PDA

View Full Version : Turn off High Idle

billyaccord
11-11-2004, 07:22 PM
My car is idling way to high right now and Its costing a fortune in gas and is really annoying so i was wondering if there was a way i could turn off the high idle like disconnect something on the caberator.
Thanx guys

steven
11-11-2004, 08:15 PM
idle adjustment screw

billyaccord
11-11-2004, 09:06 PM
I dont know if that would work because it will idle normally but after like 30 mins of driving. So i just want to know if theres something i can disconnect that take the high idle you ussually get when the cars cold in the morning.

A20A1
11-12-2004, 12:31 AM
That is cold idle... used to warm up the car and keep it runnig when cold.
Do you have a carburetor or fuel injected engine?
LX DX

or

LX-I

That will help up determin the best way to help you disable the cold idle.

steven
11-12-2004, 09:27 AM
he has carb is says in his post

A20A1
11-12-2004, 12:50 PM
lol, how'd I miss that... must have been asleep. well anyways what you need to do is hook up manifold vacuum to the fast idle unloader bypassing the thermovalve.

joebeets
11-12-2004, 03:00 PM
If you have an automatic, it could be your throttle controller. See my old posts for a workaround.

accordlxi2.0
11-12-2004, 03:26 PM
after 30 mins of driving...
it's your gas cable, they have some slippery stuff to keep it lubed but once it heats up, it turns sticky....

this is one way to tell, once it starts revving real high, then take your foot or hand and pull up on the gas pedal, if the idle goes down.....
thats your problem.

HondaBoy
11-13-2004, 07:01 PM
i really hate my fast/cold idle. my engine runs really cold. like i'll have it warmed up, drive somewhere, park, come out 5-10 mins later and it has to warm up again. mostly in colder weather. but otherwise, from a cold start it'll take about 4-5 mins to warm up and get the idle down to about 1000 rpm. i think it would warm up faster if i fixed the hot air intake valve thing because it doesnt seem to be opening when i've checked a few times recently.

A20A1
11-13-2004, 08:39 PM
after 30 mins of driving...
it's your gas cable, they have some slippery stuff to keep it lubed but once it heats up, it turns sticky....

this is one way to tell, once it starts revving real high, then take your foot or hand and pull up on the gas pedal, if the idle goes down.....
thats your problem.

He said it will idle normal after 30 minuets of driving. :D

I've been mis-reading and missing things in posts too so don't worry.

POS carb
11-15-2004, 08:37 AM
there's an adjustment screw on the throttle bracket it's hard to find. It's a tiny phillips screw, you need to get your head behind the carb and look forward to see it, it should have a little yellow markk on it. Turning the screw out lowers the high idle setting, you can actually lower it enough to where it won't even fast idle anymore but if you go to far it'll pop out and it's a pain in the ass to put back and the bracket can get stuck without it. When you find it turn on the engine and lower the idle to about 1200 or so, that is perfect.