PDA

View Full Version : F22A into a 2nd Gen Accord?

Racing_rush
11-11-2004, 10:35 PM
I am interested to know more about F22A engine swaps? Where would I get some more information about these 4 Gen Accord US spec engines?

I have a 1983 Honda Accord and I was pretty interested in this swap cause this engine makes so much tourque and thats what really matters right. Is there any guys who have 2nd Gen Accords that are on this board?

PhydeauX
11-12-2004, 07:25 AM
There are several of us. You're going to have a lot of "fun" stuffing a f22a engine in there. If you really want to go to that much trouble you might as well put in a h22. You will have to fabricate new mounts, axles, linkages, etc; EVERYTHING is going to have to be custom. There are several old posts on swapping an h22 into a 3g, the same things will apply to a 2g. Your stuck with having the 83 because its the earlier style 2nd gen and the a20 is not bolt in. Your best resources are going to be early 1st and 2nd gen civic sites because their motors mount similar to the EK1 in your car. I'm farily sure that the EK you have is the most powerful motor from its series so no matter what you want to do there is going to be fabrication involved.

andy

shepherd79
11-12-2004, 07:57 AM
IMO, the car is not worth spending money on.
get yourself a better car to work on, and keep this one as a beater.

Ichiban
01-04-2005, 05:12 PM
I am interested to know more about F22A engine swaps? Where would I get some more information about these 4 Gen Accord US spec engines?

I have a 1983 Honda Accord and I was pretty interested in this swap cause this engine makes so much tourque and thats what really matters right. Is there any guys who have 2nd Gen Accords that are on this board?

Hey i have an 83 accord and an 81 accord both hatchbacks and i've been considering stuffing in either the a18 twin carb from the prelude or the a20

HondaBoy
01-04-2005, 05:19 PM
i'd say B20, non US version. F22 is nice, but really isnt practical with all the things that will have to go into it. i dont really remember off hand if the A20 mounts are the same as the engine that's in your 2nd gen, its A18 right? i've seen just an A20 put into a civic that went well. i'd think that would swap easy into the 2nd gen. i still say B20 jdm if your going to go spend any money on that.

is ES2 the engine code? if so, is the A18 and ES2 basically the same. like stuff will interchange on both? havent gotten into the 2nd gen recently, so i dont remember.

PhydeauX
01-05-2005, 01:19 PM
Remember there are 2 diferent motor configurations in the second gens. 83 an earlier had the EK series motors, 84 and later had the ES. The ES shares its mounts with the A18, A20, BT, and BS 2g prelude/3g accord motors. The EK does not. From what I understand it is alot closer to the mounts in the early 1 and 2g civics. I'm not saying that you can't put one of those motors into an 83, but its definitely not a bolt in swap like the later second gens, believe me I have tried both.

andy

Ichiban
01-05-2005, 02:42 PM
my 83 came with the 1602 cc EL engine, prob because it is canadian. to make the A18/ESx fit, reuse the original rear engine mount, and fab up a new front mount using the short rubber block from the prelude. also relocate the alternator and build custom exhaust....yeah it sucks, mine has yet to run but it will.

oddly enough my 81 has similar mounts to the 3gen accord while my 83 has these odd inclined things with tall rubber blocks, kinda like what toyota trucks have.....

i've a feeling the a20 swap into the 81 may be even easier than the 83 for this very reason..

carotman
01-05-2005, 08:39 PM
haaa 81 Accords rocks!

Too bad you're un BC, I would love to see that Accord with an A20A

Ichiban
01-05-2005, 09:20 PM
as soon as its done i'll send pics for sure...i've gotta finish the '83, an 82 3/4 ton chevy, my own 84 3/4t chev, but the 81 accord is in great shape and requires little work.....shyt i need to re+re a tranny in a 6.2L diesel too, forgot about that....hoping to have this crap done by summer.

phrenology
01-13-2005, 01:52 PM
Is there anychance that one of your Accords is LX and one is the regular hatchback? There were some subtle differences besides interior trim luxuries, and in Canada I haven't a clue. I have an old Canadian G2 Accord Dealer brochure. I'm not really sure why you guys had the 1.6 up there and we had the 1.8 Cvcc G2s here. Working on the 81 doesn't seem as practical because technically its a late G1 Accord and your 83 is an Early G2. Save your 81 and do a complete OEM restoration before parts disappear instead of canabalizing it for a swap. It will be worth more money in the near future, G1 Accords will be rare. Phydeaux has done the work and research for most G2 swaps. I'm currently installing a completely rebuilt A20A3 from an 88 Lxi into my 84 Accord hatchback with dual DCOEs. I'm also working on a swap with an A20A1 custom EFI into an 85LX Sedan. You can probably make use of the rear disc brake swap from an 87 Prelude SI as long as you get the G2 Prelude parts. If you need some G2 advice you can count on me. Checkout my cardomain page for ideas.

Lok
01-13-2005, 03:36 PM
You could swap a B series HONDA DOHC VTEC engine on your 2G Accord.
Will need the same work as with F22.
With some fabrication everything is possible:

http://asia.vtec.net/beystock/hybrid/art4/index.html