your fixer upper!

AccordEpicenter
11-05-2004, 03:34 PM
for straight up maintenance and broken parts, i only had to do brakes 1x and timing belt/water pump and lower ball joints/tie rod ends... thats it

86LXItooFAST4me
11-05-2004, 05:07 PM
huh, i dont even know how much ive put in mine so far. basically think of going threw a junk yard and picking out a 86 lxi with the front end all F*&$%# up but no rust or dents on the body. all electrics (windows, locks, sunroof , yatta yatta) but nothing worked right and the coolent system all facked up. then basically rebuilding everything from the ground up and then doing a $1500 head job. it adds up FFASASSTT. i payed $300 cash for the car and have had it for a little over a year now and dumped over 4Gs in it. so far...

accordlxi2.0
11-05-2004, 05:24 PM
hmm, my accord cost me about $350.
only money i've invested in was the starter, other than that everything else was what i wanted to do.

the car has a new cylinder head, carb (but does'nt seem like it), belts are somewhat old.
the shocks (are hi performance like) , and new springs and new ball joints and stuff.

Low Tek
11-05-2004, 05:32 PM
I paid $900 for mine, and it has went through a $1285 tranny (clutch docter) that blew out. replaces the springs/shocks, all new front end bushings... and then just recent transplanted a newer motor for $450, and then the intake and other "extras" so I am almost $3000 into mine, and I am getting ready to do turbo for another $3000 with of goodies.. but better then a civic I agree

nswst8
11-05-2004, 06:24 PM
But not to your extent. Last year I put in a clutch, flywheel, rear main seal (Felpro) mistake, Distributor, P/S pump, New brakes all around.

Well the first drums were out of round easy fix swapped them out.

Then I got the front end shakes while breaking another easy fix swapped the warped rotors always torque lugs to specs

Now I beleive the rear main is leaking (Felpro) I usually don't use after markets in seals but I forgot to order one before the clutch, Got the OEM honda from majestic but I was thinking of ACT clutch this time around.

But all in all I wouldn't sell this car for any amount of cashola under $7500 it would take that much to buy something as reliable as the 3Geez. Then again I am real confident about my 3geez.

I'd drive it to Alaska today if I had to with no reservations.

pendejo
11-05-2004, 08:43 PM
Whewww, thought I was the only one, guess not!! I like the car and all, but all these nickel and dime parts are killing me. Now, while trying to replace alt. belt, I got pissed and cut all the belts(AC/PS) so now I have to spend more money on it. I used to think I wanted to work with cars for a living, but I say FACK THAT. I have that love/hate relationship with this car. If I didn't have to spend all this money on fixing it, I'd have a turbo by now. Then again, if I do that, I'm gonna break more sh!t!!!

I WISH I HAD A RICH DADDY THAT BOUGHT ME EVERYTHING:(

(Not implying any of you have that)

Devon
11-06-2004, 12:39 AM
Hell, I just had the same deal but I didn't spend so much, I got my 89 Accord for $160 it had some body damage and suspension damage. I thought it only needed a subframe, that was 70 bucks plus I had to put it in myself, then the back end of the suspension was all fucked up, never got around to fixing it, The motor ticked really bad, I figuered it just needed a valve adjust, We did that and it sounded better but still had a tick. then that tick turned into a knock and that knock turned into a spun rod bearing. now $400 later Iam really pissed but what do you expect buying sub $1000 cars. Now I might see if I can find another mechanics special 3G and make one good car cause a 4G cost a arm and a leg.

Jin4576
11-08-2004, 06:42 AM
man that sux....getting a car cheap sounds good, but usually people just want to get rid of their beater thats too messed up for them to repair. Like they say, if its too good to be true, it usually is...or something like that

FatDave
11-08-2004, 09:25 AM
when i got my hatch it had a broken timing belt, missing the fenders, hood, and passenger sail window, had no tires on it and needed the orken man to get rid of the ants in it i gave the redneck that owned it $75 took it home and had it running in a day all in all i have alittle over $400 invested and have had it over a year its had its problems i didnt find a crack pipe in it, but i did find a strange amount of aluminum foil wadded up in it....

gp02a0083
11-10-2004, 02:13 PM
guess i got luckey with my 89 lxi HB i talked the guy down from 1200 to 800 the things only got 150k ( still lots of life left for a honda) a new tranny was put in last january and it came with a new starter and 4 new tires and i got the alum option rims for the car too and all i put into it was a high end pressure power steering hose cuz it was torn and a battery so far , oh wait and a rear hatch glass b/c i closed the hatch too hard one day

AccordEpicenter
11-11-2004, 06:10 AM
once a 3g or any honda has been neglected or severely abused, they often become money pits. If they are taken care of on the other hand, theyre very reliable and cheap to own. If I could find a nice 3g in near mint condition with under a 100k around here i would probably buy it. Most 3gs (if you can find them, most are rusted out and non roadworthy anymore, road salt) have literally 250k+ and beat to piss. Oh well how many other 15+ year old cars do you see on the road these days?

gp02a0083
11-11-2004, 07:35 AM
epice , ur right i mean im luckey enough to get a decent G3 with only minor cancer on it , but i still cant find a accord that doesnt have rust in my area, i was fortuneate enought to find my 86 442 with no rust but here in jersy near the shore and the winter allmost everything has rust

sinracer
11-12-2004, 02:11 AM
ok where do i begin? i have an 88 hatchback that i bought for 2400 from a used car lot.when i bought it, it had been lowered already and had some minor mods.i drive it for about 3 months no prob. the car needed new tires so instead of gettin stock replacement i bought some 17's and a set of yokohama parada spec2's (500 for rims and 450 for tires)well i killed those in 6 months due to camber. so i bought adjustable coil overs for $150 then another set of yokohama's and the camber kit for 200. just about a week after that the starter went out and had to pay like 80 for that.then went the alternator,then the brakes and just about that time i had already killed my yokohama's and decided to go with a cheaper tire so i bought some ventus.so i had a few months of a good runnin car then my shocks go out. 400bucks to repair that then because i had the car so low i was drivin and hit my oil pan and put a hole in that.rplaced that then my clutch went out replaced that then my tranny went out.well luckily i talked to a guy on 3geez that sold me one cheap even if it wasnt an accord tranny(prelude tranny) it worked.ok so i have done all this work now and the cars runnin good. well then comes the crappy part. my car got broken into and they stole my whole sound system witch by this time has been in the making for about a year and a half. it was sic i had thee 12's powed by two 1000watt amps i had one inch tweeters 2and a half tweeters mids in the doors and tree ways in the back and all the speakers were rockford fosgate and powered by a 200 watt amp and a500 wat amp.but anyways they stole the system and smashed out the passenger window just to be punks(they kicked it out from the inside) a week later i lent the car to a buddy who didnt pay attention to the temp gauge and blew the motor.so i had to sell my rims to pay for the motor to get fixed .so i get the motor fixed new pistons , machined head all that fun stuff and 3 days after i get it back it starts bleeding antifreeze come to find out it needed a water pump.then the cars runnin good again then i come out of the store to go home one night and as i pull forward out of the parking spot my cv shaft granades . come to find out the tranny i bought was off a prelude and doesnt fit correctly so i had to have a custim cv shaft made for my car.i m not even sure how much i have put into this car anymore. thats all just macanical that doesnt include the other add on i have done.this is what proves how much i love my 3g.

maroonlx
01-02-2005, 12:07 PM
my family has owned our 88 lx since b4 i was born (im 16) and it died on us and we dropped about 6 geez into it, i love that car but its a GIANT money pit. we fixed it and now we're having problems AGAIN. lets just say i was driving with spirit and now it kinda stutters. lol. like it stutters when u drive it and it stalls...any one have any idea what is wrong w/ it. it idles REALLLY awkwardly too. any advice will be appreciated.

ehulst
01-02-2005, 12:46 PM
:welcome: Alot of people ask the same questions but don't kno that they have been answerd already ..not to be a mean person or anything but theres a search bar up top..type in what your looking for and breeze around the results....that way people wont get mad on this board, but if u cant find it on the search ask and people will help point you in the right direction....check any vaccum hoses that might be cracked or out of place....does is shutter when u brake...?

AccordEpicenter
01-04-2005, 12:27 PM
SINRACER http://s94441240.onlinehome.us/colin.jpg

Ichiban
01-04-2005, 04:47 PM
I have a 2nd gen accord hb (83). i found it in a field at my dads house, drove it to college for a year with 4th missing, tossed in another engine and tranny out of dad's field, welded up the holes in the floor with old roadsigns and drove it from home to gagetown, NB where i worked for 6 months and then back home. BC to NB is about 5300 kilometers each way, so summer of 2003 saw probably around 15-18 000 km on that poor sack of crap. Back home during the fall of 2003 i spent prob 1000 dollars on new fenders, quarter panels and suspension parts, ripped it down to the tub at my buddy "guy's" house, and began fabricating parts to repair extensive rust. I got about a week into it when a dodge pickup showed up for a complete resto and work has stopped ever since. I picked up an a18 twin carb engine and 5-speed out of a prelude (1987) and had dry fit this into the engine bay, confirming that it would fit, with only having to fabricate the front engine mount. CV shafts and shift linkages all work with the prelude tranny. Now if only that dodge would leave......

howndamane
01-04-2005, 04:56 PM
crack kills

syclinsam
05-12-2005, 12:31 PM
I got my 86 lxi hatch in dec. for free! great right? well for the most part. It took about 2 months for me to get it running and i'm still getting not passing inspection so far:

main relay - $25
distributor - $50
coil - $35 - 40 (not quite sure)
injectors - $ 40
fuel pump - $100
coolent temperature sensor - $5
new exhaust - $145
CV boots - $16
oil pan - $???? if anyone has one let me know I need one.

plus all the mait. changes, plugs, battery etc.
and patched the rust in my floor boards and wheel wells.

all told it's about $500, which isn't bad, but it's still not inspected, and I'm afraid what else might need to be done before it gets there.

she's gonna be perfect for me once she's on the road
its been fun too, can't forget that part

Forgar_88
05-14-2005, 10:18 AM
Bought my 87 LXi hatch in 2002 for $1200 from used car lot. Spent $2500 (on credit) at Les Schwab for tires, ADR Cypher 17's, camber and caster kit, and 2" Eibach drop kit. Then $150 for full exhaust, $300 for spoiler, and i dont remember how much for stereo. Then lost it to the cops in spring '03 when it was impounded. Found it in the spring of '04 and paid $1800 for it. Blew the engine from a broken timing belt and sold it last fall. Now am buying it back this week for $350 from person that got it from me. Needed engine which i just got for $50 with 8000 miles on it and a new front bumper.

keruhas184
05-14-2005, 11:07 AM
Damn, now thats one 3gee saga. :omg:

snow_man_20
05-16-2005, 05:06 AM
I got my 86 lxi hatch in dec. for free! great right? well for the most part. It took about 2 months for me to get it running and i'm still getting not passing inspection so far:

main relay - $25
distributor - $50
coil - $35 - 40 (not quite sure)
injectors - $ 40
fuel pump - $100
coolent temperature sensor - $5
new exhaust - $145
CV boots - $16
oil pan - $???? if anyone has one let me know I need one.

plus all the mait. changes, plugs, battery etc.
and patched the rust in my floor boards and wheel wells.

all told it's about $500, which isn't bad, but it's still not inspected, and I'm afraid what else might need to be done before it gets there.

she's gonna be perfect for me once she's on the road
its been fun too, can't forget that part

must buy alot of your parts a a junk yard?

snow_man_20
05-16-2005, 05:07 AM
Bought my 87 LXi hatch in 2002 for $1200 from used car lot. Spent $2500 (on credit) at Les Schwab for tires, ADR Cypher 17's, camber and caster kit, and 2" Eibach drop kit. Then $150 for full exhaust, $300 for spoiler, and i dont remember how much for stereo. Then lost it to the cops in spring '03 when it was impounded. Found it in the spring of '04 and paid $1800 for it. Blew the engine from a broken timing belt and sold it last fall. Now am buying it back this week for $350 from person that got it from me. Needed engine which i just got for $50 with 8000 miles on it and a new front bumper.

I think it's gone for a reason, i would leave it that way.

According2Me
05-16-2005, 05:42 AM
I think it's gone for a reason, i would leave it that way.

...hmmmm....thats worse than my story. I would take it to a garage, strip it down, sell the parts at the forum, then fill the gas tank, lite a looooonnnng fuse and run like hell... :rockon:

kaltenacht
05-17-2005, 05:38 PM
hmm... ive had a similar situation with my car, minus the crack pipe. Parents bought this car for me something like 400US dollars so far, ive painted the interior (around 20, or 30$), gotten two new CV axles, new brake calipers, pads, bolt and pin set for them, and new brake lines for the front, so pretty much new brake system of front... so that cost around 120 150, i dare say 200, really dont know but something like that. and theres alot of little things to be fixed, such as new hood, new turn signal cam, battery, power antenna, stereo system, suspension (shocks and coils), oh and the exhaust i fixed using FLEX PIPE!!!! haha its only temporary. then just the usual engine maitence like oil change and a rad. flush, tires and a front end alignment... sucks for me but i love the damn car. so i guess its worth it? who knows, only time shall tell but i guess its not a bad deal for a second car.

AntiRice
05-17-2005, 07:10 PM
Well considering you put a coffee can exhaust on it, I don't have much sympathy for you.