PDA

View Full Version : Blue L.E.D. dash illumination.

RCracer
07-29-2002, 02:46 AM
I have just got my new headunit (Alpine CDA-7894RB) and that illuminates blue.
I decided that I am going to convert all my dash illumination (including heater controls) to be illuminated by blue leds.
I have a trade account with a local electronic wholesale company but they still want £3+ ($4.5) each for blue super bright LED's(3000mcd).
Blue and white are both the same price yet the red,green and yellow are all 1/10th of the price and are 30p (45c) each.
Are they a simular price in the US or are they cheaper?
I know they sell them on e-bay and yes they go for even stupider money.
Anyone got any ideas where I can get them from cheap?

I am going to get some spare bulb holders and modify them to take the LED and the dropper resistor so they are easy to fit etc and the 3 bulbs that light the front of the speedo/revcounter I was going to use white and blacklight LEDS and paint the needles with U/V paint so they glow!!

Paul Aerodeck86
07-29-2002, 06:34 AM
Paul, good idea... I'm working on it now too. Also i want install ultra-white LED on my corners and ultra-red to tails... In Moscow LEDs (domestic/import) cost about $0.3-$2. Ultra-white led cost $5.

bobafett
07-29-2002, 08:09 AM
well i am not sure about the 3000mcd ratings.. but i know white and blue LEDS cost about that much more than the boring red/green/orange ones...

so i guess youre not getting burned too too bad..

MiGeY
07-29-2002, 10:17 AM
I'm almost possitive that the blue and white LEDs are made differenetly and cost more to make. that is why they cost so much to buy.

RCracer
07-29-2002, 01:21 PM
They have to use differant chemicals in the manufacture of blue and white and that is the reason for the inflated price. Or at least that is what they tell me. I thought it may have been that we are 6 months behind the rest of the world in the UK with pricing of electronics etc. :-)

Paul Aerodeck86 have you worked out where you are going to mount the LED's?

I am planning to try and mount them in the bulb holders but I think they may need something over them to dissipate and spread the light evenly.
I am getting the LED's later this week when I send my next order.
:smokin:

HostileJava
07-30-2002, 05:17 AM
Where did you spot blacklight LED's? I've never seen them.

RCracer
07-30-2002, 07:04 AM
They sell blacklight leds on ebay (in some sort of u/v pen iluminator) and electronics supply companies (the bigger ones) sell them but they are very expensive. Most of the blacklight leds are made in the US.

One of the local LED makers has got back to me and it turns out that the brighter the led the less its veiwable angle. They recon that a less bright led will disipate its light more evenly and would not have as many "BRIGHT SPOTS" as it can be veiwed over a much larger angle so the light has more spread.
I am getting some samples and will keep you posted.

Paul

smufguy
07-30-2002, 04:01 PM
i have been to india for a month and came across white LEDs basically they are connected to a resistor for operation under 12V since they are rated for 3V. They are friggin cheap when u convert to US dollars. They are just awsome. Will get u guys a pic of the led when i am done soldering them or putting em on my car. not too ricy i promise