PDA

View Full Version : Best Mufflers

kmcbee_3g
11-06-2004, 01:22 PM
Just wanted to know what the best muffler is to put on my new 88 AccordLXi.
What would make my honda sound like a true ricer but not blow the budget too much.

accordlxi2.0
11-06-2004, 02:01 PM
well, i know it's ghetto but taking off your muffler, and putting a tip on.
it does'nt sound ricey, nor that loud but it sound's like the car has some balls.

A20A1
11-06-2004, 02:14 PM
usually people remove the silencer and leave the muffler... I never tried it in reverse order... just make sure cops wont pull you over for no muffler.

AccordEpicenter
11-06-2004, 02:18 PM
the best muffler is no muffler

mykwikcoupe
11-06-2004, 02:20 PM
ok i think its time to put my little not so secret secret on the line here. Go to summit or jegs look at there supertrapp mufflers. I have them on my tbord and my scout. they freaking rock. if you want it loud just pull out some of the baffles. Want it quieter just put more baffles in. Its a straight thorugh design so if nothing it may help more than it hinders. Dont get the biggest damn one they have either. Size it right and itll be killer. Theyre pretty cheap for what you get and sound killer. Im going to put one on my turbo car and the wifeys car

Moodybluesr
11-06-2004, 02:39 PM
Magnaflow XL stainless; get one off eBay for around $60 shipped (a little higher with tips).

3gn86lxi
11-06-2004, 02:52 PM
Iv'e got a bomz stainless muffler on my lxi. It has a nice deep sound until bout 5000 prm, then it gets raspy sounding! I like it, not ricey at all.

FatDave
11-06-2004, 03:31 PM
i have flowmaster 40's on my Thunderchicken, and washed cherry bombs on my hatch, no cat or Resonator, its a bit loud for my taste...

pendejo
11-06-2004, 05:28 PM
I've got some APC style ricer coffee can. It sounds deep and throaty though, not ricey. I've HEARD that the reason some mufflers sound whiny and ricey is because of the hangers they use. I used stock, so I dunno. I've heard some pretty ricey 3g's though.

zero.counter
11-06-2004, 09:25 PM
The Raptors, turbo and turbo II mufflers, the dynomax, etc. Just get a tip welded an you are set. Low tone, not tinny, and feels a little smoother. IMO

BDaccordguy
11-06-2004, 10:06 PM
i had two on my purple 3rd gen. The first i had was a Ractive can muffler. It was loud, but had a tough sound to it and got a little raspy in the upper revvs. The second one i had was a Borla Stainless muffler, that muffler was the freaking sheit! It wasnt too loud (only when u put your foot into the pedal) and had a smooth, deep throaty tone to it. I would definitely suggest Borla or Magnaflow, which i just picked up for my beretta.

my86dx4dr
11-07-2004, 12:12 AM
the best muffler is no muffler
:werd: and i havent ever had a prob with cops.

Even when bein pulled over cop never noticed.

Now if you want loud.

Try taking the downpipe off.

hahahaha.

that shit sounds like an old datsun :rockon:
speciely at 5k

accordlxi2.0
11-07-2004, 06:24 AM
oh man thats way too loud for me.
i remember with my flex pipe was torn.. that car was loud and slow in the low rpm range, but 3500rpms and up it had great pick-up. but once i had that fixed and drove the car with no muffler, it not only sound sweet but it had noticeable power throughout the range!

AccordEpicenter
11-07-2004, 08:56 AM
well you have to remember im running an open downpipe in the accord when i did the turbo swap and ive revved the piss out of it even when cops have came up behind me at lights and theyve never bothered me over it. I bet if they didnt have much to do they might come after me... but it hasnt happend yet

od2681
11-07-2004, 09:52 AM
:werd: and i havent ever had a prob with cops.

Even when bein pulled over cop never noticed.

Now if you want loud.

Try taking the downpipe off.

hahahaha.

that shit sounds like an old datsun :rockon:
speciely at 5k
its kinda cool at night..cuzz you can see flames shooting out of hte manifold

steven
11-07-2004, 09:56 AM
if you want a deep tone put more resonators on , or for loud no resornater and no cat(or gutted)

Justin86
11-07-2004, 10:30 AM
I've had a 40 series, and a basic magnaflow, they are both about 90db, but they are too raspy for my tastes esp the magna. The very best it has soundes was with stock exhaust and had the muffler cut off. It's about 93db but has a very nice deep tone. With just a glass pack and 2.25 exhaust it sounds crazy, and like something you don't want to mess with, but it is very loud, never had a chance to test it but it is easy over 110 db.

kmcbee_3g
11-07-2004, 10:43 AM
Thinks for the tips guys. I think i willl first take the muffler off and see what it sounds like. Maybe save the money i was going to spend on a muffler and buy performance headers and then work my way back to the muffler.

HondaBoy
11-07-2004, 11:04 AM
i'd say if your going to go to a muffler shop, get 2 1/4 inch pipe from your cat back, unless you wanna get rid of the cat. instead of what most people consider a regular muffler, get a glass pack. they are cheap and easy. pretty much the same thing as an old fart can, but way cheaper! you can usually pick up a glass pack from a range of $15-$30. thats what i have on my car. i have 2 actually, one long one about 20 inches and another 12 inch. then i have mine comming out to a Y pipe into pipes on the left and right with dual tips on each. with 2 glass packs its somewhat quiet. you could do something like two 6 inch or 12's in different spots. it doesnt sound like other 4 cylinders like civics and what not. its got a much deeper tone that has a nice strong tone. more of a 6 cylinder sound to it.

Here's what i got:http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=37724&highlight=exhaust

buds302
11-07-2004, 12:10 PM
check this out:http://keruh.com/3gz/justin86_dyno.mpg
its justins dyno video. major flamage and i dont know what hes got for an exhaust but from the way it sounds it doesnt sound like hes got one!lol

now although all these suggestions are good one thing you can try,depending on your states emmissions laws(if they have testing) or inspection laws(if they look every year) you could gut your cat and leave the shell. but if you have strict emiss laws you might not wanna do it

Justin86
11-08-2004, 09:52 AM
LOL that is with my magnaflow and a really bad exhaust leak. It really isn't too loud 90db, just the echo of it makes it seem louder.

Robs89LXi
11-08-2004, 12:14 PM
While sort of on the subject, what is the QUIETEST exhaust you know of that also gives good performance results? I like the sleeper effect.

A20A1
11-08-2004, 02:11 PM
Get a longer resonator to lower the sound and a basic highflow muffler with a stock looking body and tip.

If I had my car running and a good host I'd post a clip of my 2" stock looking muffler in action. Probably be in quicktime since thats what my camera outputs as.

Robs89LXi
11-08-2004, 02:12 PM
Yeah, post it if you can, Mike. What longer resonator are you refering to? Do you have one, and if so, what is it?

A20A1
11-08-2004, 02:53 PM
Sweet... :D
http://www.nissanperformancemag.com/august02/revenge_nerds/

sporkHSP
11-08-2004, 09:18 PM
im buying a Remus muffler... its expensive, but they offer what i want.

POS carb
11-15-2004, 02:15 PM
I have a highflow cat to a pacesetter catback pipe to a hooker aero chamber muffler with hooker dual euro tip (no resonators)
sounds great but i'm tired of the rumbling messing with my bass, it's too loud now, I'm definaltely going to consider a supertrapp. The muffler is loudest between 1500 and 4000 RPMs, right where the engine is sweetest, after that the carb is sucking so loud I can't really tell. I conviced friend also put a Flowmaster 40 on his 4-cyl Ranger and it sounds KICKASSSSS but its more show than go, we had them put a dual tip exit in front of the rear wheel (it's a step-side too)

Can anyone recommed a QUIET dual tip muffler for the 3gee that isn't too restrictive b/c if it's too restrictve i'd just buy a stock Prelude muffler

88'er
12-06-2004, 10:02 PM
DYNOMAX!!! i've got a dynomax super turbo, and its deep as hell, its sweet sounding even next to bigger engines with exhaust jobs like camaro's and mustangs. and i hope u were meaning to say that you DIDN"T want your car to sound like a true ricer! good luck man!

Mark Rudy
12-07-2004, 04:37 AM
DYNOMAX!!! i've got a dynomax super turbo, and its deep as hell, its sweet sounding even next to bigger engines with exhaust jobs like camaro's and mustangs. and i hope u were meaning to say that you DIDN"T want your car to sound like a true ricer! good luck man!

I hear this and that about various exaust systems, how great they sound etc.. why has noone thought to post what their performance exaust system sounds like and let the listener decide which "sound" best matches what they are lookinbg for? :stupid:

88'er
12-07-2004, 02:06 PM
well for one, exhaust on our cars is probably goin to add 10hp if we are lucky and a little less at the wheels where it matters. and sound is a VERY important thing as well. yes i agree performance is number one but pretty much any after market muffler exhaust is going to give you free'er flow than stock, but not all of us want our cars sounding like those tin rockets ricing down the street.

thegreatdane
12-09-2004, 08:59 AM
well for one, exhaust on our cars is probably goin to add 10hp if we are lucky and a little less at the wheels where it matters. and sound is a VERY important thing as well. yes i agree performance is number one but pretty much any after market muffler exhaust is going to give you free'er flow than stock, but not all of us want our cars sounding like those tin rockets ricing down the street.

No, you wont gain 10hp with just a muffler. Or a cat back for that sake.

88'er
01-10-2005, 01:49 PM
thats why i said "exhaust" not muffler! when most people upgrade the exhaust they go with a new header, pipes, and muffler, and YES after all that you as i said might get 10hp, probably less at the wheels.

Hash_man_Se_i
01-10-2005, 02:46 PM
ES tuning oval muffler... I plan to get one as soon as I fix my car... they sound really nice, arent too loud, and look pretty stock, you can even get them in black.

Ludi Mali
01-10-2005, 04:39 PM
While sort of on the subject, what is the QUIETEST exhaust you know of that also gives good performance results? I like the sleeper effect.

I was wondering the same thing, but from what i've been told, reducing the noise reduces flow which hinders performance.

2ndgenludedude1986
01-11-2005, 07:30 PM
im going to go ahead and say Magnaflow.

BDaccordguy
01-11-2005, 08:59 PM
my borla was fairly quiet, i could hardly hear it over the engine noise. but outside the car it sounded great, low and smooth like i said before, but not loud at all.

sporkHSP
01-11-2005, 09:04 PM
I can't buy the remus anymore so I'm going to try a Magnaflow 14815 or 14862. If that is too loud I will put a 14415 ( 4inch round muffler) where the resonator should be.

onliLX-i
02-17-2006, 12:58 PM
What is the deal with these turbo mufflers I have been hearing about. Do they actually help your exhaust perform better.

A20A1
02-17-2006, 01:16 PM
Turbo Mufflers?

I think you are talking about the Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler
people have been using to replace the Monza/Pacesetter Muffler when they buy the Pacesetter Cat-Back.

onliLX-i
02-17-2006, 01:34 PM
Yeah, that one. Is there anything "turbo" about it or is that just a name? Just a regular performance muffler?

A20A1
02-17-2006, 01:38 PM
Just a name.

HondaBoy
02-17-2006, 05:37 PM
the turbo mufflers are fairly quiet compared to what we like to call "fart cans". thats because the provide more back pressure with better designed internals instead of just being a strait through glass pack. my friend has dynomax turbo mufflers on his '70 dodge challenger. they work well making adequite back pressure instead of letting it flow too much. that's why you hear back fires like when you let of the gas for a shift or something of that nature with open mufflers. my exhaust does it. as for the name "turbo muffler" i think its mainly because people use them on turboed cars so they have good exhaust flow but keep some back pressure.

gfrg88
02-17-2006, 06:18 PM
i have a turbo muffler, its not really that quiet but not too loud either it sounds great and is really deep....

onliLX-i
02-21-2006, 08:01 AM
Expensive?

onliLX-i
02-21-2006, 02:48 PM
Loud N Proud!

gfrg88
02-21-2006, 07:24 PM
hey i love my dynomax turbo muffler, it sounds great :rockon: