PDA

View Full Version : Alternator and sound system

coolcatkoko2000
11-16-2004, 04:02 PM
Hey

Just a question for you guys. I beleive my alternator just died and was wondering if any one could give me an estimate on haw many amps i would need for my car i currently hav a 500w amp and a HU. The amp is powering two subs. How big of an alternator would i need in order to be safe. The original 65A one is still in there.

Thanks
Josh

TheSummoner101
11-16-2004, 06:07 PM
your sound system shouldn't have that big of an impact on your battery. if your car is running, your battery shouldn't die on you. if your alternator died, its prolly defective, or too old. if you run your system for too long without starting your car, your battery will die.

only reason you would need a big alternator and battery is prolly when u got a lot of things running in your car. i.e. a gaming console; lots of exterior lights; a tv; or more then 2 amplifiers.

pendejo
11-16-2004, 09:52 PM
your sound system shouldn't have that big of an impact on your battery. if your car is running, your battery shouldn't die on you. if your alternator died, its prolly defective, or too old. if you run your system for too long without starting your car, your battery will die.

only reason you would need a big alternator and battery is prolly when u got a lot of things running in your car. i.e. a gaming console; lots of exterior lights; a tv; or more then 2 amplifiers.

I'm not so sure about that. I only have 1 amp and if I drive at night with the amp on, the lights flicker everytime the bass hits.

TheSummoner101
11-16-2004, 10:06 PM
I'm not so sure about that. I only have 1 amp and if I drive at night with the amp on, the lights flicker everytime the bass hits.
thats because u need to add a capacitor to regualte the voltage. check in the how-to section, it gives a brief discription of it.

i reccomend doing that as soon as possible, because if it occurs often enough, it will make ur headlights go out sooner then they should.

pendejo
11-16-2004, 10:51 PM
Good info, nice to know.

$40089'accordproject
11-21-2004, 06:25 PM
My car had that same problem and i tryed 2 get it rebuilt but thay said i fried that points in my Alternator so just get a new one

accordlxi2.0
11-21-2004, 06:34 PM
well there's a how to, for where you can add an 90-93 accord alternator.

what'll help also is a ground wire mod, too.