PDA

View Full Version : Annoying fluttering / tweeting noise from dash behind dials!!!!

Oz87Si
11-18-2004, 03:32 AM
Hey guys, hopefully someone can help me. Every now and then, when the car gets above about 70 km/h, an irritating fluttering tweeting noise starts up in the dash behind the dials. Just keeps going when I'm cruising down the freeway at 110km/h. When you slow down, it just peeters out, but then starts again when you speed up.

I've dropped it at the mechanics twice for this when it makes the noise, but everytime they drive the car, it never makes the noise. My mechanic said it could be the speedo cable (as it spins) and it could be dry and rough so its making the noise....

Anyone had the same problem?

Cheers in advance.

POS carb
11-18-2004, 06:53 AM
speedo cable is probably not plugged in all the way, take out the cluster and shoot a little WD 40 on the "spline" of the cable, plug it all in and try it out, mine used to do that when the cable broke from the clip but al all speeds and it would start registering like 90-100 when I was doing 60

NXRacer
11-18-2004, 08:07 AM
either its not plugged in all the way or its not lubricated enough.

DBMaster
11-18-2004, 08:51 AM
Eventually the speedometer cable just wears out. I guess the inside of the jacketing gets worn and allows too much "slop" in the inner cable. I had pulled mine twice and lubed the inner cable with white lithium grease. That might work for you. After a year or so I ended up just replacing it and it is nice and quiet again.

DeeJay
11-19-2004, 09:16 AM
lol i had the same problem and yeah it was the speedometer cable