PDA

View Full Version : adjusted valves but have a problem...

ehulst
11-08-2004, 05:36 PM
I've had this tapping sound coming from the engine and i kno its my lifters.....so i adjusted them...bring the car to top dead center....and tightend the valves down......well now my car wont start.........so i pulled my valve cover went back to the valves(top dead center)....i was noticeing with one of my exhaust valves, that it didn't have any play what so ever when it was lose....i could bring the nut and screw out and i still could not move my lifter.....same thing happend with two of my intake valves.....and they are not the same cyl. what could this problem be? Would this have an effect with starting..cause at the moment..the car wont start.....i checked for vacuum leaks and i didn't have any....

86lxihatchback
11-08-2004, 05:59 PM
You have done this before right? Or did you tighten them all at tdc?

ehulst
11-08-2004, 06:01 PM
i forgot to TDC all the cyl.....yeah i just TDC my valves @ all at one TDC....how hard is it gonna be to correct this problem?

86lxihatchback
11-08-2004, 06:08 PM
OH boy sounds like fun I'm not sure maybe loosen them all up and start with the first cylinder, then from there. Did you use a feeler gauge for the clearances?

A20A1
11-08-2004, 06:39 PM
OMG, you could have fukd things up bad.

you need to set the TDC for that 1 specific cylinder... if you do the other 3 cylinders off of the same TDC then you could mess up your valve train.

do not run the car... do not spin the crank.

Loosen all the rocker nuts and do it right. set the first TDC the most visable TDC that is on the cam gear it is marked by the word "UP"... set the cyliders vavles that are associated with it.

then rotate the crank to get to the next cyliders TDC usually marked by a indented line on the right or left half of the cam gear, using the cam gear for allignment.
set the valves for that cylinder

then rotate the crank again setting the next TDC using the cam gear. this time there will be no up or indented mark... you'll have to line up both indented marks on the cam gear so that they run parallel to the surface of the head. The surface being the rim that the valve cover rests on.

lastly you'll use the last of the unused indented marks on the cam geare to set the last 3 valves for the last cylinder.

I didn't put up cylinder numbers cause i forgot them off hand.

SteveDX89
11-08-2004, 06:44 PM
The order is 1-3-4-2.

A20A1
11-08-2004, 07:03 PM
I would take pics of the process, and the different cam positions but It's dark and I gotta go to class... If you wait like 6 hours I'll probably have something up by then.

A20A1
11-08-2004, 11:22 PM
As promised:

HOW-TO ADJUST YOUR VALVES (http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=39319)

1987HondaAccord
11-09-2004, 02:18 AM
that's a cool how-to. thanks

ehulst
11-09-2004, 03:23 PM
yeah i fixed the problem.......BUT.......i'm hearing a tapping noise thats seems like its coming from below my intake manifold.....i'm gessing rod knocking....cause its somewhat loud and i can hear it from the inside of the car.....or its something to do with one of my valves in cyl 3

A20A1
11-09-2004, 08:59 PM
As promised:

HOW-TO ADJUST YOUR VALVES (http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=39319)

I updated it with more pics.

I gotta change my oil

keruhas184
11-09-2004, 11:16 PM
Wow Mike, you're a "FAQ/How-To" producing machine! Very well done, now hopefully nobody will screw up when doing their cam/valve clearances. :)

A20A1
11-09-2004, 11:20 PM
Wow Mike, you're a "FAQ/How-To" producing machine! Very well done, now hopefully nobody will screw up when doing their cam/valve clearances. :)

Yup, thats the plan...

Thanks

PS: I was flipping thru images of the cam gear in my digital camera and it made a nice animation of the cam gear spinning... :D

FoX
11-10-2004, 12:00 PM
Yeah i have a problem with my valves as well. I went out and adjusted all my valves. they are all in spec according to the shop manual. and the motor runs fine, its just near cylinder 2 and 3 don't know which on the exaust side i have this sound that sort of sounds like to hard wood sticks being hit together on every stroke. i think it is the valve hitting its seat really hard but not sure.. any ideas? by the way this is a BT motor out of a Prelude 2.0 SI. Had to replace my a20 about a week back because it threw all 4 rods.

ehulst
11-10-2004, 03:05 PM
yeah i greatly apreciate the help on your part mike........I'm in a jam tho.....i'm just woundering if i got a rod knocking....which wouldn't be good cause i cant afford to waste time on ripping my motor out nor do i got the money or tools to do it....like i said its a TAP that i can hear inside the car......and when i put my ear down its sounding like Cyl 3..its practly below the intake manifold it sounds......

Immeraufdemhund
11-10-2004, 03:10 PM
our engines are kinda loud as is, or is it an obvious noise that you have not heard before. what does your compression look like? what did you set your valves to? is your timing on?

ehulst
11-10-2004, 03:17 PM
my valves are set, they are to spec.....i don't have a timing light so i can adjust anything....and nor do i have a compression reader.....and this might just be a stock sound but i have not herd it before that i can remember......is there a way i can adjust my timing w/out a light?

Immeraufdemhund
11-10-2004, 05:37 PM
i once did it on a uphill. it's kinda difficult though doing it by ear. you have to really really know your car and the way it sounds. ummm..i'd ask some of your buddies and see if they have a timing light. When i worked at advance auto parts we had a timing light just laying around. They wont time it for you but if you keep a 10mm on a 3" extension for the 1/4" drive you can change it in the parking lot....compression readers are a little spendy, but if you work on peoples cars it is almost a must. I've heard of some people drilling out a sparkplug putting a 1 way valve with a pressure guage. i wouldn't try it though probably wouldn't be very accurate if it's if it leaks.

ehulst
11-10-2004, 06:59 PM
well i mean...if i didn't have a timing light..moving that bolt...like 2cm...just curious....but i'm still puzzlled on that sound.....

Immeraufdemhund
11-10-2004, 07:15 PM
find another person who has a accord 86-89 dx or lx and listen to his car. if it sounds the same... GOOD DEAL! if not...hmmm have it checked out.

ehulst
11-10-2004, 08:50 PM
i've had my experiences with macanics.....i'll never go to them again....ever.....i'm gonna check it out in the morning...see what i can scuff up....

HondaBoy
11-12-2004, 11:39 AM
that sound you speak of, i'd bet it isnt your rods at all. i have a sound that everyone i asked thought it was the valves or something. it wasnt. what makes the ticking or tapping sound on my engine is the air suction valve on the front of the manifold. those will do that after a while and its not uncommon. the thing that's #2 is usually the problem.
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/catimgs/13SE00_D10.gif

Dr._8t9LX
11-12-2004, 11:46 AM
Yep, got that same knock in #2. Real annoing untell it warms up.

Immeraufdemhund
11-12-2004, 07:07 PM
i took that off.

accordlxi2.0
11-13-2004, 07:17 AM
i wanna take mines off....
a20a1 said right now it's acting like a egr valve....not good, even if it was'nt bad on the engine.

A20A1
11-13-2004, 11:24 AM
cause you said yours is pushing out gasses instead of creating vacuum.

Mike's89AccordLX
11-13-2004, 12:19 PM
Heheheh you don't like macanics ehulst... Well why dont you try a mechanic? I'm graduating this year and well if you don't like mechanics and can't do any work yourself I guess your just SOL my friend. Not all of us are out to rip you off just remember that.

I've got a job set up with Honda and once I graduate I will have to goto Chicago for awhile to goto the honda technicians training program. (I wish they would do it online or something I don't want to live in chicago...)

Mike's89AccordLX
11-13-2004, 12:23 PM
Oh and Hondaboy I think your wrong about the egr being the problem. My accord has none of that stuff pictured NONE :) and mine still has the ticking and my valves are all adjusted properly. My 94 prelude has the same sound it seems to be just a honda thing.

FoX
11-13-2004, 05:40 PM
Same here, I have an LXI so it couldn't possibly be that valve. Mine Ticks just below the head on top of cylinder #2 & #3. I am just hoping its just a valve seating really hard.

HondaBoy
11-13-2004, 06:50 PM
#2 in the first picture i posted isnt the EGR valve. #9 in this picture below is. this applies for the carburated manifold.
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/catimgs/13SE00_D09.gif

honda's with valves that have a tick can often times be fixed by replacing the valve rockers. but its not really uncommon for that. i've noticed they arent as loud like the Air suction valve is that i was talking about in my 1st post.

Mike's89AccordLX
11-13-2004, 07:20 PM
Whoops I guess I might need glasses :)

Justin86
11-13-2004, 08:20 PM
omg dude...... yea you might what to do a compression check, that taping might be your valves not seating proper......

Mike's89AccordLX
11-13-2004, 08:25 PM
I tested the accord's compression last year and it had it had 115lbs, 118lbs, 115lbs, and 120lbs. So that's pretty decent for an older motor. Can't remember what the blow-by results were though. I know it wasnt bad though it was quite low.

accordlxi2.0
11-20-2004, 04:41 PM
cause you said yours is pushing out gasses instead of creating vacuum.

sorry don't mean to take over since this does have something to do with the valve

yea.. and i found another line attached to it. dissconnect it and it's still doing it.
in all of the holes is'nt this bad on the engine??

POS carb
11-23-2004, 08:13 AM
do yourself a favor, get an 88-89 LXi manifold and downpipe, you'll have a 4-2-1 design and you can get rid of the air suction system (black box w/ fat aluminum pipe)

as for ticking all I can suggest is readjust the valves to a tighter clearance, it should go away once the engine is warmed up, normal ticking occurs when the engine is cold and the valvetrain hasn't expanded completely

ehulst
11-23-2004, 08:24 AM
yeah it so much more quiet.......my valves were WAY off so they were def hittin the piston......i still kinda hear it but not as bad as it was before.......but i've got 3 projects i'm dealing with before tommrow.....brake cylinder/ trunk rust hole / one my belts is being a lil bitch and complaing bout ssomething so i gotta figure that one out..i think my power steering belt is too tight i'm gonna adjust that...but thanks A20A1 and the rest for those ideas and for the How to it made it alot more easier.......

andrewbrooker253
08-21-2015, 11:40 PM
I have a 1986 Accord 2.0 liter carbureted My egr valve is also making a loud tapping / clicking sound when I unplugged the vacuum line from the vacuum pot it stops, is there a way to make it stop clicking while the vacuum line is still functioning like if it is functioning correctly And the vacuum line is connected is there a way to make it or not click or tap like it does