PDA

View Full Version : I'm about to give up! I hate carbs!

b18_integra
11-15-2004, 11:12 PM
Okay I bought my 88 lx accord like 2 months ago. I payed 100bucks because it had no tranny and thats why the guy stoped driving it he said it ran perfect except the taranny went out. Well i put a new tranny in shifts perfect im all excited :rockon: start it up for the first time.... belt starts smokin. The alternator had locked up. Well no big deal. My buddy had a d series alternator that i modified the mount and it all wired up and got it werkin. Once again im all exited! Start it up and it idles perfect. I let it idle for like 15 minutes till it got to normal temp then i tryed to drive it.... I make it around the block and it starts to putter and dies. Try to start it, it starts and idles but when you try to drive it just dies. Thats were im stuck to now. I replaced the fuel pump still does it, drained the gas, cleaned the tank, took the carb off cleaned the shit outta it, replaced the fuel filters and it still does it!!!! :mad: Some one please tell me you know what it is! I love this car and wanna drive it but its strating to piss me off!!

buds302
11-15-2004, 11:28 PM
first off get the correct alternator. you said it idles right. but for how long? if you step on the gas and rev the engine does it rev or does it die? is it an auto or a 5-speed?
and is the timing set correctly? check all of this stuff and get back to us. cause it might be a few things like:fast idle valve, idle stop screw, transmission kick down cable, maybe a gasket,oxygen sensor, bad needle in your carb? all of this might be problems that you can narrow down. but definatly get the correct alternator. dont try to rig one up. especially if it is not made for the car. that might be your main problem.

BlueBead
11-15-2004, 11:52 PM
First thing: dont give up on this car; when its running right you'll bloody love it.
Second thing: what buds302 said; check your battery voltage as well. If the alternator is not working properly and the battery is rundown or worn out, it could just be a lack of juice to your spark plugs.
My alt did the same thing after sitting for 3 or 4 months. If your not into spending too much money on this car just go grab one from a wrecker's and try that. Otherwise, I recommend Bosch; they have a 5yr warranty.
third thing: KISS principle; I use it all of the time and its pretty damned useful

fourth and final thing: Good luck and welcome to 3Geez

b18_integra
11-16-2004, 07:09 AM
first off get the correct alternator. you said it idles right. but for how long? if you step on the gas and rev the engine does it rev or does it die? is it an auto or a 5-speed?
and is the timing set correctly? check all of this stuff and get back to us. cause it might be a few things like:fast idle valve, idle stop screw, transmission kick down cable, maybe a gasket,oxygen sensor, bad needle in your carb? all of this might be problems that you can narrow down. but definatly get the correct alternator. dont try to rig one up. especially if it is not made for the car. that might be your main problem.

The batter voltage is fine, its not the alternator. It does exacly what you described above it will idles perfect and it will rev up but it just dies after you rev it. the alternator works perfect i did the same thin to my buddys crx his alternator went out and we had one from a 98 civic that i put in there and his car runs perfect.

kdagenais
11-16-2004, 09:11 AM
What is to voltage output across the battery whie the car is running?

buds302
11-16-2004, 10:36 AM
The batter voltage is fine, its not the alternator. It does exacly what you described above it will idles perfect and it will rev up but it just dies after you rev it. the alternator works perfect i did the same thin to my buddys crx his alternator went out and we had one from a 98 civic that i put in there and his car runs perfect.
but see thats takin an alternator from a civic motor and puttin it in a crx. baisically the same as a civic. they have almost the same engine. just like you said you had to modify the d seiries alt to fit. try takin the d series motor and put it in an accord it wont work. and niether will the accord motor on the crx or civic or any honda that is made for d sieries or b sieries motor. a sieries motors are built different. they are the only 12 valve motor honda makes and they only made em for the 3 g accord and the prelude. you cant take a sieries parts and put em on a d,b,h,f,k,c or any other motor. they wont work!

shepherd79
11-16-2004, 10:55 AM
it sounds like you have a vacuum leak somewhere. check all the hoses and make sure they are not broken or have cracks in them. make sure they are rubbery and not hard as rock.

PS. where are you located? if you don't have emissions, you can remove the vacuum lines.

b18_integra
11-16-2004, 11:09 AM
but see thats takin an alternator from a civic motor and puttin it in a crx. baisically the same as a civic. they have almost the same engine. just like you said you had to modify the d seiries alt to fit. try takin the d series motor and put it in an accord it wont work. and niether will the accord motor on the crx or civic or any honda that is made for d sieries or b sieries motor. a sieries motors are built different. they are the only 12 valve motor honda makes and they only made em for the 3 g accord and the prelude. you cant take a sieries parts and put em on a d,b,h,f,k,c or any other motor. they wont work!

Well i had to do just the same i cut the plugs and wired the other on on and it has one left over that i just tape off. I disconned the battery and the car runs just the same. The batter is fully chanrged any ways so it can run off that i ran my 94 teg with no alternator for 2 day because i didnt know i had lost the belf. Ill fix the alternator problem but i really dont ehink thats gonna fix my problem.

86LXItooFAST4me
11-16-2004, 11:20 AM
haha, at first i thought this was another damn "ATKINS" diet thing :D

POS carb
11-16-2004, 11:36 AM
check for vacuum leaks with a choke cleaner spray or propane even better (once you spray near a leak the motor will rev up a little). Then if no leaks check that the slow mixture solenoid that it's getting voltage at idle (or engine off, key "on")

b18_integra
11-22-2004, 02:45 PM
Its about time! :thumbup: Today i finnaly did it. After buying a whole new fuel line my accord is up and runnin strong. Thanks for all your help and yeah the alternator works fine :)