PDA

View Full Version : How to change an alternator...

mossimo817
11-08-2004, 06:49 PM
Hey fellas...I need to change my alternator on my 88 Accord...is it pretty easy? What about the serpentine belt, is that hard to put on? I take it that I will need to change that to huh? Can anyone give me a step by step procedure on how to do that and what thing's I'm gonna need...thanks guys!!! :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

mossimo817
11-08-2004, 06:56 PM
Just to make sure I really need to change the alternator let me as you guys this...my batter light has been on the past week or so. I changed the battery and it's still on...at times the car won't start unless I put it in neutral, the belt squeels a lot, the interior lights get dim and the radio volume goes off when I'm stopped at a light...what does it look like to you guys? I was planning on just getting a new alternator but if it's something more simple than that I'll do it...let me know guys...thanks!!!

pendejo
11-08-2004, 07:00 PM
Sounds like my car. Check the belt tension before anything. There is an adjuster nut on the back of the alternator bracket. You'll see what I'm talking about. Tighten it up a little and see what happens.

mossimo817
11-08-2004, 07:09 PM
Do I need to use a crow bar or anything to put more tension on the belt and then tighten the bolt?

maka_RTH
11-08-2004, 07:30 PM
no, you just tighten and the adjusting bolt and it tightens the alt. if it weren't dark id take a pic and show you what i mean, but yah

maka_RTH
11-08-2004, 07:33 PM
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=Accord&catcgry2=1989&catcgry3=4DR+LXI&catcgry4=KA5MT&catcgry5=ALTERNATOR+BRACKET
in the pic there, #4 is what adjusts the alt, and by tightening and loosening #19 it'll tighten and loosen the tension on the belt.

Andrew
11-08-2004, 07:35 PM
I just tightened my belt tonight...hope you have small freaking hands! I had to loosen the air box cover and slide it over a bit and remove a couple of brackets from the firewall just to get my freaking hand in there!

mossimo817
11-08-2004, 07:45 PM
Thanks!!! I'll try it tomorrow when it's bright out and not 35 degrees... :sad2:

Immeraufdemhund
11-08-2004, 07:56 PM
what do you have FI or carbed? If you have carbed your going to have fun getting it out, but it can be done in about 30mins. FI takes about 10 min to get it out. the How to gives a good explination. or just do a search for "altinator"

maka_RTH
11-08-2004, 08:43 PM
yah, if you do need to remove it, i know with FI all you gotta do is remove the stock airbox off the back of the intake manifold and whatnot, then you can just pull the alt right up and out the top. i don't know that you can do that with carbed though...

mossimo817
11-09-2004, 05:49 AM
Well I just tried to tighten the nut and it wouldn't start...the engine would turn but it wouldn't stay on...I even tried to start it in neutral and it finally started but the battery light was still on. I decided to loosen it up but the battery light was still on and I had to start it in neutral again...any suggestions? Why does this thing have to be in neutral to start? BTW it's Fuel Injected...thanks!

POS carb
11-09-2004, 08:07 AM
if the car turns off/wants to die and dims while you stop you usually have a bad battery... if it is a new battery then it's a dead alternator or it's not tight enough on the belt and not charging.. check the fuse and also that the connector is on the regulator all the way

mossimo817
11-09-2004, 08:44 AM
Well it's a new battery, just got it yesterday. I drove it around the block last night after I put the battery in and the lights don't seem to get dim or anything like that but I still had to start it in neutral. I tried to tighten the nut today for the alternator, at first it wouldn't start, kept turning over but wouldn't stay but then it did...also had to start it in neutral. I decided to loosen the nut a little and it took a few turns but eventuall started. Throughout last night and today the batter light was still on. Now I'm not sure if anything else needs to be tightened, how tight should I turn that nut for the alternator? Where is the connector for the regulator? The alternator is about 7 years old, is that a problem? Any other things that should be checked, please let me know...if ya can...please tell me exactly where and what I should be looking at...be specific since I'm pretty new to this engine thing...thanks!!! :rockon:

POS carb
11-09-2004, 10:55 AM
don't overtighten that nut on top. You tighten only the tensioner at the back (12mm?) oh the connector is on the side of the alternator facing the oil filter (the only other wires going to the alt other than the one on top)

mossimo817
11-09-2004, 11:54 AM
I was tightening #19 on the Illustration from maka_RTH, http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=Accord&catcgry2=1989&catcgry3=4DR+LXI&catcgry4=KA5MT&catcgry5=ALTERNATOR+BRACKET
which is right in front of #4 right? Did I do it wrong...I think I may have overtightened it since the engine turns but doesn't stay on...could that be the problem of having to start the car in neutral...BTW it's an automatic.

maka_RTH
11-09-2004, 12:47 PM
there should be a little bit of play on the belt, but not much though. i know it says in the manuals how much play there should be.., but yah. i usually go by if i can push it a little bit, then it's good. it just needs to be tight on there, but not strectched tight, if you get what i mean.

mossimo817
11-09-2004, 02:26 PM
Well I checked the belt and it doesn't seem tight...not like that other belt in the front...should I make it that tight? Also...I just noticed that the fan does not go on when the car is on...I thought it was supposed to go on when the engine is on? I also checked the wiring and everything seems to be okay...I guess it might be the alternator huh?

mossimo817
11-09-2004, 02:43 PM
I just read on one of the posts that I should start the car, keep it on idle, and then take the positive wire off the battery and the engine should keep running...well it died right away...does that mean it's the alternator or does it mean that the engine would have stopped anyway?? :dunno:

maka_RTH
11-09-2004, 02:50 PM
sounds like your alternator is going bad. another way to test is to get a voltmeter. with the car off you should get about 12.5 volts from the battery. with the car running, you should be up around 13.5-14.5 volts. as a last resort, just pull the alt. out, take it to autozone, and have them test it, and they'll tell ya if it works or not. as for the fan, it should only come on once the car reaches a certain temp, ie. not on when the car is on, only when it is warmed up/hot.

mossimo817
11-09-2004, 05:01 PM
I'll try taking it out this weekend and see what autozone say's...so if it is the alternator, that should take care of the battery light and having to start it in neutral right...thanks for the help guys!!! :rockon: :rockon:

maka_RTH
11-09-2004, 06:02 PM
k, when you say start in neutral.., does it not crank in park? or will it just crank slower and not start? (i'm assuming you're auto since you only start in neutral with a 5spd)

Immeraufdemhund
11-09-2004, 08:53 PM
as for the alt. and getting it out from a FI. loosen the belt and take it off. (sounds like your almost finished with that) then loosen the 12mm bolt on top, then the 14mm on bottom. I usually get underneath with a ratcheting box end (gearwrench) and get it loose. I dont jack up the car unless it's carbed, so you should be good. with the 14mm nut off and the bolt it was on is loose pry the alt towards the firewall, then move the pry bar (i use my wrench) between the bottom alt bracket (just above the oil pan) and the alt and pry it till the alt falls. Disconnect the clippy thingy (green) and then 10mm nut on the top. MAKE SURE YOU ALREADY DISCONNECTED THE BATTERY! THAT WIRE GOES DIRECTLY TO THE BATTERY! if you hit anything grounded...sparks and crap everywere...well sparks, the crap usually stays in one place............. pull it up threw were the air box use to reside.

mossimo817
11-10-2004, 10:29 AM
When it's in park it won't turn at all...nothing happens but when I put it in neutral it starts right away. Is that related to the alternator also? Thanks for the "how to"nt eh alternator Immeraufdemhund! This has all got to do with the alternator right...the dim lights, volume on the stereo stopping...and most of all the damn squeeling on the belts!!!

maka_RTH
11-10-2004, 11:36 AM
it could be a long shot.., but i'd almost think that maybe your contacts on your shifter could be worn and when you're in park it doesnt complete the circuit, so you can't start it cuz the car doesn't think it's in park. i'd've given you my old auto shifter stuff..., but i chucked it all, so yah. to test it though you'd want to get a multimeter, and take off your center console. then, disconnect the connector with two big black/white stripe wires. then, with the car in park, so if you have a complete circuit on the shifter side..., and i doubt that makes sense. i'd take a pic.., but i no longer have the stuff to do that with either...

Michael Cote
11-13-2004, 03:55 PM
Read Immeraufdemhund's directions first but with all do respects it sounds like maybe you'ld better watch somebody else do that job. If you attempt it, there is a washer between the alt and adjustment arm. The washer goes BETWEEN the arm and alt. It's a spacer to line up alt with belt and it's easy to drop/loose. Good Luck, Mike

mossimo817
11-14-2004, 03:41 PM
I did lose the washer...anyway I guess I'll have to get a new one. Anyway, I'm having problems taking the alternator off...I can't seem to take off the bottom bolt that is holding the alternator. If you use the link that maka_RTH put up http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=Accord&catcgry2=1989&catcgry3=4DR+LXI&catcgry4=KA5MT&catcgry5=ALTERNATOR+BRACKET
I can't take off #12. I got the nut of #20 but #12 won't budge. Any suggestions? Am I taking of the wrong bolt? :sad2: :uh:

POS carb
11-15-2004, 08:04 AM
#12 is a square headed bolt that locks itself in the bracket, you need to remove the nut on the outside (#20 which I believe is 14, not 10 mm) use a breaker bar or long pipe on your ratchet if you have to, it'll come lose!

mossimo817
11-15-2004, 09:48 AM
I got the nut off on the outside #20 but I just can't seem to push the bolt #12 off. Is it supposed to just slide out? Is it threaded in there somehow? That's what's stuck...and it is a square head. Should I just try to tap it out with something and how hard is it to get out? i don't have a lot of room there. I should probably get underneath and get it out that way huh?

POS carb
11-15-2004, 11:04 AM
hammer it out and then if it still doesn't come out bang it through with a screwdriver

Immeraufdemhund
11-15-2004, 01:25 PM
it's a bit of a pain to get that sucker out....but do it the american way. BEATITOUT.... that's southern for hit it a few times with a hammer and a punch..or just a hammer. and once you get that bolt out it will still be a "insert colorful metephor here" to get out. cause when you tighten the nut it pushes on a ummm thingy that holds that alt in place.... and because of that thingy it's a "insert colorful metephor" to get out....so HAVE FUN... giter dun