PDA

View Full Version : uberdata q's

mykwikcoupe
11-06-2004, 08:34 PM
Ok so ive been reading like Im back in college the last few days and have found out quite a bit but have developed some other questions i havent found answers to. These first are going to seem a little slow on my part. Whats an IACV and FTL and what purpose do they have. Secong the 3 bar map sensor where exactly is it located and is it truely a GM part like made by ac delco?

As for wideband o2 sensors. How many out there actualy continually run with it installed rather than just tune with it and put the narrowbands back in? Is it more for hight boost levels or do they keep it just for the gauge. About the gauge is it the same as a stoich meter? function and all. It seesm this is the route Im going in. ill be using the 3 bar map b16 manifold converting to obd1 and all that jazz.

When i started rwading the uberteg guy did all the progaraming and burning and all that. it seems now as if you need to have chips and a burner and all that. Say i jjust wanted to pay someone to do the burning for me. i understand most of it i just dont want to hassle with all that just yet. i like the datalogging though.

Why is everyone uses the MSD BTM. im going to use the 6al rather than the digital 6 any reason why not? Ill ask about boost controllers later

AccordEpicenter
11-08-2004, 06:33 PM
IACV is idle air control valve and its an electrically operated valve that controls the idle rpm. Ive never heard of FTL... Yes GM does actually have a 3 bar map sensor... what do you mean by where is it located? I would run a wideband all the time if i had one, it lets you monitor your a/f so you dont lean out... definintly important if your boosting. A wideband o2 is way way way more accurate than a simple lean/stoich/rich a/f gauge. I use a BTM because its cheap and reliable... a 6BTM and Digital 6 are quite a few hundred dollars... i might upgrade later but for now ill stick to the standard BTM. Yea for uberdata, you should tune the car with a laptop and an eeprom emulator that you can tune the engine in real time with, and once you get to the desired tuning, you save the file and then burn the program with the tune you wanted onto an eprom, then you have a hard copy of the program that you plug into your ecu.

RobT5580
11-08-2004, 06:51 PM
The stock map sensor is the 3 pin connector that goes in the "black box". Im running the AEM 3.5 map sensor which can be tapped right into the intake manifold. And i think a wide band is one of the most important parts and is the only way to get accurate AFR's. As for the OBD conversion its not all the bad and will open up many doors for you. As for the uberdata im sure you can find someone local that can do it just make sure they are good and once you have everything how you want it you will be set. It seems to be a popular tuning method since its cheap and it seems there are a lot of people that do it. I see a lot of guys on homemadeturbo that tune with uberdata.

AccordEpicenter
11-08-2004, 07:18 PM
yeah nothing wrong with uberdata. Rob hows your setup coming anyway. Thats one of the next things i need to get (wideband o2)

RobT5580
11-08-2004, 07:43 PM
The second block is done but its been a big mess full of drama but i settled with the machine shop today since both of us were at fault on 2 different issues. So i will pick it up friday and asseble it all and if it fires up with the EMS then i can proceed to have it tuned then break it in.

The only good of all this crap was i bumped my compression up to 9:1 to compensate on the low end since its not really a big issue if tuned right. Other than that iv been stressed out and battling it out with the shop and its 2 owners since one agreed to do the spare block for free and the other tried to charge me in full. The bottom line was the o-ring job sucked and i knew i would blow the gasket and the owner i dealt with said he would do my spare block free since he could not fix it to my liking. I tried to pick it up friday and found a $1200 bill which was $700 labor so i flipped out and after arguing with the owners Friday and today for another hour we settled. But friday im going to pick it up and start over and hopefully things are better if not i will drop what im doing until winter break or spring since im tapped out and stressed to the max.

Sorry to clutter your thread Mike.....

mykwikcoupe
11-20-2004, 02:24 PM
no problem rob Glad to hear things are kinda ok. Stress sucks. Im 24 with a house wife, new baby and 1 income even if it is in the 60-75k range its never enough. It looks like Im going to be completely shavin from this point further. My wifey told me that the entire right side of my beard was white. Not blonde, white. So the beard ive cherished for over a year will be no more and i need to figure out how to lean out some of the stress and no sleep nights i have.

Ik so back to the original thread. Ive rerad that there is no limit to the fule injectors that tuning cant fix. What about boost. if I wanted to run say 20-25 psi on a GM 3bar would that work or will i end up using my apexi to hack again. Should i use it anyway for tuning or emulating

RobT5580
11-20-2004, 04:51 PM
I don't recommend running that much boost on a honda head gasket. Iv been asking on the prelude board and there are a few that pushed over 20psi fine. But recently one of the guys blew his head gasket after about 8 months or so. I wish i could have used the copper head gasket but its useless w/o good o-rings. As for injectors i know with the EMS you can use pretty much any so i kicked myself for getting the 550cc since i will probably max them out. And the AFC hack is only good for low boost from what i remember reading.

AccordEpicenter
11-20-2004, 06:35 PM
yeah stock headgaskets get suspect when your pushing like 18+psi... you might be able to get away with headstuds and a stock headgasket if your conservativley tuned. For maximum durability o rings with a copper headgasket would probably be your best bet, like rob said. AFC setups are only good to whatever the map sensor stops reading at (usually 9-11 psi)

mykwikcoupe
11-21-2004, 08:44 AM
well if i was to use the gm 3 bar and uberdata would i even still need the afc? You make it sound like the copper gasket gasket and the o rings didnt work out for you rob. It was a crappy job but didnt you have it done on your engine. Oh speaking of which im in the market for a spare head wanna donate?

What Im asking is if i was to run the stock compression with a gt28rs turbo pushing somewhere say 15-25 max (ill list the 25 because thats what the turbo willmake not what i will run). Would just uberdata work or would i still need a second hack box of some sort. Ive read alot of tuning and such but cant find any info on limitations of uberdata tuning in any real thread. Its always "well when i tuned mine..."

Oh and FTL stands for Full Throttke launch. OBD1 supports it with tuning through uberdata for sure. They say you can get a boost reference through it also but Im hoppoing my hks evc4 will work. If not ill have all kinds of low boost hack stuff up for sale all new in box if anyone is interested.

AccordEpicenter
11-21-2004, 01:49 PM
you shouldnt use an AFC with any other managemant (turbo edit, uberdata or a standalone ecu) or your completely defeating the purpose of having a tunable ecu. Uberdata should give you enough tunability to support that kind of power, but its not as easy as most standalone computers out there, but for the savings and reliability that the uberdata provides for cheap, its probably the best choice for your money.

RobT5580
11-21-2004, 04:52 PM
[QUOTE=mykwikcoupe]well if i was to use the gm 3 bar and uberdata would i even still need the afc? You make it sound like the copper gasket gasket and the o rings didnt work out for you rob. It was a crappy job but didnt you have it done on your engine. Oh speaking of which im in the market for a spare head wanna donate?[QUOTE]

Well the problem is they have to cut uniform slots on your block and make a custom set of o-rings from scratch. From what i have read your supposed to run the opposite material so they should have used steel o-rings but they used copper. My problem was they were not seated properly so it defeated the purpose of the o-rings which you need to run the copper gasket.

As for the head i have one but im not really willing to part with it unless the price was right. I want to buy another complete swap in the summer since im on my spare block now and dont have a back up.