PDA

View Full Version : whirring sound

honda
11-17-2004, 06:21 PM
Accord started making a whirring sound when changing gears, just after shifting gears, or in low gear. Changing how I use clutch/gas pedal seems to prevent the whirring sound, but I've never had it it do this before. Anyone know what this is?

superguillermo
11-17-2004, 06:38 PM
are u talking about a whistle sound that comes from the engine when you are trying to accelerate?

honda
11-18-2004, 06:06 AM
are u talking about a whistle sound that comes from the engine when you are trying to accelerate?

No, it is a whirring or fluttering sound.

What is the whistling sound you're talking about indicate?

POS carb
11-18-2004, 06:56 AM
a whirring or fluttering sound? I dunno, just sounds like loose parts... No noise in neutral?? Speedo acts normal??

the whining sound is made when your clutch is worn out...

superguillermo
11-18-2004, 01:02 PM
No, it is a whirring or fluttering sound.

What is the whistling sound you're talking about indicate?

the famous "whistling" just happens due to the design of the intake...since no two are identical, it varies.

carotman
11-19-2004, 07:01 AM
Put your car in Neutral and press/depress the clutch. If you can hear a definite and somewhat LOUD friction sound when you do not press on the clutch and it goes away when you press on it, that may be the input shaft transmission bearing that's going bad. It's a common problem on Hondas.

honda
11-20-2004, 01:11 PM
Put your car in Neutral and press/depress the clutch. If you can hear a definite and somewhat LOUD friction sound when you do not press on the clutch and it goes away when you press on it, that may be the input shaft transmission bearing that's going bad. It's a common problem on Hondas.

put the car in neutral when driving?

i listened to the sound again, and it seems to be when press the gas pedal. Does not seem to occur at fourth gear, only in lower gears.

also, does someone know what is the normal idle speed supposed to be?

whining sound/clutch: not sure what you mean. can you describe that a little more