PDA

View Full Version : Questions! lol. Carb related.

87lxaccord
11-18-2004, 06:17 PM
I have an 87 Honda Accord and I was told that old Honda's are supposed to jerk and tha is how there tranmission is. Well its a 4 speed automatic. And when im driving like about 40 it jerks and then 60 it jerks and so forth. And I also think it uses alot of gas! lol.. probably 25 liters of gas will take me about 175km .. which isnt alot at all its like 12.5 liters per 100Km.. any way to make any of this better? Also is it supposed to shake like a vibration when im at like a stop sign with my foot on the brake.. it just shakes and rattles in the front.. anyways to make anyting better? lol.. thanks.. yeahi know not the brightst bulb! hehe thanks

TheSummoner101
11-19-2004, 07:50 AM
hey, whats up. welcome to 3geez, and im pretty sure if u stick around for long enough, ull get what ur looking for :)

okay first thing first, yes it does jerk, its not set to jerk at certain speed marks. i think u listed all the things in kmps, so i think 40 = ~25mph which is where my car jerks the first time, and it switches gears (will jerk total of 3 times, since it only goes into 1st when driving hard or uphill).....so it's not a bad thing, its just that "old technology" and u can feel the car shifting, thats all. in newer cars they improved em, and u can feel less of the shifts. it also depends if u drive hard, any automatic car u drive hard, and i mean flooring that sh!t, u can feel the jerks, may not be as much as our old cars, but u'll feel them.

as for gas milage, that does seem pretty crappy (i think, sorry used to miles), what u can do is:
1) clean/rebuild carb (spray some carb cleaner)
2) get better spark plugs (ngk is best i hear, also what i have on mine)
3) check/replace fuel filters if neccessary
4) check vacume lines (not sure about this one, but some1 will double check haha)
5) check fuel pump
6) check fuel lines

5/6 are advanced, i think they are listed in the "how-to" section.

also whenever possible, search before posting, there is a lot of great info on here and some ppl dont like to repost things over and over again, so they wont reply! so search for it.....like search "improving gas milage" you should be getting about 28 miles per gallon freeway, and 22 steet

POS carb
11-19-2004, 11:27 AM
flush out the atf fluid, use Honda or Dextron III and if that doesnt help add half a bottle of lucas auto transmission treatment

A20A1
11-19-2004, 12:32 PM
If the car shakes:

How is your idle RPM's?

Sometimes the motor will pivot too much on old worn out motor mounts and or braces.
You might want to look into that as a cause of vibration and jerking.