PDA

View Full Version : headlights stall engine

88LX-i blacknlow
11-07-2004, 05:16 AM
recently I was given an 88/89 Integra LS.
I think its got the d20a8/9? I think...
ok, here's the fun part:
it sat for 3 years, threw the battery from my accord in it (690 cca).
started it after prob 4 sec of cranking.
put my intake on it.
reset ecu.
ran it out for at least 30 minutes.
everythings ok...or at least i'd liked to think that. well just to cheack the systems out, i hit the turns, the brakes, then the headlights...
well when you turn on the headlights the engine just kinda fuhhhhhhh's, doesn't matter what the rev level is at it, just fuhhhhhhhhs (i added the K a few times just for good venting of self pressures).
i hope this hasn't been covered too often, and i'm digging for clams in a landfill. hope someone might know.
i didn't check any ecu codes yet, but that might happen today. :uh:

TheSummoner101
11-19-2004, 07:56 AM
maybe not getting enough juice once u switch the lights on, my car did that when my alt and battery went out driving, the car wouldn't go above 2k rpm's and the engine wanted to stall on me......bad battery? wires shorting out :dunno: sorry.

88LX-i blacknlow
11-29-2004, 03:45 AM
i need to revise my post...
1. its a d16a*.
2. it was stolen/borrowed by some dorks for a year, that "re-did" some wiring (upon closer inspection it looks to be ok).
3. checked ECU: no return codes.
4. someone said something about O2 sensor might be bad...but how would that effect a voltage drain???
5. knowing a brand new battery, full charge will run an automotive system for at least a good 15 minutes, if the alternator is even bad.
I AM STILL SCRATCHING MY HEAD...i have found no voltage drops, no vacuum leaks, no bad hoses, PCV is ok...
6. it is fuel injected, and injectors are ok...

this might not be "simple" but could the ECU have taken a large dump, just got me wondering...seems like when things are impossible, its the darn computer...if anyone has had a simliar problem HELP!!!!!!! free car = happy camper. free piece of $%^* = yen pit

Oldblueaccord
11-30-2004, 12:44 PM
Sounds like some wiring is messed up.

How did you check for voltage drops? You have a meter?

battery at rest should be about 12.7 volts fully charged. running about 14v.
If the alt. not charging and you turn on all that stuff maybe just maybe the voltage is so low the car cant run meaning make spark. Also if its FI the fuel pump needs full voltage as well.

89T
12-23-2004, 05:37 AM
if it's killing the motor when the head lights turn on, check the alt. If your lights are pulling too much current and your alt. is bad it will kill the motor.

A meter can tell you if you are running good voltage but it cant do a load test...
meaning you can have voltage but not the amprage.

hope this helps..

snoopyloopy
12-29-2004, 10:07 PM
i think my alternator is having problems and so i'll prob. replace it, but do 4G alts. fit our cars?

kji420
02-01-2006, 01:12 AM
Check your ground wire. actually, try adding another ground wire direct from your neg. terminal to the neerist valve cover bolt or the block. i was having the same problem and it turned out to be just a bad ground connection.

Deadhead
02-01-2006, 10:38 AM
ok, kji420... this thread is over 2 years old, i would hope that he either A) has fixed the problem or B) junked the car by now.

Old threads shouldn't be brought back to life w/o reason.

and starting 2 threads about grounds... don't do that either.