PDA

View Full Version : Code 17 unplugged or defective VSS, where is it located?

zeus
11-12-2004, 02:09 PM
Lately my car has been getting horrific gas mileage. I'm at 208 miles on this tank, with less than a 1/4 of a tank left as indicated by the gauge.

This is mostly around town driving but its much worse than I used to get.

Checked the codes figuring maybe something could be wrong, got a 17, VSS. Is it in the trans or what? Anyone else have this problem, can it cause poor gas mileage?

Also, I've noticed that my transmission (auto) shifts up very quickly when I drive it, like too soon. I'll be accelerating from a stop and at like 15 mph I'm in 3rd gear already. Is this a TV cable adjustment or does the VSS have to do with that also?

Thanks in advance.

A20A1
11-12-2004, 02:48 PM
hmm, I wonder if you have an electronic control on your trans...

If not it could be the trans fluid level or the TV cable.

Isn't the vehicle speed sensor inside the gauge cluster... I don't see why it would cause problems...

I'm thinking it's just the trans giving you the poor milage... cause it's shifting too early... the motor is more efficient in higher rpms... its also where it makes more power.

SteveDX89
11-12-2004, 02:52 PM
The speed sensor is located on the top of tranny in the back. It's directly below the dog bone mount. I don't think this is causing your gas mileage problem. All the VSS does is turn the speedo cable so your speedometer works and adjusts the assist on the power steering system. As far as the tranny shifting early, I would think that would result in better gas mileage because you never get the engine wound up.

accordlxi2.0
11-12-2004, 02:58 PM
the real VSS is in the gauge cluster, one wire screwed within the speedo, and another screw. ( which is for gorund)
if it is an e-trans, and the speed sensor was screwed then the trans would shift.
more than likely you have a misadjusted t.v. cable.

zeus
11-12-2004, 04:25 PM
I kind of figured the TV cable was what causes the trans to shift early. It seems to do it the most the first time I drive the car each day.

Any write-ups to adjusting it? I don't know if its a worn transmission (180,000miles) or if the cable is just out of adjustment. I'd like to adjust it though, provided it won't mess anything up.