PDA

View Full Version : Won't warm up...

barber107
11-13-2004, 01:43 PM
My 87 LX-i will not warm up past 3/8's of the way on the guage. I am pretty sure the thermostat must be malfunctioning, but I wondered what else I should look at if changing the thermostat doesn't fix the problem.

Also, I am getting the most awful gas milage even though the car seems to be running smooth! Suggestions?

I plan on doing the plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor button, thermostat, air filter and an oil change to get the car back up to where it should be. Is there anything else I should consider (especially if it doesn't cost much)?

Thanks,

Barber

3gn86lxi
11-13-2004, 02:01 PM
Don't forget your fuel filter also when you do the tune up! Make sure your coolant level is o.k. Running on the cool side is allright, also helps for performance.

shepherd79
11-13-2004, 03:33 PM
Don't forget your fuel filter also when you do the tune up! Make sure your coolant level is o.k. Running on the cool side is allright, also helps for performance.

yeah it does help performance, but at the same time it kills the gas mileage.

FoX
11-13-2004, 05:33 PM
yeah it does help performance, but at the same time it kills the gas mileage.
Should have specified that you are talking about it running cool... not the fuel filter.

Immeraufdemhund
11-13-2004, 06:10 PM
well the general tune up certainly will help for gas milage. As for the coolant when it's the car is cool or cold check the radiator fluid. When it's topped off open up the bleeder that is on top of the thermostat housing. That's a 12 mm bolt.

ALso how do you drive? like a mad man trying to kill your motor, or a reasonable driver?

HondaBoy
11-13-2004, 06:16 PM
i thought a general tune up was and oil change and maybe, new spark plugs. just my 2 cents

buds302
11-13-2004, 06:55 PM
doyou have auto or manual? if manual try changin the trans oil too. it only takes regular motor oil 10w30 or somthing like that. hey do you have heat in your car and is it hot. if it is try a new temp sending unit.

buds302
11-13-2004, 06:58 PM
one more thing about the trans. if you have an automatic. make sure when you change the fluid that you put half the old fluid back in.. if you dont youll blow out the internal seals and your trans will be shot. just fyi. belive me it took 4 transmissions to figure that one out!!(dont ask)