PDA

View Full Version : Key stuck in ignition

gundamevo
11-11-2004, 06:34 PM
Hey guys... I have a problem, when its cold out... my key gets stuck in the ignition... well not just stuck, it doesn't turn back to the off, it gets stuck in accessory mode... I can start it an shit, but it doesn't go completely off... I've just been leaving the key in the ignition an shutting the radio off since I have a fuckload of spares... I lock the car of course... if someone wants to steal it, they can fucking have it you know?? anyone got the same prob or know how to help?

accordlxi2.0
11-11-2004, 06:53 PM
umm where do you live and is it an lx-i( i might swing by and take it for a test drive, j/k).

but for real though is it a 88-89 and and auto.
if so , some of them came with a shift lock feature, where you can't your key's out till you put it in gear....

buds302
11-11-2004, 07:02 PM
first off cut down on the language abit huh. ok take all the screws out of the black plastic surrounding your ignition. then remove the plastis. under neath the key part you should see a small screw at the end of the key. take it out and with the key in the on position the entire ignition housing should slide out. do not force it. if it is stuck then hit it with some wd-40. after you get it out you should be able to see whats holdin you up. worst case scenario! new ignition lock. $30 bucks a for new one at any auto parts store. but the key that it comes with wont match your doors. you can fix that to. take your old ignition lock and your new one to a locksmith and have em re pin the new one with your old key. if all this doesnt work then i cant help you and probly no one else on this board can! j/k

gundamevo
11-11-2004, 09:11 PM
Lol thanks guys, yea, its an automatic LX-i... such a fun car, I like doin 60 around corners an swinging the car around, reverse donuts to spin the car around so I can go in the right direction... jus beatin on it b4 I get my new tires and engine mounts hehe... thanks for the suggestion.. I'll try that, and I'll look into the shift lock thing... I'll read through the manual... Its been doin this since forever, like with the past owner too.. only when its cold.... otherwise its fine... so I dunno...like if I leave it in there all day an it gets warm in the car, it comes right out.. I live in pittsfield massachusetts, so its only going to get colder and colder you know... oh ya... another thing... sometimes it gets stuck in park... like I'll put it in park on an uphill incline, an it'll get stuck, even a small incline lol... just happens everyonce in awhile... I usually just beat the shift stick till it comes loose an works again... I also had probs with my moonroof, I got so pissed about freezin cold water comin down on my head that I punched the sunshade up into it an then ripped it in half to get it off because it wouldn't go back in right lol... I cleaned out all the drains which was a pain in the ass but oh well... haha l8r an thanks again

Strugglebucket
11-12-2004, 12:56 AM
if you want you can disable the shift lock. take off the center console cover from around the shifter. there is a wire harness with about a dozen or so wires that plugs into the shifter. find the green w/white stripe wire and the black wire on this harness and splice them together.

ka-plow.

buds302
11-12-2004, 05:18 PM
hey man i had the same prob with my sunroof. oh yea if you open the sunroof all the way you can get the sunshade back in from the top