PDA

View Full Version : anyone try a 4g subframe?

Immeraufdemhund
11-12-2004, 07:10 PM
i'm fixing to take off my subframe on my old 87 hatch lxi. (the one i used for parts to make my car efi). I am just curious if a 4g accord sub frame goes up some what easy. Just wondering if anyone has tried. If not...i'm going to try. :slap: :slap: <- i just thought those guys were funny.

Vanilla Sky
11-12-2004, 08:14 PM
that might make the h22 swap a simple swap... give it a shot

Immeraufdemhund
11-13-2004, 06:16 PM
yes...it would make it very simple, but i'm not so concerned with that yet. I still gotta figure out how to get the wires run, were to put the ECU main relay and all that fun stuff....but i figure if i can fit it in their then yes... nearly any swap will be easy into that car. But the upper engine mount and 2 sidemounts will have to be figured out....hmm i can't remember if the f22a1 has a top engine mount like ours does.... ohwell. guess i'll just keep yuns posted.

HondaBoy
11-13-2004, 06:42 PM
wow, that sounds like a hell of a project. wont be as easy as taking an old blazer of its frame and transfering it to another. you must show us pix of your progress as you go along. that would be pretty interesting to see it being done.

Robs89LXi
11-15-2004, 07:25 AM
Pardon the ignorance, but what is a subframe?

POS carb
11-15-2004, 07:41 AM
measure it!! I doubt it though it would be nice

smufguy
11-15-2004, 08:33 AM
measure it!! I doubt it though it would be nice

thats true. From what i saw last time. the 3g and 4g were exact reverse. LIke the measurements for the front of the 3g was a 4gs rear and the 3g's rear ws the 4g's front. So yeah it wont work, unless u find a way, and even then u will run into suspension alignment problems.

Immeraufdemhund
11-22-2004, 02:18 PM
what is a subframe it is a big chunk of metal that goes from the drivers side to the passanger side of the car. There is one just about right below were your steering wheel goes out side. and there is another one right in front of the radiator. All of it is under the car. They usually have 1 or 2 mounts on them.. but for hondas case just one.

as for the front subframe it bolts right up. It's just 4 17mm bolts that hold that in. (well so does the rear one but you have to disconnect the steering column and the PS hoses that are connected to it. the front subframe hits against the lower radiator holders. That's not a big deal though cause those could be moved. You should use the bolts from the 4g cause the subframe is a little skinnier. The rear subframe is a BIT different. It seems like the easiest thing to do is to weld on a bracket for rear mount. One of the holes to hold the mount is only 1/8 of an inch off so i figure close enough for government work. One of the bolts is going to end up being off of the subframe but i might just find another place to put another hole on the mount so that i can still have 3 bolts, or just weld on to the subframe. and the rear bolt for the mount should be fairly easy to fix. It is a little low so if i just get a nut that threads really nice to the bolt and just weld it in spot. Then get a piece of metal 1/16 or 1/8 thick and weld on a plate with the exact holes it should work just fine. The 4g wireing harness has a plug in for the P.S. i hope i can just forget about that. I still have yet to figure out if i can use the 4g pump on the 3g hoses...I'll figure that out when i get the engine in the car. I'm planning on useing my old 87 hatch lxi to get it in there. Though currently i'm bolting the 4g subframe to a 87 lxi 4dr.

i'm guessing that if you dont cut out the radiator support and put in the 4g radiator support you wont get ac cause there will be no room for the radiator and the ac radiator. But i dont have ac on any of my vehicles so i dont care. I most likly will not figure out how to keep ac either.

the 4g and the 3g steering rack are WAY different. The tie rod ends on the 4g have a thicker thread, and the overal length of the rack is like 4 inches or so smaller. So i'll have to figure out how to get that to work.

the axles for the 3g are skinnier than the 4g so i'll have to put on the control arm assembly to the 3g. The struts for the 4g are a bit taller and have a different bolt pattern than the 3g. It's like trying to put on a honda tire to a ford vehicle. so you can't just bolt those on. I tried putting on the control arm but the lower ball joint is bigger than the 3g. I also tried putting the 3g ball joint on the 4g control arm but the entire thingy is smaller than the hole so it wont stay very well. so either i have to drill out the 3g one or figure out how to mount the 3g lower ball joint to the 4g control arm. The bearings are different too other wise i'd just swap bearing cause it looks like the 4g has 4 bolts holding in the bearing but the 3g is pressed in. Does anyone know if the 89 lxi or sei has similar control arms to the 4g? I only have access to 87 lxi's

the 4g sway bar is thicker than the 3g and from what i can tell would mount up to the 3g subframe, but i have yet to test that, i'll so that soon because i want to upgrade my swaybar's on my lx to lxi ones.

the side tranny mount will have to be drilled out of the 4g frame and welded on to the 3g side. I think the 3g and the 4g drivers side mount will work together, but i'll figure out that when i get it in there.

the 3g has a rear TOP mount but the 4g does not, and from what i can tell the rear LOWER engine mount might rub against the brake lines when i mount it to the 3g subframe. So i might have to cut out that thing of the 3g firewall and push those brake lines back. But yet again that is another thing that i'll check when i get the mounts in and the engine in.

the rear subframe has different measurements it's something were i could just weld on to the 3g car and make it fit, but i dont like that idea cause i think more work would be involved tring to make the subrame sturdy and the steering to work right. so i'm going to just use the 3g rear subframe. I was looking and measuring and i dont think you have to cut the 3g frame like that one guy did to put in the h22. but i guess i'll soonly find out.

i haven't checked to see if the crossmember will bolt up to the 4g front and the 3g rear subframe. I hope they do!...if not hmmm gotta do some thinking on it.

that's all i can remember that i did. Anyquestions just give a hollar either pm, email, or even here.