PDA

View Full Version : powdercoating

buds302
11-10-2004, 10:43 AM
im fixin to buy a powdercoating gun. im gonna try it out on a little piece of metal bfore i do my valve cover. ill post pics when i get it. then maybe ill do some powdercoating cheap. like 40 bucks or something i dont know yet depends on the part size and what color you want.
hit me back if your interested :rockon:

Mattphi
11-10-2004, 09:57 PM
sweet, good luck

RobT5580
11-11-2004, 06:27 AM
If you dont have a gun yet eastwood is a good company for price and they ship fast. The worst part about powdercoating is the item has to be bare metal (sandblasting is the best method) or else it wont take the powder well. Also the baking process is the most important part because you need it to be controlled but you can't use your home oven because of the fumes and such. But overall hands down its the best and most durable finish when done right. However brake clean and im told things like simple green will mess up the finish and trying to strip powdercoating is a joke. And lay a good coat of powder on. Hope this helps and good luck!

Immeraufdemhund
11-11-2004, 06:49 AM
what we did was first we sand blasted it with glass. Air hosed it, then cleaned it with acetone. Make sure there is not a remote part of greese before you sand blast it cause it will gum up the blaster bad. Set oven to 400 BOIL add a SUPER THICK coat of base color...CAREFULLY put it in the middle of the oven. Let it bake for 10-15 min or untill its almost completly melted take her out (it's hoT!!!yes i know from experiance) put on an iredescant color or another color... (if your not going to add another color just add the same color one more time and let it bake on good) we usually had 2 out side coats-last color to be added to it. I dont think it's super important to have 2 out side coats we just felt it made sure that there was no thin spots. let it cool in a DUST free area. Once it's cool to touch it's ready to go. if you get it down just right with the clear or iredescant it should look like it's still wet....but that's what we did, developing your own method and technique is important.

buds302
11-11-2004, 05:48 PM
im plannin to buy the eastwood setup. and it says you can use a toaster oven? i dont know if a toaster oven is gonna cut it but ill try it out with a small piece of flat stock before i do any engine parts. hey if i use a household oven( i have an electric one) will it stink up the house or will it be ok.another question if i want to powder it like blue will it come out finished lookin like a spray paint job or will i have to do a clear coat afterwards? one more thing, any body know what the difference is between mirror colors and standard colors. does the mirror have a higher gloss? damn forgot to add this one! after its completly done can i redo it without strippin it off or is that it? you know like if i want a different color or i fu*ck it up?

Burban88
11-14-2004, 03:33 PM
I have the Eastwood gun w/ a bunch of high tech colors. I also have a sand blaster. I need to buy an oven, but the one I want is $12,000. Believe me everyone wants stuff powder coated I probably could pay for an oven for as many people that want stuff done. Mirror colors require clear. Don't bake in the house either.

RobT5580
11-18-2004, 06:51 AM
im plannin to buy the eastwood setup. and it says you can use a toaster oven? i dont know if a toaster oven is gonna cut it but ill try it out with a small piece of flat stock before i do any engine parts. hey if i use a household oven( i have an electric one) will it stink up the house or will it be ok.another question if i want to powder it like blue will it come out finished lookin like a spray paint job or will i have to do a clear coat afterwards? one more thing, any body know what the difference is between mirror colors and standard colors. does the mirror have a higher gloss? damn forgot to add this one! after its completly done can i redo it without strippin it off or is that it? you know like if i want a different color or i fu*ck it up?

A toaster oven if fine for small parts that is what i use for small stuff. As for the house oven it will stink up your house and i believe their is health concerns with that. You should wear a respirator or at minimum a dust mask when powdercoating. Also read the label because powder is combustable and you cant vacuum it up etc. And the powder when baked will be smoothe and perfect if your prep work is good and you dont have to use clear. Just keep simple green/brake clean etc away from it because it will mess up the finish and its near impossible to strip powdercoating.

You can scuff it up and try to fix it but if its in the prepwork you cant fix it easily. If you dont cover it well you can do a second coat to cover it all.

nswst8
11-18-2004, 07:35 AM
Grab an old stove set it in the yard or under cover of your garage. Make your own extension cord and your in. Home made powder coating oven.
Good luck.

RobT5580
11-18-2004, 04:50 PM
My friend uses a propane heater which works great so thats an option.

Cheeseburger
11-18-2004, 04:54 PM
^^^
that would work. any how good luck man