PDA

View Full Version : Electrical problems? Car dies!

pendejo
11-17-2004, 11:41 AM
I put in a new alternator, actually it was used, and from a carb model, but I switched the regulator like it said in another post. Get it all back together, get a jump start, cars running fine, then I remove the cables from the batteries and the car will start to bog down and die. I did this twice, so my question is, is it possible that my battery is so dead that it will keep my car from staying running? I am not very good with electrical systems in cars, so any help given will be appreciated.

Mac
11-17-2004, 06:10 PM
Did you let the engine run for a while before you disconnected the battery? It could be that the battery was low and didn't get charged before you tried this. Why did you change the alternator? And did you use the regulator from the old alternator?

Check that all the connections ( both battery cables, alternator, and grounds) are all clean and tight. Also make sure that the alternator belt is tight.

If you can get a voltmeter, connect it across the battery with the engine running. You should get at least 13.75 volts if the alternator is good.

pendejo
11-17-2004, 10:13 PM
Thanks for the reply. I realized that I'm a friggen idiot and didn't tighten the belt! OH well, guess you learn something everyday!