PDA

View Full Version : Runnin Cold? Wonder Whats Up

HondaBoy
11-07-2004, 10:46 AM
ok, this week its been kinda cool lately. mind you its usually in the mid 80's and 90's here where i live. this week its been cooler. its in the 70's during the day and 50's at night. ok here's the thing, friday i noticed that my car was not getting hot. the temp gauge's needle would stay about at the bottom hatch mark on the gauge. i checked and its not overheating and its working right. before this has happened and the thermostat went out. the radiator was hot so i knew coolant was going through it. this cool spell would happen only when i was driving in the cold air. i came home and parked it in my back yard and it the temp gauge showed it was getting warmer. not much wind will get into the back yard so i guess that could be the cause of it getting cold while driving. the fans are working correctly. anyway, as way of warming up from a cold start, it does it the same. it'll fast idle the same amount of time still so i dunno. could it be the the new thremostat i put in is broken? its a Motorad fail safe one. also i had flushed and changed the coolant a few weeks ago and it had already been running a little bit cooler. its not causing a problem, but i'm just wondering what might be causeing that.

86lxihatchback
11-07-2004, 11:01 AM
did you bleed the air out of the system?

HondaBoy
11-07-2004, 06:19 PM
oh yeah, i bled it. but even then there can still be air in there somewhere. i did turn the heater on. maybe there was a bit of air in the heater? i was going to try bleeding it again. i drove it today and it was running well. i know it wasnt overheating. i mean i can really tell when it is because it would get a knocking sound and start bogging. anyway, i think just to be on the safe side i'll check and bleed it once more. i warmed up today but still was supposedly running cool.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
11-07-2004, 06:26 PM
Did you get an OEM temperature thermostat? Some thermostats have a higher or lower opening temperature which affects the temperature of the engine.

HondaBoy
11-07-2004, 09:51 PM
i thought of that too. im pretty sure it was a 180 degree 'stat. its the fail safe one. anyway, if it is broken in open position, i think i can still take it back. they asked for my info if i needed to take it back.

HondaBoy
12-22-2004, 09:44 PM
ok, well my car is still running cold. and its not that the temp gauge is giving me a false reading either. since its been cold outside, i've been using my heater lately. now, during the day when its warmer it'll warm up some, but not as hot as it used to. ok, i noticed tonight that it seemed like it took forever to get hot air from the heater. i suppose this might be alright for the engine to run cooler, but it seems odd to me. last time i put fluid in my radiator, i used more coolant than water. maybe thats it? runs good though, nice and smooth, no knocking.

Oldblueaccord
12-22-2004, 10:24 PM
ok, well my car is still running cold. and its not that the temp gauge is giving me a false reading either. since its been cold outside, i've been using my heater lately. now, during the day when its warmer it'll warm up some, but not as hot as it used to. ok, i noticed tonight that it seemed like it took forever to get hot air from the heater. i suppose this might be alright for the engine to run cooler, but it seems odd to me. last time i put fluid in my radiator, i used more coolant than water. maybe thats it? runs good though, nice and smooth, no knocking.

Prolly gonna haveto put a t-stat in it. In a jiffy you can run a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator to help it warm up if it gets real cold out your way.

Make sure the level is up to low water wont get you any heat either.

wp

3gn86lxi
12-22-2004, 11:18 PM
Shit....... I'm still laughing bout "cold temps lately" It's only in the 40's here in the daytime right now!!!
Maybe you got a bad 'stat, if it's running fine and fluids are up to par, I would try another 'stat. I like for my car to run a little cooler anyway.....helps for performance, not for milage though.
btw.....we are going to get snow on Sunday, talk bout being cold!!! :alc:

HondaBoy
12-22-2004, 11:25 PM
i dont know i'm probley going to take a look at the 'stat, i replaced it less than 2 months ago. i still have the receipt, so that shouldnt be a problem. its a fail safe too. at least the car runs nice.

NashvilleLX-i
12-24-2004, 03:57 PM
ok so does the engine feel like it is gettin warm but not showing you the right temp or does it actually seem like it is running cold?. check the egr valve i was readin the manual for fun (girlfriend was xmas shoppin for me) and the egr system is what helps heat up the engine faster. so i would check the egr valve and the entire egr system is the egr pipe still have the temperature wrap on it. and to check the egr valve you are suppose to push on it underneath when the engine is cold if it moves freely your fine but if it takes work your might want to clean it. but i dunno check with your manual this might have to do with it but its just a guess. possibly clogged egr system?

shepherd79
12-27-2004, 05:46 AM
it is the thermostat. replace the thermostat your problem should be solved.

HondaBoy
12-27-2004, 10:44 PM
i may do that sometime this week and see if that's completely it. i'll do the old trick of boiling the thermostat 1st though. i know i have the receipt for it somewhere, hope i can find it. should be on my dresser under a bunch of stuff.