PDA

View Full Version : Again, PCV valve is pissin me off!

HondaBoy
11-07-2004, 10:09 PM
ok, now y'all have told me about the troubles you've had with changing your PCV valve on the manifold top. of how it could break apart and fall into the baffle thing and down into the oil pan. thats what is stopping me from changing mine out. and now i'm pretty sure mine is clogged. i had changed my oil pan gasket 2 times and still it'd leak some oil. today i thought i'd take a quick look to see where it was really comming from. well i knew damn well the gasket couldnt have messed up twice because i did it right both times. anyway, the vent hose on the oil pan is seeping oil. guess the pressure is pushing the oil out. i know thats not good, it can cause other oil leaks and head gasket damage. i have the PCV valve sittin right here. now, should i just go for it and be really careful to get all the old PCV valve out? i'm worrie it'll mess something up like the oil pump if it breaks up and falls down. anyone have some tips to taking the valve out of the manifold without the thing breaking apart? i really dont want anything to happen to the engine right now. or ever, but still right now wouldnt be a good time to "fubar" the engine.

X-Rated
11-07-2004, 11:06 PM
had tht prob....but i changed it...just dont break it off...
i pryed it off didnt even think if whats to happen if it broke...

Dutchboy
11-07-2004, 11:31 PM
you can buy a new little rubber gromet that the pcv calve sits into so just take some pliers and pull the pcv valve out.! even if some stuff fell down in the oil pan it wouldnt be able to get passed the oil pump screen and if it did then the oil pump would mulch it up and the oil filter would catch it! So dont worry about it .. just go for it... the line that leaks off the oul pan...just take the old original clamps off or move them off the hose and put hose clamps on..thats what i had to do to stop it leaking after replacing my oil pan gasket

A20A1
11-08-2004, 02:14 PM
You can find rubber hoses to adapt to the box and then adapt the pcv filter to the hose... it saves you from hastling with the dried out plastic... I forget what size the fitting on the oil seperator was.

Oh I had to dremel the holein the manifold for the PCV wider.

HondaBoy
11-08-2004, 09:06 PM
i think i may replace those funky bullshit clamps that are on the oil pan breather hose thing. its a new hose, i replaced it when i did the oil pan last time. anyway, i really think i should quit putting this off. it may end up doing something bad if i dont get the valve replaced. guess i'll have to make time during this week to fix that. it gets dark earlier now after i get off of work. i dunno, i guess i should give this a try before i leak out more and more oil! i think i need a pressure washer for my driveway. it's got oil spots where i've parked. maybe i should use some of that orange cleaner spray to degrease my engine, i think its Greased Lightning brand. i have that Gunk engine cleaner but i dont know how the hoses would take to that.

POS carb
11-09-2004, 01:33 PM
i doubt it'll break if anything you should be careful for it is the hose that goes from the intake manifold/pcv valve to the top of the chamber (the black box under the manifold) it is a special tapered hose and it costs like $30 from Honda. My motor is oooooooold and it's never broken up like that

HondaBoy
11-09-2004, 03:53 PM
yeah, those hose cost me about $32, that sounds about right. maybe that was something else, but i know it was some rediculous price. should i spray the PCV valve with some penetrating oil or something? in someone elses thread they had said that's what they did to make it come out easier. although i dont know if that would be good for that area. i hope i got the right valve, i got a Fram. its metal not plastic. they said it was the correct one for the carb engine.

HondaBoy
11-09-2004, 04:48 PM
ok, i got this bastard out. it was a real bitch to pull out! had to use my large Vise grips. after a bit i did manage to pull it out intact. its made of metal, guess there's a gasket around it or something. any thing i should do now? like clean up the opening or something? i dunno, that thing was clogged up it looked like.

Strugglebucket
11-09-2004, 06:08 PM
if you can, take out the breather box and spray it out with some cleaner. it unbolts from the engine block but might be hard to get to with the manifold still on.

HondaBoy
11-09-2004, 09:10 PM
yeah, that manifold is in the way of everything! now i've done everything i can think of except change the oil filter base's gasket. that'll be something that is gonna be a bit more difficult to get to i guess. i looked at it and its quite possible that is what is leaking. ah, well at least it runs good. i'd like to see what the oil filter base actually looks like. i can kinda see it. looks small. i only saw 2 bolts, i'd think there's more than that. i dunno. but yeah, i got new PCV valve in and put 2 new hose clamps on the oil pan breather tube. i think that bitch is still leaking, so that's why i think its the filter base. i looked for oil on the head but there's none there dripping down from the top or anything like that. i looked with a mirror and it looked like there's some oil around the filter base. i'll see how much a new gasket is and i guess y'all will tell me how hard its gonna be to replace is. by the way, is there any other oil lines or such things on the back of the engine? it would have to be directly above the oil breather hose on the pan.

A20A1
11-09-2004, 09:17 PM
Check out this thread for pics
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=12361

POS carb
11-09-2004, 09:30 PM
buy a new valve at an auto part, the generic one will work fine it's like a $5 part, they usually have them by the oil and fuel filters. Only important thing is to get the same size "fitting"

HondaBoy
11-09-2004, 09:36 PM
thanks, thats just what i needed. i dont think i saw that when i searched for it. anyway, three 10mm bolts and the pressure sensor thing on top. ok, it'll be in the range of $3-$7 for the gasket. i might as well get new bolts too eh? i'll probley order that tomorrow or something. it really sucks because the oil leaks right onto the down pipe and smokes like Cheech and Chong! lol. ok, maybe not that bad but it looks ghetto as i've said before. another thing, it'll leak worse in cold weather than hot. and after i've drove it around for a while it wont leak. so it must be a bad gasket. its worth a try right? i really do hate working on the under side of the car though. i'd take working on the top half any day. i know there's more people than me with this problem at the moment. this is a tricky thing to chase down the exact cause of an oil leak.

HondaBoy
11-10-2004, 05:46 PM
ok, check this out. i went to order that oil filter base gasket/seal. whatever. anyway, they actually had 2 in stock. lucky me i guess. either that or this is the same for a few more engines than the A20. ok, so that i will try fixing when i get a chance. just knowing i have it makes me feel a bit better. it was a bit over $8. i thought that was a little too much, but hey at least it'll fit without trouble. or at least its supposed to when its a Honda part. ok, here's some pix of my PCV valve. it looks pretty nasty! oh, theres a pic of the new seal.
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_img_a/347392_338_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_img_a/347392_339_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_img_a/347392_340_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_img_a/347392_341_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_img_a/347392_342_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_img_a/347392_343_full.jpg

superdesi
11-19-2004, 03:03 PM
Since the weather was real nice in New York today, I decided to change my PCV valve today. It took me a while to find it. On some sites it says to look for a U-shaped hose down behind the oil filler cap. However, after undoing about 4 wrong hoses, I finally found it. It was a bitch to take out, and I wished I had some long slender pliers. After busting up my knuckles a bit, I finally pulled it out. It did not look as gunky as HondaBoy's but it was definately clogged and did not rattle when I shook it. I don't know if it was the original one installed at the factory (it had the words PACIFIC etched onto it). I replaced it with a Puralator one ($2.99). Now hopefully my 156K engine can breathe better :)