PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Aftermarket Tach

barber107
11-14-2004, 09:58 AM
My tachometer doesn't work and I just wondered if I could find a cheap aftermarket tach to use rather than tearing the dash apart. I found a splitter that I can use to hook it up, but I can't find a tach that is under$30. Can anybody recommend a tach that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

TheSummoner101
11-14-2004, 10:23 AM
the junk yard is a good place, but not sure how much they'd charge....try opening up the guage pod, and see if there are any loose wires or something....if neither of those options fit you, then just leave it alone, and master shifting via listening :D

there are some cheap crapy ones at kragen auto parts...but IMO i'd rather have nothing then those things....

A20A1
11-14-2004, 12:59 PM
cheap tachs are not as acuurate... and they may burn themselves out, I dunno if you can install a fuse on a tach or not but it may help.

There are smaller tachs that should be a fair bit cheaper.
SUNPRO (http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=partdetail.asp&part=SUN%2DCP7908&N=110&view=4095)
I never used them before but they are cheap.

I remember there being a cheap digital tach... but they you'd have to read numbers instead of looking at a pointer.

barber107
11-15-2004, 05:34 AM
The car has an automatic transmission so I don't need the tach for shifting purposes. However, there are a lot of nagging little issues that I could fix if I had the tachometer to help me diagnose (i.e. surging, shaking at idle, poor mpg).

It seems to me that the car is idling way high when I start it, but without the tach, I can't be sure. It does sound normal when it has been driven for a while (after 15 minutes), but not right at first. Of course, since this is my first 3g and I am not familar with the engines I don't know what they sound like to know if it is idling correctly.

I can't wait to get my other car fixed so I can start working on this one!

TJ89Accord
11-17-2004, 11:20 AM
Its probably idleing high when you first start it because its cold, and I'm guessing you have a carbed 3g?

barber107
11-17-2004, 11:27 AM
Its a LX-i so its fuel injected.

I realize that it should idle high when it is first started to warm the engine up, but too me it seems as if it is idling too high (>1500 RPMs).

buds302
11-17-2004, 12:56 PM
this is the one i got:
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-11/886583/Img0100001.jpg
i know its a bad pic but i paid 114 for it. its an autometer 5" tach with shiftlite

accordlxi2.0
11-17-2004, 05:53 PM
well one is probably the ignition module...just barrow one from the j/y.

barber107
11-18-2004, 10:29 AM
well one is probably the ignition module...just barrow one from the j/y.

Before I get flamed, I did a quick search in both the shop manual and the forum and couldn't find anything about the ignition module. Is it the same as the igniter? Where is it located, what does it have to do with the tachometer, and how much does it cost to replace (assuming I can't get one from the Junk yard)?

Thanks,

Barber