PDA

View Full Version : CV Axle and Rotor Problem

phoenxislayer15
11-15-2004, 03:54 PM
In another thread, someone told me that my CV axles needed to be replaced. Here's the symptoms.

The car sounds like a train when I drove slow, the ca-clunk ca-clunk sound.
When I go into a corner it sounds like my wheels going to fall off, left and right side.

Rotor problems:

Over 55+ makes my car shake when I brake, so here's my questions.

1) Are the CV axles hard and expensive to replace?
2) Is the rotor hard to take off and replace, or get turned?
3) Is this what's wrong with my car?

Mac
11-15-2004, 04:27 PM
Usually when an axle is bad you hear clicking when making turns.

Shakes while braking usually is glazed rotors.

1) Not really difficult. But if you have problems removing ball joint from lower control arm it can be a pain. There is a how to for this: Here
2) Real easy. Pull the wheel and remove 2 screws that hold rotor on. You can turn them, but for a few bucks more you can get new ones. If you get new ones check to see if they are coated. If so, clean before you install.

AZmike
11-15-2004, 04:34 PM
1 The half-shafts should each be under $100. The 32 mm nut is sometimes difficult to break loose, otherwise it's not too bad a job--unless your damper fork bolt is rusted into the bushing on the lower control arm.

2 The rotors are held on by two 6 mm screws after you have removed the wheel and lifted the caliper out of the way.

3 I'd start with the half-shafts. If the shaft between the joints on each side has a lot of play the joints are bad. They may be your only problem so I'd leave the brakes alone until I was sure all of the other obvious problems were solved.

phoenxislayer15
11-15-2004, 05:00 PM
I'll rip that off and send some pics, so you can see because I have no clue what your talking about. :sad2:

shepherd79
11-15-2004, 05:04 PM
if you don't know what we are talking about, please take it to a mechanic. take it to some one who can fit it before you screw it up.

phoenxislayer15
11-15-2004, 05:17 PM
I would, but no one in this area is competent. Everytime we take a car to a mechanic it gets fuxed.

Mac
11-15-2004, 05:27 PM
At least download the manual. Here

superguillermo
11-15-2004, 05:49 PM
Hey! my car is doing the exact same thing (except for the train sounds when driving slow)...even after I replaced the rotors. Strange thing is that the axle boots aren't ripped or anything...so who knows! One mechanic blamed it on my tranny...another one on my rims....and the last one was honest enough to tell me he wasn't sure, but still game me suggestions.

smufguy
11-15-2004, 07:43 PM
usually the grinding noise occurs at low speed when the pad is worn out too much and is actually rubbing on the rotor. The shaking is like said, bad rotors usually warped one. Glazed rotors just wont brake, they dont make the car wobble. Also, bad CV joints only click on turns, but are fine on straights.

Drive the car in an empty parking lot and then put it in neutral and see if u hear the sound. IF u do, try and brake and see if it increases and then let go of the brake and see if it goes badk/down.