PDA

View Full Version : Cupholder dissapointment...

accordlx
07-29-2002, 05:27 PM
I worked on a friends car over the weekend... He has an 89 SE-i with about 280k miles on it. It's not in that bad of shape considering the mileage and how much salt they put on the roads here in Ohio in the winter... Anyways... I finally saw a set of the much coveted Accord cupholders with my own eyes. I have to honestly say that I was not impressed with them at all. They look like they wouldnt hold a can of Coke very well. I would be afraid that if I hit the brakes hard, the Coke would spill into my Stereo. I can't honestly believe that this was Honda's best effort when they decided on that design. The cupholder design guy must have called off sick on the day they had to make the decision on which cup holder to include in the SE-i. I like the cassette holder better because you can put much more junk in it vs. the drink holder mabob.. I guess I can end my junkyard exploration now.. (his head hung low in dissapointment and defeat..)

Chris86Lxi
07-29-2002, 05:57 PM
Awwww:( Don't be sad. Just remember, every accord has a cupholder stock: Between the e-brake and the passenger seat.:super:

Chris

DBMaster
07-29-2002, 07:50 PM
You're right about the cupholder placement. We bought a 99 Oasis (98 Odyssey with Isuzu nameplate on it) and the cupholder is in the same place. the previous owner must have had a mishap because one of the stereo buttons sticks. I have cleaned it as well as I can, but the only way to get rid of the offending sugary crap around the button is going to be to remove the stereo, take off the front, and clean it with distilled water. the e-Brake/seat placement is much safer, It think.

My favorite drinkholder is the two-legs-holding-the-drink-in-the-crotch method. It always worked well for us in the old days before the Plymouth voyager came along and made cupholders required equipment. We used to go the Burger King and get Cokes. The we would drink off a little of the Coke and add Jack Daniel's back to the cup. STEALTH BOOZE!

I feel so old!

Later dudes.

89AccordCpe
07-29-2002, 07:50 PM
Yeah, it ain't that great. I prefer the cassette holder as well, it's great for storage.

Flyguy125
07-29-2002, 07:55 PM
hey accordlx whdd u buythat body it from?

Flyguy125
07-29-2002, 08:08 PM
i meant to say where di u buy that body kit from

Flyguy125
07-29-2002, 08:34 PM
i meant to say where di u buy that body kit from

A20A1
07-29-2002, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by Chris86Lxi
Awwww:( Don't be sad. Just remember, every accord has a cupholder stock: Between the e-brake and the passenger seat.:super:

Chris

True... and the bigger the drink the tighter the fit.

POS carb
07-29-2002, 08:44 PM
actually i felt the same way when i bough mine but surprisingly they do a pretty good job of holding cans and stuff, i use the ebrake for the big ones... only thing is it kind of blocks my radio controls

netfreak
07-29-2002, 11:03 PM

Chris

yeah! pop cans/bottles and slurpees fit perfectly there. sometimes bigger slurpees get a bit squished when i zip around corners

Asturias
07-30-2002, 03:52 AM
Also, this was back in the 80's when very few cars even had cupholders. My mother's Legend has zero cupholders and it's newer than my car!

Defiant[YD]
07-30-2002, 01:44 PM
damn, screw the stock cup holders then....
i'll just go get some type-r holders and drill them to the dash like i did with my cell holder.

man, doesn't stickin ur drinks between ur legs make u cold?????:huh:

89accordlxi
07-31-2002, 10:05 PM
I've had my SE-i cupholder for about a month now and am enjoying it. It holds cans and cups up to 24oz just fine. So I think the design of it works great. Plus the storage underneath is just the right size for small items and cell phones and you can close the cover to conceal things.
If you need a cassette holder to carry all of your junk then you have other problems and with no cover, it just makes the car look cluttered. So I am giving the "design a thumbs up"

However, the placement is another story. Yes, it is way too close to the stereo. If you have to 24 oz cups in the holder, you pretty much cover up the whole stereo face. Very annoying unless you have a remote. But, you cannot criticize only Honda for this design flaw. Many other cars on the market have the cup holder in that spot. So you can't blame only Honda for that.

After all said and done, I still think it is better than the cassette holder.

(And i just can't say enough good things about the center arm rest)
That's all I have to say about that...

Peace out

87accordlx
08-01-2002, 08:50 AM

Chris

i must be puttin mine in the wrong spot between the ebrake and the seat, last time i put a bottle of water there it fell over all the time, it didn't fit tight, this is gonna sound really pathetic but could somebody post a pic of where u guys put your drink between the ebrake and the seat

thanks
scott

guaynabo89
08-02-2002, 05:01 AM
You use the space between the driver seat and the ebrake handle for large drinks and the space in between the e-brake and passenge seat for extra huge drinks.:D

Or is it the other way around?:rolleyes:

killerb09
08-02-2002, 07:33 AM
hehe I'll sell you a tape holder mabob if you want to wait untill september so I can go get it...

offthahook
08-02-2002, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by 89accordlxi
I've had my SE-i cupholder for about a month now and am enjoying it. It holds cans and cups up to 24oz just fine. So I think the design of it works great. Plus the storage underneath is just the right size for small items and cell phones and you can close the cover to conceal things.
If you need a cassette holder to carry all of your junk then you have other problems and with no cover, it just makes the car look cluttered. So I am giving the "design a thumbs up"

However, the placement is another story. Yes, it is way too close to the stereo. If you have to 24 oz cups in the holder, you pretty much cover up the whole stereo face. Very annoying unless you have a remote. But, you cannot criticize only Honda for this design flaw. Many other cars on the market have the cup holder in that spot. So you can't blame only Honda for that.

After all said and done, I still think it is better than the cassette holder.

(And i just can't say enough good things about the center arm rest)
That's all I have to say about that...

Peace out

I agree. Keep in mind the se-i's had remotes on the steering wheel, so it could cover the radio face up with no probs. Also, this wasn't an option item per se, we're truly Monday morning QB'ing this item. They changed the design in 90 and it is better. I don't like how the tall drinks crowd the HVAC panel. Also, you notice how drinks now have smaller bottoms? I think that is for cupholders in cars. ours have really small diameters though-- anything over a large is too big.

Shagen
08-03-2002, 08:33 AM
cup holders who needs them, I put my beverages between the passanger seat and the e-brake, works great but cans are a little too small

89accordlxi
08-03-2002, 09:21 AM
Try sticking 2 of these between the seat and e-brake

http://www.geocities.com/tvouthilak/images/cupinholder.jpg

sanjay
08-12-2002, 02:11 AM
DOes anyone with a Se-i wanna sell their cupholder?! I'd definitely want one for sure

jay
08-12-2002, 02:48 PM
I tend to put drinks next to the e-brake, but I end up dumping drinks into the backseat floorboards all the time. (I must accelerate too fast!! ;)) I actually find that I like them better on the left side of the driver's seat, sorta sitting on the recline lever. It wedges in there nicely (up to about 40oz) and it doesn't have any direction to spill. Just watch for it when you open the door. :o

carotman
08-12-2002, 03:19 PM
Those cupholders are perfect to hold your weed :p

lostforawhile
07-25-2007, 08:06 PM
just wanted to revive this thread,to see if anyone has come up with any better ideas so far. i saw some cool really trick cup holders at Bass pro shops,they are designed for boats,but work excellent for cars too. and does anyone remember which honda it was that had the pop up holders on the top of the dash? i wonder if those could be retrofitted. i also wondered about making a slide out powered one attached to the bottom of the drivers seat. it could be used for long trips,then disappear to be out of the way.

88Accord-DX
07-25-2007, 08:49 PM
I do the trick that was mentioned, 'hold drink between legs crotch method' sometimes. Most of time, I shove them 32 oz styrofoam soda cups in between my seat & the E-brake.
I haven't seen one used in a while, the ol' plastic cup holder you stick between the window & door by the side mirror.

This thread is so old, I was in the military when the first post was posted. (flashback)

blh1983
07-25-2007, 09:52 PM
A couple things about the cup holder. Yeah the placement is bad for modern day stereos. But the cupholders only came out with the SE-i; am I right? Well didn't the SE-i's also for the most part have stereo controls on the steering wheel? So if that's the case the cup holder placement wasn't all that bad of a decision. I find that for the most part the cup holder is convienent, especially over fumbling around with the cheap drink carriers that restaraunts give out. The cupholder holds most reasonable sized drinks just fine. Besides you shouldn't be mess'n with radio controls while drive'n anyways; even though we all do. The arm rest also adds more storage space for the lost space of having a cup older vs. cassette holder. I much prefer the cupholder over the e-brake method; I haven't had any beverages spill yet. And, If your that desperate come to a stop, take a drink change the station and there you go!

A18A
07-25-2007, 10:05 PM
a old cd rom :D

LX-incredible
07-25-2007, 10:35 PM
a old cd rom :D
Power cupholders!:bong:

roofusgooner
07-25-2007, 10:57 PM
I was looking on honda's website and it shows all the parts for the sei console for ordering, but then it says discontinued, contact the dealer. I mean, if someone had an sei and "accidently" shoved a knife through their console and wanted to pay the dealer to replace it, they would have to get it for them, right? So why can't we just order it? I'm a little stubborn and refuse to believe it couldn't just be that easy. http://estore.honda.com/epc/asp/rjane007.asp#
Search for an 89 SEi and then it's under Parts / CHASSIS / CONSOLE (SEI) (2).

A18A
07-25-2007, 11:13 PM
Power cupholders!:bong:
exactly lol

2drSE-i
07-26-2007, 07:38 AM
i have cupholders and honest to god the only thing i use them for is storing air freshners and bolts

Cheeseburger
07-26-2007, 07:43 AM
i have cupholders and honest to god the only thing i use them for is storing air freshners and bolts

yeah i only use them to store bolts and gum lol, but its kinda hard to drink and drive on a 5-speed :violin:

Pico
07-26-2007, 07:50 AM
I use it for a cell phone holder :D

russiankid
07-26-2007, 08:32 AM
I use it for a cell phone holder :D
I use my cassette holder for that, and a friend for my cup holder:)

2oodoor
07-26-2007, 08:55 AM
I would have to look again but I think that about a 92 Taurus has slide out cupholders in like a DIN type configuration that you could possibly mount in the cassete holder space.

MessyHonda
07-26-2007, 09:29 AM
i found out an arizona drink does not fit on our cupholders....well tommy did...my sprite fit just fine.

LX-incredible
07-26-2007, 09:49 AM
I was looking on honda's website and it shows all the parts for the sei console for ordering, but then it says discontinued, contact the dealer. I mean, if someone had an sei and "accidently" shoved a knife through their console and wanted to pay the dealer to replace it, they would have to get it for them, right? So why can't we just order it? I'm a little stubborn and refuse to believe it couldn't just be that easy. http://estore.honda.com/epc/asp/rjane007.asp#
Search for an 89 SEi and then it's under Parts / CHASSIS / CONSOLE (SEI) (2).
Manufacturers are only required to have replacement parts for 10 years. Unnecessary items such as trim and interior pieces were not stockpiled in the way that vitals or common wearing parts were. I think that on safety systems such as brakes, they go back longer. The reason that our calipers cost over $8000 each is to discourage people from buying.

LX-incredible
07-26-2007, 09:57 AM
I would have to look again but I think that about a 92 Taurus has slide out cupholders in like a DIN type configuration that you could possibly mount in the cassete holder space.
It should fit with some work. They're actually pretty good cupholders, would take up minimal space, and you get the coin tray.

Toneloc5145
07-26-2007, 10:43 AM
Hearing that the cupholders are not that good is kinda disappointing. I really need some cupholders. The other day I drove almost 100 miles with an Arizona iced tea in my left hand and drove with the right hand. Steering and shifting with the same hand. Usually I use the seat/e-brake thing, but I don't put open drinks there; I don't want them to fall over and mess up my seats.

w261w261
07-26-2007, 11:02 AM
My SE-i cupholders are good for a traditional soda can, a coffee cup or anything that is not any wider than a soda can. A Snapple, for instance, will not fit. The low depth of the holders means that you have to be careful about tall bottles. Go around a corner and they will tip out. The way they block the radio is unfortunate. All in all, I still like them.

MessyHonda
07-26-2007, 11:15 AM
My SE-i cupholders are good for a traditional soda can, a coffee cup or anything that is not any wider than a soda can. A Snapple, for instance, will not fit. The low depth of the holders means that you have to be careful about tall bottles. Go around a corner and they will tip out. The way they block the radio is unfortunate. All in all, I still like them.

yeah thats why i think they made the radio controls on the wheel they do block...but i use my remote so i dont have to mess around the cans. i never had anything spill even with a lowered suspension.

knarg
07-26-2007, 12:03 PM
i kinda want to make my own cupholder and screw it into the dash near the passenger side. that would be nice.

knarg
07-26-2007, 01:09 PM
or i saw some holders that clip on to the A/C vents...

MessyHonda
07-26-2007, 11:01 PM
or i saw some holders that clip on to the A/C vents...

yeah geddy has some of thoes.

blh1983
07-27-2007, 12:08 PM
I don't know if this is helpful but it might be for those of you who like to fabricate. But, you can actually pull the cup holder tray out of the cup holder. With that you can fabricate a bigger cup holder to fit in the tray, or you can use the entire space to store whatever. If you get brave you can cut a hole in the dash and fabricate a spot to put the cup holder up there. Don't do that unless you know what your doing, lol. Hope this was helpful. I may edit this and add a picture of this removed upon request.

lostforawhile
07-27-2007, 08:03 PM
I AM going to build the pneumatic pop out holder,i already made the aluminum block for the vaccume taps, and ready to put that in tomorrow,i also put in the rocker switch for extend and retract. and wired it. i will also run the first vaccume line tomorow. all i need to do when i get some money,is order a small pneumatic cyl. from MSC and figure out the linkages. this will work great,because at cruise,i always steer with my left hand,and i tested to see how easy it would be to put a drink,in and out of the holder. :)

Civic Accord Honda
07-28-2007, 01:50 AM
I would have to look again but I think that about a 92 Taurus has slide out cupholders in like a DIN type configuration that you could possibly mount in the cassete holder space. this them ?
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/9/web/2073000-2073999/2073835_30_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/9/web/2073000-2073999/2073835_32_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/9/web/2073000-2073999/2073835_16_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/8/web/2480000-2480999/2480200_11_full.jpg
under the radio?

Civic Accord Honda
07-28-2007, 02:46 AM
here is a set forsale on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CUP-COIN-HOLDER-90-91-92-93-94-95-TAURUS-SABLE-SAAB-SHO_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem300134352078QQitemZ 300134352078
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Capri-Honda-Saab-Ford-Taurus-SHO-Cup-and-Coin-holder_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem140141389913QQit emZ140141389913

2oodoor
07-29-2007, 12:24 AM
yep that is it, looks dooable to me. to the junkyard we go

AccordB20A
07-29-2007, 02:26 AM
haha i was going to "make" some subaru ones fit where my cassette holder is but i gave up on that when i heard these cars actually came with them. just only american models so now i gta get a set frm USA

Civic Accord Honda
07-29-2007, 02:40 AM
yep that is it, looks dooable to me. to the junkyard we go
fuck yeah it does put them where the radio go's move radio down to where the cupholders go :)

A18A
07-29-2007, 03:04 AM
i always wanted those din type cup holders, since the stereo can fit in the cassette holder with a bit of mods

Civic Accord Honda
07-29-2007, 03:07 AM
yeah man it would be easy to custom mize the radio with some plasic lol

lostforawhile
07-29-2007, 07:41 AM
your other option is to get a hiden stereo like they use on hot rods,and have no stereo visable at all. you have a remote to operate everything, but the head unit is a hidden box in the car. then you have an entire din sized space. if you are good,you also have the option of modifying the switches on the front of a removable face radio, and mouting the face somewhere else. actually anywhere you want. then the box would mount remotly like the other. talking about the switches that tell the radio the face is attached.

Civic Accord Honda
07-29-2007, 02:24 PM
yeah i was thinking about the glove box trick but my radio does not have a remote lol

Blkblurr
07-29-2007, 03:27 PM
I have an SE-i and I don't have cup holders. Never have and I got it new.

blh1983
07-29-2007, 03:32 PM
Do you at least have the cassette tape holder??
I have an SE-i and I don't have cup holders. Never have and I got it new.

Civic Accord Honda
07-29-2007, 03:57 PM
he has the EQ

MessyHonda
07-29-2007, 11:23 PM
he has the EQ

or the cd player.

knarg
07-29-2007, 11:28 PM
or the cd player.

or both.

MessyHonda
07-30-2007, 12:15 AM
or both.

yup....but why would you want both unless you try to keep it stock looking and for rareness i guess. i want digital.

HondaMan
09-05-2007, 10:31 PM
I just found an SE at the junkyard and pulled the cup holder and the e-brake cover, which doesn't have an armrest. I couldn't figure out how to get the rest of the console off, but I think I'm gonna need it, because the ash tray and lighter are reversed from the ones in my LX-i. also, will the SE e-brake cover fit without any modification? it looks like it may be off-center. I brought the pieces up to the apartment to clean off tonight and I don't want to be disappointed when I go to put them on tomorrow.

I got the cup holder and e-brake cover from the SE as well as an armrest from an integra for $10.