PDA

View Full Version : pgm-fi light blues

sofaking_bob
11-09-2004, 02:00 PM
so i've had my car worked on a few times this month because the freakin pgm light keeps coming on.. messing with my gas mileage and making the engine studder... things of that sort.. but we've replaced the o2 sensor, the cooling system has been redone and now it's flashing that the erg valve is bad.. or something.. code 12 i think. but the local mechanic says that the 86 accord lx-i was the first fuel injected honda in the states and that the computer chip in it is just really stupid.. it will flash things that just aren't right and that it will nickle and dime you to death, but.. when this light comes on.. my car studders when idle and revs up and down if my foot is not on the gas.. so should i have the egr replaced or is my mechanic right?

shepherd79
11-10-2004, 07:07 AM
your mechanic is an Idiot. get a new one mechanic.
if you have code 12, you need to replace or clean the EGR valve. they can get sticky with all that carbon build up. make sure you reset ECU after you replace it.

buds302
11-10-2004, 07:16 AM
Change The Fuel Filter!!!!!!

86LXItooFAST4me
11-10-2004, 07:56 AM
when the light comes on does your RPM jump at idle?

sofaking_bob
11-10-2004, 09:46 AM
when the light comes on does your RPM jump at idle?

yes it does.

86LXItooFAST4me
11-10-2004, 10:45 AM
mine was doing that because of a coolant problem. see your ecu has a primary and secondary program settiing. one is for when your car is warrming up to ideal temp, its basically the default setting i think. the other is the setting your ECU programs itself to. ( thats why you reset your ECU, so it can program itsself to the way the car is running. the other one stays the same for warming up perpuses). so mine was doing that because of the temp sending unit. it wasnt reading any temp on the sensor and threw the ECU all off. it ran fine untill it got warm, then the other setting kicked in and the light turned on and my RPMs jumped. how is your temp when its doing this? i know you redid the coolent sys but whats it reading while the light is on?

sofaking_bob
11-10-2004, 01:22 PM
the temp is normal i think. but i think that the mechanic just didn't know what he was talking about. didn't know to reset the ecu after having worked on it and didn't know what the codes meant. so i'll have the egr replaced and tell them to reset the ecu so that things are fine and dandy. yeah... thanks a bunch.

mag_pbg
11-10-2004, 02:15 PM
Just a suggestion, change it yourself, if you have enough time I mean, it will get you aquinted (sp) with your car, and they aren't to bad to change. To reset your ECU, all you have to do is pull a fuse and or discounect your ground cable I belive.

superdesi
12-06-2004, 09:05 PM
the temp is normal i think. but i think that the mechanic just didn't know what he was talking about. didn't know to reset the ecu after having worked on it and didn't know what the codes meant. so i'll have the egr replaced and tell them to reset the ecu so that things are fine and dandy. yeah... thanks a bunch.

Did you solve your problem? I had your same problem so I thoroughly cleaned out my EGR valve and 1 week later my check engine light is back showing code 12 again. When the light comes on, it idles at 1500 RPM. Not good.

Low Tek
03-10-2005, 12:29 AM
hatchback_racer is havingthe same deal

sofaking_bob
03-10-2005, 03:16 PM
Did you solve your problem? I had your same problem so I thoroughly cleaned out my EGR valve and 1 week later my check engine light is back showing code 12 again. When the light comes on, it idles at 1500 RPM. Not good.

i haven't sloved my problem yet, but i'm probably going to be replacing the engine soon. which would slove it.. or at east i hope so. i think code 12 was like the oxy sensor or something like that. but my car is stationary right now clutch is messed up and the engine is leaking.

superdesi
03-10-2005, 03:19 PM
i haven't sloved my problem yet, but i'm probably going to be replacing the engine soon. which would slove it.. or at east i hope so. i think code 12 was like the oxy sensor or something like that. but my car is stationary right now clutch is messed up and the engine is leaking.

An engine rebuild would definately somewhat help the problem. As far as my 3rd Gen, I donated it to my mother's friend the beginning of this year. I just did not want to deal with the hassle, time, energy and money anymore.