PDA

View Full Version : Snow Tires

danronian
11-06-2004, 06:55 AM
After spinning the wheels going up mountain roads for two winters I finally decided to buy myself some true snow tires. Instead of getting multiple prices and comparing different brands I just bought the first I could find mainly b/c I really don't have that much free time. I went with Kelly Wintermark Magna Grip HT, size 195 60 r14, just for the fronts. (http://www.kelly-springfield.com/auto/products/popups/magna_grip.html)
Has anyone tried these and if so how did you like them? (Now I'm wondering what I got myself into...Last winter I had General Exclaims and I thought they were excellect in the snow, but since they wore bald in less than a year and a half, I had to get rid of them in time for winter, which also gave me the excuse to get myself my new 16 in. rim/tire combo.)
For now I am just going to run my 16in. rim and ventus hr2 combo in the back but if they really slide around, which I think they will, I'll probably just buy the cheapest tires I can find to put on the remaining two 14in. stock wheels.

Defiant[YD]
11-11-2004, 12:48 PM
hah, i got those same tires the same day u posted this
i'm interested in how they perform over the long run.

danronian
11-11-2004, 02:05 PM
I'm installing them today since I have a feeling winter is coming a bit earlier b/c it's already in the teens on some nights. I can't imagine how bad they are going to handle but that doesn't really matter when you can get through the snow with ease. I'll have to take a picture of these truck-like beasts on my car, It'll look pretty funny, in a car nut kind of way.

shepherd79
11-12-2004, 06:05 AM
you should have got all 4 tires. your back will be spipping like crazy.