PDA

View Full Version : AC Removed

nappyroots827
11-12-2004, 11:05 AM
hey, i am doing an efi swap right now and while i was at it, i removed my ac cuz i never used it anyways...Is that gonna make any difference performance wise...Has anyone done this and noticed a difference??

86LXItooFAST4me
11-12-2004, 11:20 AM
it will free up some HP from removing off the crank pully and will lighten your ride a little. its worth it if you never use it.

Strugglebucket
11-12-2004, 09:15 PM
did you take the evaporator out, too? seems like nobody ever bothers to when they remove their ac even though it is easy to take out and weighs more than you think. you just have to replace it with the plastic duct from a dx (and put plugs in the holes in the firewall).

smufguy
11-17-2004, 09:30 AM
Removing the AC compressor saves up weight. As for freeing up some hp, well not true when its not on. its the same when u have the compressor hooked up and not engaged and having no compressor at all. So yeah, take all that shit out if u want to free up some space, I think The whole AC system frees up like 50 to 55lbs. Cause the lines and the condensor dont weigh much, but its just the bracket and the compressor.

did you take the evaporator out, too? seems like nobody ever bothers to when they remove their ac even though it is easy to take out and weighs more than you think. you just have to replace it with the plastic duct from a dx (and put plugs in the holes in the firewall).

well on my car, the AC unit inside the car is gone (except for the plastic box), all the ac lines, the Condensor, Evaporator, and also the compressor along with its bracket is gone. the Evaporator weighs like 8oz dude.

86LXItooFAST4me
11-17-2004, 09:56 AM
Removing the AC compressor saves up weight. As for freeing up some hp, well not true when its not on. its the same when u have the compressor hooked up and not engaged and having no compressor at all....

so your saying there is no drag at all from the crank having to turn a belt that is tightend to a pully? weather it is engaged or not, there is still drag. it maybe a very small amout of drag but its still there. and sometimes those clutches go out and create more drag, especially if it is never used. im just saying it releases stress off the engine. but either way, AC is a HP hog.

and im not bustin your balls man, i just do agree with your disagreement :D
im probly wrong, thats just how i see it. PEACE

smufguy
11-17-2004, 11:03 AM
yeah, there is no restriction on a free spinning pully. WHen the clutch goes out on these, they disengage. IF ur technically speaking, then yes there will a little "drag" not enough to rob you of ur performance. and this motor is not a 400hp motor either :) so the little spec of restriction is not gonna hurt anyone.

Strugglebucket
11-17-2004, 11:39 AM
the Evaporator weighs like 8oz dude
the dryer weighs like 8oz. the evaporator has got to wiegh at least 5 pounds. mine weighed even more because it was full of dead leaves and dirt :dunno: